'Special Events'

Options
My boyfriends family is insanely close, they have a get together for anything that can use as an excuse to get together. It's always at a horrible restaurant that is local with no nutritional info available, if that wasn't bad enough it's always followed by cake and ice cream at his parents house. There's at least two of these dinners a month, I'm always sick feeling after them and I have no way to excuse myself without seeming rude. His mom knows I'm trying to watch what I eat but doesn't seem to grasp that when it comes time to give me a massive piece of cake and try to pawn seconds off on me.

His family is all skinny as heck without doing anything to have it so they don't understand needing to watch what goes in your body to get weight off.

Any input would be appreciated greatly.

Replies

• eric5150ii
    eric5150ii Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Something that works is the "Under physician's advice, I cannot have ______". This is not strictly a falsehood, as there is always some doctor somewhere that is against having something. People tend to roll over the statement 'I'm on a diet' or 'I'm watching what I eat', but they almost always back off when this comes from a physician.

It's worth a try.
  • timarii
    timarii Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As far as the restaurant, I would just say to save the calories for those days and make the best choices you can.

For the gatherings, I would personally make something lighter that is a dessert and bring it to share with everyone! Offer to share the recipe and tell than that you want to join in but you have to be mindful of what you are eating so you brought your own guilt free dessert to share! This is a great excuse to try all those incredible healthy-ish dessert recipes all over Pinterest!

I did this, I made a healthy cookie dough dip with all natural graham sticks for memorial day because I knew there would be brownies and other junk. They all loved the dip and wanted the recipe. My dip was gone, there were plenty of brownies left...lol
    (cookie dough dip is made with chickpeas)
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For the gatherings, I would personally make something lighter that is a dessert and bring it to share with everyone! Offer to share the recipe and tell than that you want to join in but you have to be mindful of what you are eating so you brought your own guilt free dessert to share! This is a great excuse to try all those incredible healthy-ish dessert recipes all over Pinterest!

I had thought of this a few times, my boyfriend told me his mother would probably be offended if I didn't eat what she was offering.. I had wanted to make lower cal burgers for a BBQ I was dragged to a few weeks back. =\
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Can you perhaps have a small salad before you go so you're not starving when you get there and so can eat less of the bad food? Are they big on the 'clean your plate' thing? If not, you could just have half the cake/ice cream and throw it out.
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can you perhaps have a small salad before you go so you're not starving when you get there and so can eat less of the bad food? Are they big on the 'clean your plate' thing? If not, you could just have half the cake/ice cream and throw it out.

BEYOND big on the clean your plate thing. My boyfriend will finish my plate AT HOME if I'm full. But at his parents I kind of just get him glaring at me to finish eating.