Hello, I am new to the site and need support

Options
Hello. I am a single mother of two teenage daughters. I work as a correctional officer 2nd shift and have been doing a lot of double shifts ( working 2pm to 6am ). I have tried to lose weight many times and have failed many times. I am at 187lbs and would like to get to between 130/140. I am hoping that this site will be my saving grace and I will with the support I hope to receive from people here. I will take off the pounds and keep them off. If any one is willing I would appreciate the friendship and the support. I always did believe in the kindness of strangers. Sometimes I find it hard to talk with my family about my goals and struggles. They just don't seem to understand it. My girls are my cheer leaders but I just need more. Thanks for listening and I welcome all the support I can get.
Cathy :flowerforyou:

Replies

• doloreskent
    doloreskent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    HI Cathy, Just keep up the food plan with realistic goals and you will be successful. Exercise daily. This works!!
  • 48vixen
    48vixen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! We found that by logging your food has made a great change in what we are eating and drinking. I have converted a few really good recipes for those that are diabetic or just want to lose weight. I had surgery to lose the 100 plus pounds I could not get off and then went to culinary school I know a strange thing. I am always just a message away if you need to vent!

Maile
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Welcome - you can do this! The biggest thing is to log faithfully - you'll learn alot about what you're actually eating, if you like most of us. And there's tons of good information on the site, too.

Congratulations for taking this step and welcome to MFP!
  • salois1990
    Options
    I just started too. I am so tired and feel like I am missing out on so much in life because of my weight. I really just want to be healthy and have energy to do fun things. I have a teenage daughter who is a senior this year and I would like to be 50 lbs lighter for her graduation. I have about 90 lbs to lose total. I would love to be support for each other and figure out how to be successful on this journey together :)
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time . Be consistent . Believe in yourself .
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi from another Kathy (only with a K). This site has really helped me get and, more importantly, stay on tract! I'll send you a friend request,
  • couldbeme
    couldbeme Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    hi joined not long as well , some great people on here all in the same boat same fears etc im struggling at the mo and dont seem to be losing anything . inches are going so thatsa good thing dont forget to log everything u eat and exercises walking cleaning ironing u name it log it it great feel free to add me my diet could do with another pair of eyes to scan good luck with ur journey x:drinker:
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Welcome MFP :flowerforyou: Sending friend request, anyone else needs a friend feel free to send me a request!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Great tool for weight loss is the daily logging and encouragement. Wishing you much success.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi! Any and all who wish to add me are welcome, I'm not the best role model right now but working on getting my mind in shape before my body! I'm at maintenance but trying to eat healthy and keep that weight off. :) congratulations on starting MFP, if you have any questions/concerns don't hesitate to ask.

-G
  • lbeaty77
    Options
    Hi Kathy! I am new and looking for friends to help with support too! I am also a current B.S student studying Criminal Justice with hopes of working within the system once I complete my Masters in M.S.S.W. I want to help rehabilate inmates to give them a better chance once back in society.

You can do it! I tell myself that every morning and every night! The one thing that helped me the most was just get moving motto. Doesn't matter what you do, just move. I now Zumba 5 to 6 days a week. I stopped eating processed foods (85%) and my family and I cook and eat all natural foods now. I lost 20 pounds and 20 inches and my husband has even lost a few pounds too. We are getting more and more healthy as the days go by.

Never give up, even when you make an eating mistake, just let it go and get back on track the next time you eat. Don't be too hard on yourself but hard enough to keep yourself motivated! Good luck and I hope to talk to you soon!!

La Donna
  • Inyosi
    Inyosi Posts: 19
    Options
    Welcome! Like the other ladies have said, there's a ton of support here and this is the one time where I think I can do it!! Add me as a friend, the more cheerleaders we have, the better!
  • nicolars1977
    Options
    i was skeptic about this site and when i started a week ago i figured i had no patience to log anything, but i slapped myself and said i had to start somewhere and today when i weighed myself i lost 3.6lbs, i was so happy i didnt know what to do with myself and i have a 100lbs to loose so i got to do it, and if stubborn me is doing it i know you can, so welcome and feel free to add me
  • dub73
    dub73 Posts: 70
    Options
    Ditto!!! It really does work!
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Your stats match mine. I have already lost weight just by holding myself accountable through this site. Please feel free to add me. I am looking for more support myself.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Give up as much processed food as possible. Always carry healthy snacks to work. Stay far, far, far ,away from FastFood. On MFP log, log, log. Keep your diary open so others can help if necessary. Welcome and Good Luck.
  • YGSpencer
    Options
    Hi Cathy. I'm new to this sight too. 14 mos ago, I was where you are now. Today, I am where you want to be. I have about 12 more lbs to lose to be at goal. I'm 67 yrs old and I did it, you can too. Just keep plugging away and never quit. Quitting gets you no where. I've been at it for 14 mos and I'm still a work in progress. Keep the faith and stick to your plan. I'm doing low carb and so far, it's working for me. Good luck to you on your journey. I'll be here also. Hugs.
    Yvette
  • nomorechub68
    Options
    Well, What I will say sounds redundant but it is so true. But 1st I must say this....kudos to you for still having your sanity raising teenagers....LOL. I too, am a mom that has been through the teen years...(my youngest is a senior this year)...I have 80 pounds to lose....er, um, nope....68 pounds to lose now! yipeeeeee, because I have already lost 12 pounds since joining MFP early this month~~~!!!!!
    The absolute key to success with losing weight is being accountable, no pills, no magic....simply logging what you eat. When you enter your goals MFP tells you your daily calorie limit so logging really keeps you in check. It is amazing how much more aware I am of what I eat.
    Then 2nd factor is movement...does not need to start out huge, but has to be something. Working in your yard, dancing around your house, playing with your dogs, a nice walk....
    Take advantage of those that are offering friend requests....me for sure......and have fun.....
    You can for sure do this!
  • htalexander
    Options
    Welcome! I have learned sooo much from this site. I just didn't realize how much I was taking it every day and the poor quality of the foods I chose until I got on here! Its very very eye opening! I have been on here about 7 months but have back slid twice for long periods of time. I've lost about 19 total right now but it could have been double that had I logged faithfully. I know when I stay within my calories and do some form of exercise daily it really works! I am always looking for more motivation so would love to be mfp buddies=) o yes, I am also a mom and a student (again lol)! Best of luck!
  • Tracyaz63
    Options
    Hi!!!
    I'm new too, and still learning the ropes. The support here is immeasurable...the people so friendly, helpful and non judgemental...they're...great!!
    Good luck with your journey, and feel free to add me as a friend. I'm not online every day, but I try very hard to be here as often as possible.