Will a bowl of ice cream ruin it all?

Options

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream nearly every day. 100-200 calories per serving depending on the flavor and toppings.
  • cindybindyboo
    Options
    Try this - mash up a banana mix with some greek yogurt and freeze. OR blend some berries and do the same thing. If you want a really yummy one mix greek yogurt with natural peanut butter and some choc protein powder.
  • srslycolette
    srslycolette Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel like you should never be SOOO strict on yourself. When things are "off limits" people tend to break easier and feel like everything they've worked for is ruined. Really, they key is moderation... Knowing how big a serving is, and maybe using it like a reward once or twice a week. (:
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have skinny cow ice cream sandwiches in my freezer so I can satisfy the ice cream craving when I get it for 150 calories. You need to find a lifestyle you will be able to sustain so depriving yourself of all treats isn't realistic.
  • Tracyaz63
    Options
    I don't think ice cream will ruin anything. You shouldn't feel guilty about indulging once in a while, just don't overdo. Enjoy, love!!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Have a bowl of ice cream, if you fancy it, but try to avoid getting in the habit of feeding depression with food, I am currently there myself and it isn't a happy place to be.

Also, is there any reason the last 2-3 days of your food diary have no food logged? I hope that is just because you were having a break, or had a few bad days and not due to not having eaten.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've been depressed the last couple of days, and I'm starting to crave ice cream because of it. I always do, lol.
    Welp, I haven't lost any weight in a while, (months actually) but I think I know the problem so tomorrow I start a new form of exercise and planning different foods to eat (more fruits and vegetables) and starting to eat more calories. It's a fresh start tomorrow. So would a bowl of ice cream kill me today? I haven't had a real "cheat" day in a while and I don't plan on having another until Halloween (if even then).

While the ice cream will never ruin any diet or meal plan if you fit it into your caloric intake for the day and hit your macro's... Eating that ice cream to feed an addition, or depression, or etc in my opinion would be the wrong way to approach it... Best of Luck...

Definitely this.

People are right when they say "if it fits into your macros..." etc, but your situation is deeper than just sabotaging a weight loss plan. If you struggle with emotional eating then it could potentially be a big problem! Everyone is different but iknow from my own experience that if you continue to intentionally eat "unhealthy" foods to comfort yourself you may get caught in a viscous cycle.

I had to quit cold turkey, it's the only thing that works for me. When I start emotional eating I lack the will power to stop

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon
  • Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have ice cream whenever I want it as long as it fits into my calories. I've lost almost 45 pounds since Jan. eating what I want as long as it's in my daily calorie allowance. I try to make healthier choices but if I want something and I have the calories for it, I'm eating it. :)
  • Melital
    Melital Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ya know being what i like about this is the counting calories- you can make the choice what you spend them on, good or bad calories. We shouldn't feel deprived. Life is about joy and happiness when you can get it. Enjoy ice cream today and eat some brussel sprout tomorrow.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It damn well better not! I just had a mini snickers blizzard and I am NOT guilty about it at all. It was delicious and a rare treat. Life is short, enjoy the moments!

THIS. :D
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had frosting for lunch. Yes, that's right, frosting. No cake, no cupcake, frosting. MFP must think I'm a failure because it was trying to ask me if it was chocolate cake with frosting, white cake with frosting, cupcake with frosting etc. NO I said to my smart phone, JUST FROSTING. LOL My 115# daughter with a hollow leg lovingly tells me I'm just a fatty but in my defense I was at a church cookout serving others and along came the pastors sister to take the last hot dog. I also had a piece of watermelon, a few Skittles (like 3 or 4) a couple of doughnut holes and about 2 or 3 potato chips. The frosting part came in when we put the remaining cake on a plate and I just couldn't resist the frosting left behind on the serving tray. I pushed all the leftover sweets off on another woman with 3 kids. Anyway, I logged it, I counted it and I'm still within my cals. I'm not making a habit of it (like my daughter with the hollow leg) but once in a while i'm not beating myself up over it.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    No! it won't ruin it all. I used to think the way you do, and try to have a treat, and then withhold food I enjoyed for long periods of time because that is what I thought losing weight was all about.

WRONG. Work hard, get in the gym. Lift some weights, walk. Ice cream easily fits into a balanced day.

let go of the worry. There is really nothing you cannot enjoy in moderation.
    food is not the enemy.

Jules:flowerforyou:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Yes. You'll gain 3lbs.

Give it to me. With caramel. Yes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I feel like you should never be SOOO strict on yourself. When things are "off limits" people tend to break easier and feel like everything they've worked for is ruined. Really, they key is moderation... Knowing how big a serving is, and maybe using it like a reward once or twice a week. (:

This. Don't deprive yourself so much that ice cream or any other goodies becomes this big of a deal. It's all food. It's all fuel. It's all part of life.

When small treats are planned and fit into your regular menu, they have less power over you. I know I'll have pizza at least once a week, so I never have "OMG I MUST EAT EVERY SLICE OF PIZZA IN THE WORLD" cravings.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Yes. You'll gain 3lbs.

Noooo...chocolate syrup, whipped cream and cherries. You're doing it wrong.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Yes. You'll gain 3lbs.

You forgot the nuts
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    I love me some sweets, they are a non-negotiable for me!

I agree with everyone else who suggested single serving sizes, or individual ice cream bars/ treats. That way you know exactly what a serving is.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not eat any ice cream. You surely will blow up like a balloon.

Send all the ice cream to me. I will add it to the collection in my freezer. I currently have 12 different flavors of EDYs in my freezer, of which I choose one serving every night and enjoy.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I've been depressed the last couple of days, and I'm starting to crave ice cream because of it. I always do, lol.
    Welp, I haven't lost any weight in a while, (months actually) but I think I know the problem so tomorrow I start a new form of exercise and planning different foods to eat (more fruits and vegetables) and starting to eat more calories. It's a fresh start tomorrow. So would a bowl of ice cream kill me today? I haven't had a real "cheat" day in a while and I don't plan on having another until Halloween (if even then).

I am bummed when I run out and don't get my daily ice cream. Had a big cup tonight, blended with a few splashes of diet dr pepper. Fantastic.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Yes, ice cream will ruin it all.

j/k I say go for it :wink: