I am going for surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Good nutrition speeds recovery. I'd eat at maintenance for those two weeks, and get back on the losing bandwagon when you get the ok to exercise again.

I'd rather have two weeks of not losing weight than have a prolonged recovery period because I was eating to lose instead of eating to heal.

This, you're undergoing surgery. Focus on getting better, as opposed to what's on the scale for those two weeks. Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    MFP is set so u don have to exercise to lose, a deficit is built in already. Stick to ur cals and u shud b fine.

Yep. Stick to your calorie goal and eat healthy foods.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Snap. But I won't be able to walk for a couple of weeks after so I'm just going to make sure I have nothing in the house that can tempt me and I'm not going to beat myself up if I do have a slight gain, it will come off again once I'm mobile.

Good luck with your op x
  • lovelessofme
    Options
    I just had knee surgery last month. I gained 10 pounds that week, but it came off within a week as well. I ate the same, You have to remember why you are doing this..... Surgery is a bump in the road....

You got this!
  • fins76
    fins76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to be patient with yourself and not get too frustrated. I had a laparoscopic 'woman' surgery a few years ago, and when they said six weeks recovery, they meant it. It was a major surgery and overactivity during recovery could have led to numerous serious health problems down the road...I was encouraged by my doctor to take walks starting one week afterwards, and they helped tremendously with my mood and healing. Anyway, if this is a procedure that may cause hormone changes, just stay positive and work with your doctors. It may take time to get your body back in balance, and in this time, your weight may fluctuate. But if you maintain your routines as best as you can and exercise your healthy eating habits, you'll be ready to jump right back on track once your body is ready to get going again too.
  • leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You've got lots of time to plan, why not make up a daily menu for each day...at least for the first week? That way, you'll have your shopping done ahead, and everything in order! Peace of mind is worth everything, especially when you're not feeling well.

Good luck~

Very good idea, I'd suggest the same!
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've, thankfully, never had to have surgery, but my advice would be to give yourself the time you need to fully heal. Eat what your body needs (doctor orders) and set dates in your calendar to reevaluate. Decide on October 15th whether you're ready to get back on the horse. If you're not feeling it, set another date on your calendar for a week or two later. Keep doing that until you feel you can go back. Don't push yourself before you're ready, because that would be a surefire way to fail.
    I agree .. Don't push yourself.. If possible keep with MFP and keep us informed on how you are.. :flowerforyou:
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out last summer and it took about 4 weeks till I could do everything again. Just take it easy. Good luck.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    :blushing: I lost 11 pounds when I had my gallbladder removed -- with all the fasting beforehand and whatnot -- and I kept it off too.

Don't be scared.
  • NavyBaby1O1
    Options
    I would say lot's of fruit and veggies throughout the day; and for dinner fish or grilled chicken. Also this site might help. http://surgery.about.com/od/aftersurgery/ss/EatAfterSurgery_6.htm
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance calories for the two weeks. Don't worry about the weight loss for that time; you should focus on allowing your body to heal properly, and for that it needs a full tank of fuel. Eat mostly healthy foods, making sure to get enough each of protein, carbs, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals... but if you feel that you can control your intake, by all means allow yourself some small treats in there. Despite eating at maintenance, definitely track your calories here. Don't give yourself an excuse to go hog-wild. Also, drink your water; that's also very important for healing.

I second the idea to make meals in advance, and freeze them. With a medical condition that leaves me feeling absolutely flattened at times, this has worked very well to keep me on track. Think stir fries, soups, and stews. (for soups: if it has rice or noodles, try leaving those out, freeze the rest of the soup in containers. Then, when the soup is frozen solid, open up the containers and pop the cooked rice/noodles on top of the frozen soup. Stick it back in the freezer. This way, the rice/noodles won't turn out mushy upon reheating).
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: I had a Laparoscopic (sp?) Gall Bladder surgery in October. I IMMEDIATELY got back to walking -- 10 minutes the day of the surgery, then longer as I could do it. I Walked EVERY DAY at the time I usually went to the Gym. That kept my Brain in the "Exercise" mindset. Then after 5 weeks I gradually added back in the machines, avoiding any that were 'Uncomfortable' for 3-4 days before trying them again. When they were all 'Comfortable' to do, - about 6 or 7 weeks - I got back to regular workouts.

AND Keep Logging On here EVERY DAY!!:drinker:
  • CurlyGurlie88
    Options
    hey! I had gastric bypass last year and it's made a big difference in my life! i would suggest that you make sure you follow the diet they give you to follow before you have the surgery to the law! Makes things so much easier for them to work on you! Congrats on doing the surgery! Add me if you like!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I don't know you, but I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, friend!