Heavy weight lifting heavy weights? Yes or no?

Options
I've been reading NROLFW and other fitness guides (not to mention various success stories on MFP) and I have heard so much about how good lifting weights is for you. However it seems that most of the other women who have had a lot of success with weight lifting have already lost a lot of weight and are now just getting buff. I have about 60-80 lbs to lose--should I hold off on the weights until I lose more, or should I start now? I'm just worried that lifting weights now (alongside the cardio and dieting I'm doing already) will just build muscle under the fat I'm already carrying. Is weight lifting only effective for women without a lot of weight to lose?

Thank you for any advice you can offer. :D

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start now. you wont build too much muscle if you're eating at a deficit. and even then, it would be like 1-4 pounds which is pretty much negligible in terms of size.

i started out with 80 pounds to lose. i've only lost 30 BUT i've lost more inches that i'd thought i would have by this time. for instance one month i lost 3 pounds on the scale but an entire pants size. i'm now rethinking my final goal weight now because if i continue at this pace, i'd be a size 2 at my goal weight which is way smaller than i'd want to be.

i started with NROL4w, but now i'm doing strong lifts
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy things is fun. :)

Start now. The inches will drop, you'll feel better and you'll loose body fat. The scale might not go down as fast as you'd like, but that's because you're gaining muscle.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything Mesha said.

I also started with NROLFW but have moved to StongLifts 5 x 5.

I'm now squatting and deadlifting 85kgs. In Addition to getting smaller and firmer, I feel really strong and there are loads of every day tasks that I can now do with ease that I struggled with before.

I've lost 25kg which is 55lbs.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I lost fat with cardio, but I reshaped my body with heavy weights. I loved NROLFW and now I'm doing my own 5x5 program. Pretty much from what I can tell and from hearing from others on MFP, the heavier you lift, the smaller you get!

Good luck to you! I definitely suggest getting on one of the groups for lifting on MFP. I was on the NROLFW group while on the program, and it really helped to hear what others were doing and to ask questions.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat!!! It does take a long time to build muscle so don't worry you will not end up looking like a bodybuilder, it's dumb that this is a common fear for women, it takes years and years to look like that, it doesn't happen spontaneously. Start lifting and you'll not only loose inches but see muscle tone you've never seen before
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been reading NROLFW and other fitness guides (not to mention various success stories on MFP) and I have heard so much about how good lifting weights is for you. However it seems that most of the other women who have had a lot of success with weight lifting have already lost a lot of weight and are now just getting buff. I have about 60-80 lbs to lose--should I hold off on the weights until I lose more, or should I start now? I'm just worried that lifting weights now (alongside the cardio and dieting I'm doing already) will just build muscle under the fat I'm already carrying. Is weight lifting only effective for women without a lot of weight to lose?

No time like the present to start lifting heavy. The scale will move more slowly, but your body will change dramatically.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You are actually much better off starting while you still have a lot of weight to lose. A good weight training regimen will result in you losing almost no lean body mass. A poor routine consisting of HISS cardio and inadequate protein will look more like 50% fat and 50% muscle. That is the difference between looking toned and healthy, and being skinny-fat with loose skin (i.e. losing 30 pounds of fat vs. 15 pounds of fat and 15 pounds of muscle). In addition, muscle is a lot more metabolically active than fat, so by strength training and eating enough protein you will maintain/increase your BMR, while pure cardio will result in a reduction in metabolic rate.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
    good study if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Note that I am not saying not to do cardio, but make sure you start off with 3 hours a week of strength training (should be all you need/want to do as far as resistance training). After that I would add up to 3 10-15 minute HIIT sessions (sprint/max intensity for 20 seconds rest for 40 is good), then as much low-intensity steady state cardio as you can manage (e.g. walking).

High protein intake is advisable, as it will aid in preservation of lean body mass, as well as providing substantial fat loss advantages (1-1.5g/pound lean body mass per day is a good range).

It's a really good idea to focus on preserving lean body mass now... I've known quite a few people who have lost a ton of weight and been very unsatisfied with their aesthetic outcome. If you think losing weight is hard, try putting on muscle (putting on 1 pound/month is considered extremely good, and you will probably put on a pound of fat along with that pound of muscle).

Hope this is helpful.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights all along..
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    START NOW.

I started lifting heavy when I was over 200 lbs.
    after I'd built the foundation of muscle, I started burning off and revealing the muscle underneath.

more muscle will help rev your metabolism, burn more calories and make things easier in the long run.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Start now!

