Fitbit

Options
kj55
kj55 Posts: 14 Member
I am considering buying a fitbit. Just wondering if anyone uses one and if they would recommend it. I know there was chat on here about them a while back but I can't seem to find the posts anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• ange5209
    ange5209 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just ordered one today. I'm hoping that it helps me. Everything I've read about it is good. I will let you know what it's like as soon as i get it.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    yes! I love my fitbit its awesome, I bought it in April and I wear it day and night. I do a lot of walking as well, and I wear it to my zumba class as well. The fitbit tracks your steps 3 dimensionally, so if your walking up hill or down hill it will log every 10 feet of elevation as a floor, like my normal route on my local nature trails is 2.4 miles and 8 floors. On the fitbit site you can look at all these charts showing your sleep, your deficient, how many hours sitting vs moving, a few other things. I would say its worth the money. You can find a used or refurbished fitbit online, I bought mine refurbished for $68. Actually mine was free, the one I bought didn't end up working, so after talking to fitbit's costumer service (super nice people!) and they couldn't get it working either they mailed me a brand new one completely free even took care of shipping. So then I returned the dead one and got a full refund.
  • kafullam
    kafullam Posts: 84
    Options
    I just bought one the other day and have been using it for 2 days now. So far, I really like it - I put it on in the morning and then check in every once in a while. You are able to sync your fitbit with mfp which is great. I 'm still learning all the features on it, but so far so good.
  • kj55
    kj55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that its not good for tracking workouts. Is this true? I want to track circuit classes, running and cross trainer as well as everyday activities.
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit! I wear it all of the time (except in the shower or any time water is concerned). If' you are remotely competitive then adding friends on their site is fun. There's a leader board and you get ranked according to various activities.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love mine and wear it all day long. It helps me to know how much movement I have had for the day. It only measures stepping type of activities like walking, jogging, running, and stair clmbing. It determines stairs by the change in altitude and every 10 foot increase counts as one flight of stairs. If you use a stair stepping machine you will not gain stairs because you do not gain altitude.

It is a vital tool in my journey and works well for my activities. My Dr. won't allow me to do any weight lifting and I can not jog or run so my exercise routine consists of walking up to about 4.5 miles per hour.
  • dianafuss
    Options
    I love my fitbit. It is great for walking, running and stairs. I wear it all the time. Always forget to track my sleep though!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that its not good for tracking workouts. Is this true? I want to track circuit classes, running and cross trainer as well as everyday activities.

I wear mine to zumba class it's pretty accurate.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I love mine! It's a great activity tracker and has been a great motivator for me to move during the day. The only drawback is its not a true Heart Rate Monitor, so things like strength training will not be as accurate.

I bought mine used for $70 but would buy it new in a second. I am going to get a real HRM to compliment it during my workouts, though.
  • rst12267
    rst12267 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i'VE BEEN USING MINE FOR ALMOST A MONTH NOW AND ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I THINK I BORDER ON OBSESSION. I CHECK ON IT PERIODICALLY DURING THE DAY TO SEE IF I NEED TO BUMP UP MY ACTIVITY. IF I DON'T MAKE 10000 I FEEL REALLY BUMMED. I THINK ITS BEEN A BIG HELP TO ME TO KEEP MYSELF OFF MY BUTT!
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. Wear it all the time, day and night, unless I am swimming or showering (and water activities). I started losing again after using it and seeing just how active I am. Good luck to you!
  • bsbbaby3
    bsbbaby3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my fitbit! It is excellent! I still have to record when I swim & also I record my biking and boxing as I don't take many steps. But as long as you put in the correct times your fitbit adjusts to calculate correctly around the activities you manually put in. It also keeps me on track on those days I am resting to get up and still go for a walk to get my 11,000 steps in. You can make your goals higher. Also if you join earnit you get points from working out towards trials of cool work-out supplies to try!
  • sjwhite7
    sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I'm pretty obsessed with mine. If I forget to remove it from my pj's in the morning when I get dressed I get stressed. LOL I give it credit for getting me through my plateau. I am now 4lbs away from my goal and couldn't be happier. When I do things like ride my bike or swim I just start the stopwatch and then enter my exercise when I return home. This thing has become a healthy habit for me. It is a wonderful motivator, a eye opener, and a all around useful tool in my weightloss journey. I really recommend this product.
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's a great tool. It has little motivational messages when you first pick it up for the day. I wear it pretty much every day. I always try to get in at least 10,000 steps a day. I like this way it syncs with MFP to give you your exercise calories.
  • lcpruitt
    lcpruitt Posts: 11
    Options
    I love my fitbit since having things to measure really keeps me motivated! I would say though that you should be careful where you wear it especially when you exercise. The display on mine stopped working and when I contacted fitbit about it they said most likely some sweat got inside (I used to wear it on my sports bra when I run). They are replacing it for free, but I will definitely be more careful in the future about making sure it stays dry!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I love it. It has definitely made me aware of when I need more sleep, and when I need to move more throughout the day.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    I definitely join the people recommending Fitbit. I love mine. I was pretty active before with my job and walking everywhere anyway so I bought one to track what I do accurately as well as to push myself to do more.
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options

I believe a HRM is more accurate to track workouts, and a fitbit to track every day activities. I don't really like the idea of wearing a device all day, but that's just me.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Yes this is true. Any activities other than walking and running, it is not accurate. This is why when you do an activity such as cycling, you still wear your fitbit (no need to take it off during the day at all) but when you manually log that exercise on MFP (or fitbits site/app, they link together) you are required to put in the time and duration of that work out, then it will automatically disregard additional calories burned logged by the fitbit during that time duration.