I think I'm losing it

Options
Not sure what to do. I'm really struggling and looking for any help and motivation I can find. Not logging my food because I haven't cared what I'm eating. I have officially gained back all but 3 pounds of the 10 I had lost when motivated and logging. I know it's as simple as logging and being more active but the motivation isn't there. I haven't cared about much of anything for about 2 months now. What do I do? I hate the way I look and how my clothes fit.

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you maybe/are depressed. Not advocating drugs but talk to you doc. Take a daily walk outside in the sunlight - amazing what extra light and motion can do for your mood and motivation. Take the time to find one thing of beauty each day. Remember and reimage a happy event in your life each day. The brain reacts to the memory the same as the actual event.

Take it one day at a time, you can do it!
  • Wilson336
    Options
    Unfortunately, only you know what is going to motivate you. It is different for everyone. For some it may be a picture of themselves, for others it could be an upcoming vacation or reunion. One thing that gets me going is to sign up for some activity, like a 5k (or maybe a run/walk charity event). Once I have made the commitment, it keeps me going even when I want to sit and eat a bag of chips instead.
  • ashleyconstantine
    ashleyconstantine Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am suffering from PPD, after having my baby on July 6th. Exercsing always lifts my mood and clears my mind. When I have no motivation, I think about being so happy after my workout. It's really the best medicine. I'd talk to your doc just to be safe though.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've been in your shoes--knowing that I needed to do something, but not feeling the motivation to do ANYTHING. All I know is that for me, one day all of the planets aligned, and it was finally easier--not easy, but easier--to get started. I highly recommend exercise. The endorphins will improve your mood, and it may be just what you need to kick start your motivation. Best wishes to you!
  • asticoral
    Options
    Been there and I'm sure everyone has, you're not alone!

The only way to fix how you feel about yourself is to repair your outlook.

You have a very engaging smile use that to get going on the next step!
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    Not sure what to do. I'm really struggling and looking for any help and motivation I can find. Not logging my food because I haven't cared what I'm eating. I have officially gained back all but 3 pounds of the 10 I had lost when motivated and logging. I know it's as simple as logging and being more active but the motivation isn't there. I haven't cared about much of anything for about 2 months now. What do I do? I hate the way I look and how my clothes fit.

Forget the diet!

I know this sounds stupid but if you have a hang up about it then it won't work. Are there other influences in your life at the moment that need to be dealt with? Could you be depressed? Get a check up from your GP so that you know you are in good shape (always advisable when starting weight loss anyway).

Each day, just keep a food diary. Be honest - but don't feel guilty about anything. You could do this by logging on mfp. Set you mfp goal at maintain so that you don't get put off by going over all the time. But I really would start without mfp so you don't start calorie counting - just logging. See if there are any patterns developing - do you comfort eat etc.?

Dieting won't work in the log term anyway - it's lifestyle changes, not just a short term solution. Once you've check your behaviour patterns and are ready, then try to make some changes - bored / upset instead of heading for the fridge, go for a walk, or even shout into a pillow (that's not putting extra cals into you). What ever makes you feel better instead of food.

Simple changes will help, but don't beat yourself up you will have good and bad days.

Once you are ready start logging onto mfp again, set a realistic daily cal goal, something you can maintain. Then see it as a lifestyle choice, not a diet. One day at a time - you can do it!!!

Start loving yourself cause you are worth it.:wink:
  • nguyen4ever
    Options
    Sounds like you maybe/are depressed. Not advocating drugs but talk to you doc. Take a daily walk outside in the sunlight - amazing what extra light and motion can do for your mood and motivation. Take the time to find one thing of beauty each day. Remember and reimage a happy event in your life each day. The brain reacts to the memory the same as the actual event.

Take it one day at a time, you can do it!

I think this is an extreme assessment here about depression. i just think tifalva just needs some motivation. Hardest part is getting that motivation within; getting the support from those around you and even those here on MFP forums only come after you find it within yourselfa. I too had a very hard time losing weight, I went years thinking I couldn't do it but it wasn't until more recently that I was able to fully believe in myself and those around me to push me as well. I don't post very much on here as I generally just read but this forum has a lot of good success stories that I used as some sort of internal motivation.

