Loose Skin?

Options
Ok, this goes out to anyone who has lost a LOT of weight and managed to do it without needing surgery to cut off all the loose skin. My single biggest fear in losing this weight (175 lbs, 50 lost so far) is that I will end up with horrible skin sag. I don't want to have to have surgery at the end of this and I want my skin to be as firm as I can possibly get it. Does anyone have any tips for how I can do this? I've been doing toning exercises on calves, thighs, abs, and arms and so far I don't see much sag, but my skin is starting to look a little loose. Please help!

Replies

• oceansablue
    Options
    Hey!

While I am just starting off on losing weight I had a friend who lost 100+ pounds very quickly and ended up with a lot of loose skin. It was really hard for him to take and because of him I'm, also, afraid of getting loose skin so I've been researching it to try and prevent it.
    So far, everyone seems to agree that the best thing is to not lose weight too quickly, ideally you want to lose like a pound a week. This will give your skin time to adjust. Other dietary things I've seen are to eat lots of protein, drink plenty of water and I've heard diary products help, too. As far as exercise is concerned, toning your body will help stop the appearance of loose skin as well. That's why i try and do a few days of cardio and 1-2 days of strength exercises a week.
    Most importantly, though, remember skin is a living tissue, not an elastic ball that can be over stretched. If you get loose skin you're body will eventually adjust and it will fade, although I have heard it can take up to 2 years for this to happen. I really hope this helps!
  • rbraddy
    rbraddy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just keep up with the toning and whenever it gets easier then do more reps. Example, I do 2 sets of 12 on arm curls with 3 lbs weights. When that gets easy I will do 2 sets of 18 and then 2 sets of 24. When that gets easy I will move up to a 5 lb weight and do 2 sets of 8, then 2 sets of 12, then 2 sets of 18, etc. You will not build muscle when you are doing low weights and lots of reps. You will just get really toned. Hope this helps and keep up the good work!!! :bigsmile:
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Toning and keeping extremely well hydrated help some, but at the end of the day it is mostly determined by how much you have stretched out your skin with extra weight. Also, how long you have been overweight and how old you are. If all of these factors line up for you and you lose down to your ideal weight loose skin cannot be avoided. I am 52, have been obese my whole life and have lost from 325lbs down to 160 and unfortunately have horrible bat wings. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is reality if you have stretched out your skin it will be lose when you lose weight.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Hey!

While I am just starting off on losing weight I had a friend who lost 100+ pounds very quickly and ended up with a lot of loose skin. It was really hard for him to take and because of him I'm, also, afraid of getting loose skin so I've been researching it to try and prevent it.
    So far, everyone seems to agree that the best thing is to not lose weight too quickly, ideally you want to lose like a pound a week. This will give your skin time to adjust. Other dietary things I've seen are to eat lots of protein, drink plenty of water and I've heard diary products help, too. As far as exercise is concerned, toning your body will help stop the appearance of loose skin as well. That's why i try and do a few days of cardio and 1-2 days of strength exercises a week.
    Most importantly, though, remember skin is a living tissue, not an elastic ball that can be over stretched. If you get loose skin you're body will eventually adjust and it will fade, although I have heard it can take up to 2 years for this to happen. I really hope this helps!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Ok, this goes out to anyone who has lost a LOT of weight and managed to do it without needing surgery to cut off all the loose skin. My single biggest fear in losing this weight (175 lbs, 50 lost so far) is that I will end up with horrible skin sag. I don't want to have to have surgery at the end of this and I want my skin to be as firm as I can possibly get it. Does anyone have any tips for how I can do this? I've been doing toning exercises on calves, thighs, abs, and arms and so far I don't see much sag, but my skin is starting to look a little loose. Please help!

In the end, losing the weight is far far more important than having loose skin.

Eat a high protein diet, do resistance training, lose no more than 1% weight per week on average, hydrate and you will minimize loose skin. But whether you get it or not is usually down to genetics and fat distribution. I once had a 60+" waist. I have a little loose skin, but its tightening slowly as I gain muscle mass and go through cut/bulk cycles.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight very slowly. Took nearly 2 years to lose 100, which I hit this past Feb, and have lost 10lbs since. I don't have any sagging skin, from losing it, thank goodness.

Just take your time, add weights into your routine, and eat healthy (and lots of protein).
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well I'm losing on average 3.5 to 4 pounds a week which is about 1% of my starting weight and I imagine it will be slowing as I go to match my weight as I get smaller. I do keep doing the toning exercises and will increase them as they get easier. I eat 100+ g of protein a day, drink at least 12 c. of water a day, and keep my skin well moisturized. Hope it will all be enough.
  • Mama2JAK
    Options
    I know how you feel! This in one of those big unknowns since so much of it is genetics. Some people end up with a lot of loose skin and some don't. Losing weight at a slow healthy pace while replacing fat with muscle is the best way to minimize sag as much as you can.
    I notice the loose skin far more on people who do crash diets or who don't have a good fitness routine.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    counting the weight before joining MFP I'm down about 110 lbs. The previous responses hit the mark. good luck and keep active.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    I'm afraid of this too just do exercise (cardio and weights) to tone up if you keep doing this it will help and also the slower you lose weight the less likely you are to have lose skin
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    In the end, losing the weight is far far more important than having loose skin.

Eat a high protein diet, do resistance training, lose no more than 1% weight per week on average, hydrate and you will minimize loose skin. But whether you get it or not is usually down to genetics and fat distribution. I once had a 60+" waist. I have a little loose skin, but its tightening slowly as I gain muscle mass and go through cut/bulk cycles.

I agree with this. I'm almost at maintenance and though I have some loose skin, it's not anything that bothers me and I definitely don't need surgery. Plus I expect some more tightening as I decrease body fat percentage and let time do its work. I imagine it's a combination of doing everything you've written above, combined with my age and genetic skin elasticity. I'm not going straight to a bikini, but I feel very confident in clothing and a one piece :) Very glad I lost the weight, as that was the most important thing. Little imperfections now aren't worth my time or worry.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Believe me, nothing is going to stop me from losing the weight, even if I end up with a neck that looks like a vagina (if you get the reference you are in my cool books). I'm not worried about minor imperfections and hell...at 295 pounds I'm already comfortable in a one piece. I'll do what I need to do. Was just wondering if there were any tricks I didn't already know about. My sister and mother both lost large amounts of weight with not much loose skin so I have high hopes for the genetics.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    So much of this depends on how long you have been overweight, your age and how quickly you lose it.

For example I have yo-yoed all of my life, never going above 13 stone on my 5 ft 3 in frame but I have lost over 50lbs twice now and I find that at aged 37 my skin has lost alot of it's elasticity and I am left with a fair amount of sag on my stomach and breasts. It isn't extreme enough to need surgery but I'll never wear a bikini again. I have found that as time passes the skin has become a little firmer but not by much at all.

Good luck.