What food have you discovered on the road to health?

Options

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Quark! Perfect for mousses/cheesecake/quiches, 20g of protein in a 150cal DESSERT - it's amazing :)

Where did you guys find it? I ate it all the time when I lived in Germany and I haven't found it in the US!
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i have tried quinoa and i loved it!! i had never tried it before, but i wanted something with protein and fiber and low in calories. so yummy!!
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, greek yoghurt, oatmeal, peanut butter and cottage cheese. I never eat any of these until about 18 months ago. Now they're the main staples in my diet.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt

this plus
    almond and hazelnut milks
    pb2
    babybel light

what is pb2?
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For me, it's fresh herbs. I've always liked fresh herbs and spices, but I didn't realize how many nutritional benefits they can offer. Having my own basil plant is awesome; I can just pick and throw a few leaves of basil on top of my salad and the flavor's so strong/fabulous that I don't need dressing! Plus, it's a natural antibiotic and it's full of iron, which I'm often low on. There are lots of other herbs and spices I love lately, too. When trying to eat healthy, they are a lifesaver because they keep everyday dishes from tasting bland.
  • Rosebudevol
    Rosebudevol Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had to google some of the above foods. Never heard of Quark, fage or mochi. Interesting.

I am so glad I am not the only one!!!
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, quark, dragonfruit and avocados. YUMMY!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Quark! Perfect for mousses/cheesecake/quiches, 20g of protein in a 150cal DESSERT - it's amazing :)

Ah I used to have quark in everything! lol

Where do you find quark? I have never even heard of that!

I found some on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Vemont-Butter-and-Cheeese-Co/dp/B0000D9N68/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=6D7Q2DPXUKFL&coliid=I2P64AD3JC651R
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Organic kefir with fresh blueberries & peaches, Smooth Operator peanut butter on Ezekiel Whole Grain Sprouted Bread toasted with 1/2 an organic banana & cinnamon, shirataki tofu noodles (linguine style), heirloom tomatoes with freshly grated parmesan, sprouted lentils with vegetables, arugula, fresh basil & parsley, salmon, tilapia, eggs, green juice. Can't live without that list!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Kale!
  • LosingWeight4Good
    LosingWeight4Good Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Lemon hummus
    pickled things - beets, green beans, assorted veggies
    and new respect for the EGG! LOL
  • snoopynut1972
    snoopynut1972 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt

this plus
    almond and hazelnut milks
    pb2
    babybel light

what is pb2?

dry powdered peanut butter. Great in smoothies.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Swiss cheese. Horrible by itself, but put anything with it and nom nom nom.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone, a lot of new things to discover now!
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    mainly, how delicious and satisfying (most) whole/real foods are.

and how to home-make those yummy staples of 'processed' foods I couldn't quite give up: peanut (now almond) butter, fruit jams w no sugar added, ketchup, salsa, yogurt, pizza...
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame.
  • lindamr1957
    lindamr1957 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Quaker Rice cake with Nutella spread on top. Delicious
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Halva (or Halvah). It's like a delicious "fudge" made out of sesame seed paste. My favourite is the marble one, made with chocolate.
  • jaly92
    jaly92 Posts: 91
    Options

Ah I used to have quark in everything! lol

Where do you find quark? I have never even heard of that!

Most supermarkets in the UK sell it - it's usually located in an aisle with the goat's cheese/Camembert/continental cheeses.

It's a virtually fat-free soft-cheese, it has a bit of a yoghurty texture but I put it in savoury dishes without a problem or just add some aspartame sweetener to it/mix it with some natural yoghurt when I use it in sweet dishes!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Hummus!! I love it <3 and those little sweet peppers. Yum =D