Logging food was the very first step for me to fully commit, you know its easy and it worked in the past so its just about getting back into a routine of doing it. I admit I strayed away from it and it bite me in the butt so now I'm working on doing it again. Best of luck to you!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I go through this every month. I'll have a couple good weeks of eating healthily and exercising, and then I'll just want to sleep and eat fattening foods. I have been diagnosed as bipolar, but I think even people without a mental health "problem" go through tides of positivity and negativity. The seasons, the moons, the sunlight, and life . . . affects our moods and motivation.

For me, it's about creating my own motivation. Getting out in the sunlight helps a LOT, and planning an outdoor activity is even better. Take your lunch outside and eat it slowly, enjoying all the nutritious properties. Or go for a short bike ride, not focusing on calories burned, but on the lovely outdoors! Or if you're more outgoing than I am, plan an outdoor party or hike with a bunch of friends.

Exercise always heightens my motivation, but I have to BE motivated to do it in the first place, so it's like the chicken and the egg. If you can trick yourself into exercising-- like the hike with friends, or just swimming for fun or something, you might be more motivated to "REALLY" exercise.

As far as the eating goes, it's the same kind of thing. If you're feeling lazy and tired and hungry, sometimes you just have to force yourself to make something healthy anyway, and by the time you've eaten it you're glad you did and you're full. This isn't always the case, of course. There have been many times when I ate a tiny but nutritious lunch and then decided I still wanted to eat crap/junkfood/fast food and DID. But usually eating a healthy meal gives me so much more energy that I immediately remember why I'm doing this. Eating fast good always makes me so tired and sluggish.

Other than those things, do focus on your mental health and your emotional wellbeing. These things are directly connected to your physical health. I find that yoga marries the two perfectly for me, and even just meditating can make me slow down and make better choices. If yoga's not your thing, though, maybe you can find something that is. It doesn't even to be exercise. Maybe painting or reading a favorite book from your childhood will help you get in touch with your inner self, the "true" self, according to yoga, that knows what is best for you and will provide you with motivation. Good luck!
  • Dedicatediva
    Dedicatediva Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey! Your greatest motivation comes from self. You don't like the way you look in your clothes or how you feel DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! You have to care about what your eating and what you allow to enter your body in order for you not only to lose weight but feel healthy. Remember it's 80/20 80% is what you eat and 20 percent is exercise. You have to care about you or no one else will. Good luck!!!!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Try to get into a habit with exercise. If you are depressed, the boost will make you feel better and happier.
    It takes about 66 days to form a habit. Allow yourself to eat what you like, but make sure you log it. You will see exactly what you're eating that way. Exercise for 20 minutes every day. Do a dvd, a movement based computer game, or just walk for 20 minutes. You will form the habit and soon your food will fall into the groove as you won't want to "undo" the good your exercise is doing!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some fun high-energy activities that you'll enjoy - something like powerwalking with fun music, Zumba, or lifting heavy. I find that incorporating exercise that I really love boosts my mood and makes me *want* to eat healthier -- my body wants to make sure it has enough high-quality fuel to help me get through the next workout. Plus it shifts the focus off of the scale and onto how you feel, which is valuable in and of itself. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    When you are ready you will get it done. If you want to motivate yourself, start reading the success strories. Write down a list of reasons you want to get healthy. Set some reasonable achievable goals. Blog about the humdrums, get the negative feelings out in writing. Walk of anxiety, get a pedometer and hallange yourself. Think about what your body needs in terms of nutrients and look for the good stuff when feeding it. Attach yourself to a positive person and try and get what they got.
    When you are ready you will get it done.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not to simplify things, but actually, exercise is the best thing that you can do when you're feeling like this.

There are days when I just feel like sitting down with a gigantic bag of crisps/chips and eating them all and hang the consequences because "hell, I'm never going to get to where I want to be, I've destroyed my body with years of neglect what's the point?"

Then I go for a swim.

I realise how much I can do with this wonderful machine that I am in charge of and how great it feels to be able to be out and about doing things with my loved ones and not trapped in the sofa like I was before.

Obesity is a horrible illness that steals your life from you, the way to think of things is, this time next year is going to come anyway, what you do now will affect how you will be when you get there.
  • wildcelticrose
    wildcelticrose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So forget about what has been gained back; that's done and over with.

YOU LOST THREE POUNDS AND KEPT IT OFF!!!

That's an accomplishment and your new starting point.

