Frustrating morning run (dog related)

Options
I was so excited for my run this morning. It was 55 degrees when I started and sunny (to me that is Perfect running weather). So I take my dog out to the lake and we hit the trail. I have a leash belt so I can be hands free and Gizmo is pretty good at just jogging along next to me (unless we pass another dog - never figured out how to get him to behave in that situation.

Today he lunged or jumped at every person we passed on the trail. He was jumping trying to catch the low flying birds. I just could not get him to focus on the run. Anyway we'll be back to Gizmo focused walks this week trying to re-establish good habits.

Any runners with dog have any tips?

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't run with m dog for two reasons - he's starting to have hip problems (he is a GSD), and he has an aggressive streak.
    One thing I notice with him though is that he really enjoys the weather getting cooler. He has so much more energy now than even last week. So it could just be that your dog is enjoying the cooler weather as much as you are :wink:. The novelty should wear off in a couple of weeks or so...
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't run with m dog for two reasons - he's starting to have hip problems (he is a GSD), and he has an aggressive streak.
    One thing I notice with him though is that he really enjoys the weather getting cooler. He has so much more energy now than even last week. So it could just be that your dog is enjoying the cooler weather as much as you are :wink:. The novelty should wear off in a couple of weeks or so...

That is a good point about the weather. Plus we got our first significant rain in months yesterday so I bet the smells were new and different.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I used to fantasize about running with a dog (on the beach, lol), but I hear that fantasy is oftentimes much better than reality. I'm glad you have a dog that is well enough behaved to run with you usually. My dogs can barely WALK in a straight line. I'll never run with them. I hope you have better luck with Gizmo next time.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My dog often goes after rabbits when running. I usually have to go with her for a few feet till I can pull her back. We used a water pistol to get her to stop reacting to other dogs. She is friendly and would want to go say hi (not aggressive). The water pistol worked but did not work with the rabbits. I need to find a way to stop her from chasing rabbits while we are running.

I use a hand held leash so that I have control over her 98% of the time. I don't think a waist leash would work. I could not give her the little tugs and such which helps control and train her.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Every time he lunges or gets off track you should stop. I know it's annoying but it works. Some dogs get it faster than others. I am a dog walker. People hire me to pet sit and tell me don't bother walking because the dog is out of control. I always see that as a challenge. I've trained many out of control dogs to walk or run.

I think it's great you include your dog on a run. I bet he loves it. Just be a little patient, okay, a lot of patience is required. I don't use waist leashes at all myself. My own dogs can knock me off the couch just by kicking so I never give anyone a chance to pull me down. The most important part of any problem is correction at the right time.

Hang in there, he will get it.

I'm so jealous of your weather! 55 is cold to me but it would be a welcome change. We had low 70's last night due to rain and I was chilly.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely going to have to try the water gun thing (although Gizmo will stick his head in a sprinkler so it might not work for him).

I only use the waist leash on our long runs ( I'm pretty solid so he can't pull me over). We'll have to hit training hard again this week.

Thanks again for the feedback!
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you spend a lot of time with the dog, training them to focus on you when you make a certain sound, or say a particular word, you can get them to ignore that which they want to lunge at. I have an Akita who hunts small mammals for fun and chases birds when at off-leash parks, but is perfect on a leash. It took a lot of work, and a very long time, but it is so worth the work and the effort. It makes for happy doggy and happy dog mommy.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Every time he lunges or gets off track you should stop. I know it's annoying but it works. Some dogs get it faster than others. I am a dog walker. People hire me to pet sit and tell me don't bother walking because the dog is out of control. I always see that as a challenge. I've trained many out of control dogs to walk or run.

I think it's great you include your dog on a run. I bet he loves it. Just be a little patient, okay, a lot of patience is required. I don't use waist leashes at all myself. My own dogs can knock me off the couch just by kicking so I never give anyone a chance to pull me down. The most important part of any problem is correction at the right time.

