Net Calories....What Should They Be At?.....HELP!

Options
I am confused on how much my net calories should be by the end of the day in order for me to lose about 2lbs a week.
At the moment I can eat up to 1610 calories a day and I usually hit the gym 5 times a week and burn around 1000 calories for one workout session plus I do weights. I try not to go over 1610 calories even after I worked out and I don't know if that is bad for my body and it is going into starvation mode and slowing down my metabolism. So my overall net calorie comes out to be between 500 - 700.

I currently weigh 295lbs and am 5'4. I have lost about 30 lbs in 3 months and the first 20 came off in good time but I just feel like my weight is not going down consistently. My weight was hovering over 300lbs for about 2 weeks then it started to go down but I really don't know what I did differently for it to start decreasing.

I am just so frustrated and don't know what to do. I even tried to pig out yesterday but my mind didn't let me!!! ARGHHHH!!! I just need some words of wisdom and help to make sure I have consistent weight loss....... THANKS GUYS!

Replies

• kurita3025
    Options
    First off, Congrats on the weight loss so far. It could be that your weight loss seemed to stall due to the fact that you are gaining muscle. Just measuring your weight isn't always the best thing to go by. You might notice a difference if you are taking measurements. Another thing to do is to ensure that you cut back on the sugars and high amounts of carbs. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables is very important. Instead of regular breads try finding a lower calorie bread....Arnold has a good selection and is available in most grocery stores.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    for starters, you need to be netting somewhere in the range of 1,200+ calories. don't work out so much if you can't make yourself/ don't want to eat that much food. cut your carbs by half at least and increase your protein by about 50% and you should start to see some more striking results in body composition and weight loss. good luck!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I've used any of the suggested calculators and some vary but not by much that I've found anyway.

Once you have your TDEE(total daily energy expenditure) which is the amount you would eat to maintain the same weight, you want to subtract maybe 20%. So you have that deficit which will cause you to lose weight at a speed of .5 - 2 lbs. per week. I hear different stories on this and it seems 20% is most recommended. One pound equals 3500 calories so if you want to lose 1 lb per week, then you would eat 500 calories less then your TDEE. I just read this today and am understanding better and better.

500 calories less a day and in 7 days (7 X 500 = 3500) you should lose one lb. Now to me, eating 1000 calories under my TDEE(in order to lose 2 lbs in one week) is just too much in my opinion, for me ok? Not saying for anyone else, but the more I understand about this whole thing, the more I realize slower weightloss is healthier weightloss, IMO.

Feel welcome to look at this link below, I think it is the best but also, the one below that may help you as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-deficit-to-lose-weight/

Let me know if I can help, I am new at this but doing quite a bit of study on it and trying some things out:) denise
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    This is wrong I am almost certain. Please check your calculators, tons available like this one:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

On two different calculators your RMR or BMR is up to at least 2000 calories. That's just to keep you alive if you are in a coma! For a daily calorie expenditure of light activity you would need around 2900 to maintain your weight which of course, you do not want to do that, you want to lose and to lose you subtract a deficit of 20% which is recommended but some doctors and other's will say it is ok to take more of a deficit. So unless I am totally off track which I don't think I am, you need to eat about 1600 per day.

You can look at my diary(open to the public)and see what I eat and I am losing weight by eating that much. Do read Dans Road Map(gave you the link)and you will start to understand. Write me anytime, denise
    for starters, you need to be netting somewhere in the range of 1,200+ calories. don't work out so much if you can't make yourself/ don't want to eat that much food. cut your carbs by half at least and increase your protein by about 50% and you should start to see some more striking results in body composition and weight loss. good luck!