New diet someone sent me- should I try it?

Options
124»

Replies

• MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I personally, will not try any 'diet' that I cannot maintain long term. Anything that I do to lose weight fast, will be back just as fast when I go 'off' the eating plan. The goal should be to find that balance that you can live with for life!
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did this diet a lot when i was in high school...its a diet that good when u want to lose pounds fast for a special event or something once u start eating regular foods u gain it back its a diet orginally started in the hospitals for heart patients
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    To elaborate on my previous comments and hopefully steer you in the right direction:

Weight loss is caused from creating an energy deficit. Essentially, eat less calories than you burn. Nutrient sufficiency is also important (micronutrients, and protein/carb/fat grams) but very generally speaking, you need to eat less than you burn.

So, if someone hands you a list of food and says "Eat this *kitten* for 2 weeks", it would work as long as that list of crap totals less calories than you burn. And in most cases with these fad diets, the list of foods for you to eat is not calorie dense, so you lose weight.

But the issue is, you could ALSO lose weight without eating food off of some arbitrary list. Rather than eating a bunch of bananas or continually eating cabbage soup, you could just eat pretty much whatever the hell you want, in the correct quantities, and lose weight just fine.

Here's what I'd do:

1) Create a reasonable calorie deficit.
    2) Consume adequate macronutrients (Protein and fat minimums need to be met. Eat at least enough carbs to train hard).
    3) Exercise. Resistance training will "probably" be a great idea.
    4) Just use some common sense with your food. If you want a cookie, eat a cookie. Don't eat 30 cookies. Etc.
    5) Rest.

And don't look for any gimmicks or shortcuts. Just do the above. That's it. Period.

And get up again and do it tomorrow.

And be patient.

^ This is so true.

There is NO easy quick fix to losing weight. If you did lose weight quick from some fad diet like the one above, chances are once you start eating like you normally do, you'll gain it all right back. If it's too good to be true in the diet world, it probably is. Simple as that.

Just eat sensibly, work out, and learn to control your portions. Eat 5-6 SMALL meals a day to keep your metabolism high, and drink lots of water. It's all common sense if you want to lose it right and healthy. Oh, and it's A LOT of patience.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Looks like this old piece of crap fad diet is making the rounds under different names these days:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/710546-the-g-m-diet

Sounds awesome. Lose all kinds of lean body mass, jacking your bodyfat percentage up, then gain a bunch of fat when your hormones are all screwed up and you revert to a normal diet. You're now fatter and look squishier than you were before. What's not to like?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's a blast from the past! My mom used to do this diet several times a year back in the 70's and 80's. Today she is heavier than ever, but that diet helped her take off a bunch of weight short term.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Gosh.. I was just asking.. Some people are rude on here huh?

Wont do it! Got it!

Shoving is rude. Shoving a person out of the way of a speeding vehicle is heroic. Don't confuse the two.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Shoving is rude. Shoving a person out of the way of a speeding vehicle is heroic. Don't confuse the two.

I love it!

Seriously, EIGHT bananas a day! My friend's mother did this many years ago and ended up in hospital with chest pains due to elevated potassium levels as a result of eating WAY too many bananas.
  • BritneyGross
    Options
    I am on this diet right now, i lost 3 pounds in 5 days but i feel deprived so i am going back to normal eating. But this diet does really clean your system out! lol
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Really? No, no you should not try it. A loss of 10-17lb a week is incredibly dangerous and you'd just gain all that weight back plus more when you start eating like a normal human being again.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    It is the OLD cabbage soup diet... From back in the 80's.. Don't do it. It doesn't work.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    hahaha please tell me that is actually a joke! :laugh:

Thats what I thought when I saw FARMVILLE. It would have been better had it BEEN a joke.
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is just a re-do of the "Cabbage Soup Diet" that has been going around for years.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    I stopped reading after Farmville diet.
  • chantabelle
    chantabelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know this diet but not as the farmville diet its also on the internet as fat reducing soup diet or some crap! Two of my work colleagues did it and lost about 5lbs each in a week. I was tempted but then I thought what Im doing is already working so why mess with it :-)
  • baylor110311
    baylor110311 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't diet! Eat right and workout and you will lose weight the healthy way. There is no way losing 10-17 lbs in 7 days is healthy!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I am on this diet right now, i lost 3 pounds in 5 days but i feel deprived so i am going back to normal eating. But this diet does really clean your system out! lol
    So does drinking the water in third-world countries - but I'd hardly call it "healthy" or recommend it. I'm still waiting for somebody to show scientific proof that forcibly purging everything from your body (not to mention chronically dehydrating yourself in the process) is a "healthy" thing to do. The human body has a built-in cleansing/detox mechanism in your kidneys, liver and intestines - it doesn't need to be "cleansed" or "detoxed" by artificial means.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    RIDICULOUS!

TWO 10 oz serving of beef in one day with hamburger being OK?

What about the part in the Feast Day where it mentions that you will eat the equivalent of 5 Quarter pounders? Only I think he spelled in, "ponder" hahaha.

@OP How are we rude? That's a funny *kitten* email and you asked for opinions lol.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    You lost me at 10-17lbs a week. I think (hopefully) you already knew this was ridiculous before you posted.
  • wildcelticrose
    wildcelticrose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

OMG, this quote is made of so much awesome.