In addition to logging food, exercise will help burn calories AND hopefully make you feel better and more motivated.

Find activities that you enjoy, that are fun. Bicycling, roller skating, hiking hula hooping.

Maybe join a local club, group or meetup that engages in these activities.
  • Magnamus
    Magnamus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Assuming your just in a funk and not depressed... Here's some tips I use. (I am not an expert just friendly)

Take a deep breath or a few and decide your going to be fit, do this as many time as it takes everyday. Repeat

Start telling yourself your beautiful and you will get more beautiful. By the way, you are beautiful :D

Try to place your exercises in the morning as part of your routine. (Imagine how gross your mouth would feel if you didn't brush, Now imagine exercise cleans your body from the inside and it will be gross if you don't do it... Picture plaque build up on your insides if you skip)

Start looking at healthy foods and exercise as a special privilege. Appreciate the fact you have the freedom to do them.

Re-Start with an easy to attain goal. like 15 min of exercise right after you wake up, then gradually add to the amount of exercise you do based on how you feel. (i.e. add 5 min of the same, add light weights, add a new exercise, etc...)

Compare or compete with your friends in your own way, If one of your friends works out everyday try to keep up with them using your own choice of exercise.

Leave your diary open to public. It makes you accountable and you're more likely to receive better help from the community.

Last but not least... Know that you have it in you to succeed. You just have to seize it for yourself.
  • justajiffy
    Options
    Hi - I have seriously lacked motivation over most things for the past few years. Despite my younger brother dying young just 4 yrs ago unbelievably motivation still did not kick in - even though I have two kids and his were under 5 at the time. Our mother also died young when we were young. I put my weight on in my mid twenties and it has just gone on gradually over the years - I have never lost more than say 4 or 5 pounds. I say I will diet and by mid morning I have given in. This was always the pattern.

However I found mfp last Monday and couldn't believe that because I was able to log on my phone during the day how I suddenly seemed able to make the right choices without it being too difficult. This first weekend has not been disastrous but I have succumbed a little. But I have still logged my food (and lack of exercise!) as I think this will be the difference between me, finally, making a go of it and not giving in.

I would love to be one of those people that all of a sudden a photo or event just clicks within their brain but I am not there yet.

SO - I am going to make sure I log everything and log in here everyday, as I think that might just make the difference.

How about I promise to not loose heart and log everyday and you do too with me?
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Why dont you just start small again, just log your food. Good bad it doesn't matter just get back in the swing of logging. Dont lose hope you did it once before you can do this again. We all fall down every once in awhile but dont give up on you. You are worth the effort, now you just need to believe it also. I know you know this because you are asking for the help.
  • tifalva
    tifalva Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wow, the instant support is amazing :-) I've seen posts before that haven't gotten much feedback and was half-expecting that to be the case with me. Every one of you are amazing and has made me smile for the first time today.

Justajiffy: I agree to do that also:-)

Myphoto: thank you for the tips and conpliment:-) I will definitely start putting them into practice.
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    First off. You are awesome, and everyone get's into a funk from time to time so don't be too hard on your self.

Secondly, I've seen depression mentioned a couple times on this thread... it makes me wonder, have you had your thyroid checked?
    Just curious because I have hypothyroid and weight gain, fatigue and depression are a part of that. I'm on a low dose of Synthroid and slowly getting my stamina and happiness back.

It may be something to get checked out if you can. =) You may just need to give your thyroid a little help. =)

((hugs)) Good luck!

--> Some info on Hypothyroidism for you to peek at to see if anything rings a bell ---> www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001393/
  • tifalva
    tifalva Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    First off. You are awesome, and everyone get's into a funk from time to time so don't be too hard on your self.

Secondly, I've seen depression mentioned a couple times on this thread... it makes me wonder, have you had your thyroid checked?
    Just curious because I have hypothyroid and weight gain, fatigue and depression are a part of that. I'm on a low dose of Synthroid and slowly getting my stamina and happiness back.

It may be something to get checked out if you can. =) You may just need to give your thyroid a little help. =)

((hugs)) Good luck!

--> Some info on Hypothyroidism for you to peek at to see if anything rings a bell ---> www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001393/

Thank you for the suggestion, yes I have had my thyroid tested several times and each time it is within normal limits. Inside I'm healthy as a horse :-)