I'm so jealous of your weather! 55 is cold to me but it would be a welcome change. We had low 70's last night due to rain and I was chilly.

I tried that to no avail with my dog :sad: We adopted him at approximately 4-5 years old...maybe if I kept at it longer, I don't know, it could've eventually sunk in.

I had good luck with the gentle leader - some people are for this some, others not so much. Google it, very inexpensive and it did work for us. However, it still didn't stop him from wanting to pee everywhere and trip me up....so, most of the time when I run with my Ranger, we head out into wooded trails and he can run free. He is very good about coming back and "checking" on me and taking off again. He loves it!!!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Rather than a water gun (negative stimulus) I would recommend rewarding good behavior (staying with you, focusing on you) with a small treat, like a tiny fragment of a soft treat. This is how I trained my dog not to be reactive to other dogs, people or rabbits on walks. You just need to teach the "look" command and then you can use it whenever you want his attention. Hold the treat in front of your face and say "look" -- when he looks at your face, give him the treat. Eventually he will look at you whenever you say "look" which distracts him from the bad behavior, plus he gets a treat so it is a positive experience. I also usually give my dog a treat randomly when walking if he is staying by my side or looking at me.

I also run with my dog and he is usually very good -- the other day he tripped me for the first time, he was looking at something across the street and bumping into the back of my legs. Unfortunatly I was sprinting at the time -- ouch!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options

I tried that to no avail with my dog :sad: We adopted him at approximately 4-5 years old...maybe if I kept at it longer, I don't know, it could've eventually sunk in.

I had good luck with the gentle leader - some people are for this some, others not so much. Google it, very inexpensive and it did work for us. However, it still didn't stop him from wanting to pee everywhere and trip me up....so, most of the time when I run with my Ranger, we head out into wooded trails and he can run free. He is very good about coming back and "checking" on me and taking off again. He loves it!!!

I am all for gentle leaders. One of mine uses it. He rubs his face on everyone in petsmart hoping they will take it off. He has worn it for two years. lol. What a baby. He isn't a bad puller and I don't always put it on him. The 100 lb beast I have doesn't wear one. She has fear issues, better now, but she doesn't pull. She will lay down and it's hard to get her back up. Sometimes she is just a brat and will roll over knowing people think it's cute and will rub her tummy. Then I end up pushing and sliding her to the door. Oh whacky dogs.

Good for you for adopting an older dog. I love that. I work with dogs and do rescue. You just made my day:)
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options

I am all for gentle leaders. One of mine uses it. He rubs his face on everyone in petsmart hoping they will take it off. He has worn it for two years. lol. What a baby. He isn't a bad puller and I don't always put it on him. The 100 lb beast I have doesn't wear one. She has fear issues, better now, but she doesn't pull. She will lay down and it's hard to get her back up. Sometimes she is just a brat and will roll over knowing people think it's cute and will rub her tummy. Then I end up pushing and sliding her to the door. Oh whacky dogs.

Good for you for adopting an older dog. I love that. I work with dogs and do rescue. You just made my day:)

Yay! Glad I could make your day! When we arrived at the shelter, it was between Ranger and a 6 month old chocolate lab...I knew right away who we were taking home. He is such a good dog, a mix of who knows what, but all ours!
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    i LOVE running w my dog!!!!!!! Been doing it for eight years; my first running partner/dog was rained beautifully for off-leash running... it was great, but every now and again, I'd have to put her back on for a gentle reminder. My new dog in mostly on-leash, and still needs some obedience work.
    Anyways, do you take him everyday or was yesterday the first time in a while? Mine is always all over the place if we've skipped a few days. Or something really interesting could've been through leaving crazy smells that set him off. Or maybe that brisk, crispy morning was just making him feel spunky too! Best solution I've found is the gentle leader collar attachment- goes around his nose like a lose muzzle. It doesn't muzzle, but does cause his nose to pull down he he pulls your leash, which is not painful, but very aggravating to him! And it works like a charm!