You won't build much muscle in a deficit, but you'll maintain more as you lose weight instead of losing a combination of both fat and muscle (which is the norm) Plus you'll get loads stronger. Win-win! :happy:

ETA: It's so much easier to maintain muscle now, than gain it after you've reached your goal weight. Far easier.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    lift heavy..and never turn back.. :bigsmile:
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

You want to build muscle under that fat, that way when the fat is obliterated you'll be nice and shapely underneath. Its probably better now that you are still overweight. Because for people that are lean already they have to actually start eating more and gain weight to gain muscle.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You are actually much better off starting while you still have a lot of weight to lose. A good weight training regimen will result in you losing almost no lean body mass. A poor routine consisting of HISS cardio and inadequate protein will look more like 50% fat and 50% muscle. That is the difference between looking toned and healthy, and being skinny-fat with loose skin (i.e. losing 30 pounds of fat vs. 15 pounds of fat and 15 pounds of muscle). In addition, muscle is a lot more metabolically active than fat, so by strength training and eating enough protein you will maintain/increase your BMR, while pure cardio will result in a reduction in metabolic rate.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
    good study if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Note that I am not saying not to do cardio, but make sure you start off with 3 hours a week of strength training (should be all you need/want to do as far as resistance training). After that I would add up to 3 10-15 minute HIIT sessions (sprint/max intensity for 20 seconds rest for 40 is good), then as much low-intensity steady state cardio as you can manage (e.g. walking).

High protein intake is advisable, as it will aid in preservation of lean body mass, as well as providing substantial fat loss advantages (1-1.5g/pound lean body mass per day is a good range).

It's a really good idea to focus on preserving lean body mass now... I've known quite a few people who have lost a ton of weight and been very unsatisfied with their aesthetic outcome. If you think losing weight is hard, try putting on muscle (putting on 1 pound/month is considered extremely good, and you will probably put on a pound of fat along with that pound of muscle).

Hope this is helpful.

This guy knows his stuff.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I will say that I wish I had started before I lost all of my weight. Yes I lost the weight, but my skin didn't have anything to "hold onto" so its saggy now. Since weight lifting its been a lot better. When you lift weights, especially if you are following the NRoLFW (which is what I do) then the amount of cardio you do will go DOWN! At least at first. Also, your weight way go up for a little bit, since you are building muscle but since you're body is going to be hoarding water for the first few weeks while you do this as well. That can be tough mentally when you are in "weight loss mode" BUT it is so worth it if you keep it up. You will also be eating MORE and that will seem weird too.

Overall, I would say GO FOR IT! Just make sure not to overdo it. I highly recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women, they also have an amazing facebook group. Whichever program you follow though, stick to it. Don't add to it or you could do more harm.

Good luck on your journey! You can do it!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I started lifting weights at the beginning of my weight loss journey and I strongly believe that it had a positive affect on how my body looked after losing over 30 pounds. What you also need to keep in mind is lifting weights is healthy for men and women; it aids in keep our bones strong and it burns more fat.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you yes it does slow your weight loss down. I started on a plateau when I started lifting heavy. And I stopped for that reason. BUT it will Completly change your body shape which cardio won't do. I currently weigh 99kg/218lb which a lot of people don't believe. I'm waiting for my new gym to open round the corner to start again (the one I currently go to is tiny and very intimidating for women)
  • NurseMal09
    NurseMal09 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    def start now! Building muscle helps increase your resting calorie burn and in addition helps make your figure more shapely as you loss weight!!!! Good Luck to you:)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't start until I'd pretty much reached my goal weight, but I WISH I started sooner! It would have been a lot easier to have maintained more of my lean muscle mass than lose it and try to gain it back.

And I wouldn't have had to skip a few of the obstacles in Warrior Dash if I'd had more upper body strength... not to mention that I was so sore the next day that I could barely lift my arms enough to wash my pits. :laugh:

Think of it this way... it's not so much about gaining muscle as it is keeping muscle. Since muscle is, by volume, heavier than fat, if you lose more fat and keep more muscle, you won't have to lose as many pounds to reach your goal body.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Also, your weight way go up for a little bit, since you are building muscle but since you're body is going to be hoarding water for the first few weeks while you do this as well. That can be tough mentally when you are in "weight loss mode" BUT it is so worth it if you keep it up. You will also be eating MORE and that will seem weird too.

QFT. (The bit about hoarding water I mean, you likely won't 'build' that much muscle, although as a beginner, you might gain a little).

Don't be disheartened if your weight goes up at first with weight training. Might went up by 2.5kgs. And it took 3wks for it to come off again completely. Keep it up though and you'll see results.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The good thing about lifting even when you have a lot of weight to lose, is that your body will lose fat while toning your body at the same time. So you will not have to worry about loose skin, saggy butt/boobs, and droopy arm fat :)