You Are Your Own Gym

Options
Hi everyone! I was thinking about getting this book and giving it a try... I'm just wondering what people think about this 'system' and what kind of results they are getting.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I actually use the ipad app of this book and I like it. It's filled with exercises that, after you see them, you wonder why you couldn't think of them yourself. However, they're described very well and the pictures are great.

I pick and choose ones that I do on a daily basis (I don't do the "programs"). Most exercises have various levels of difficulty and are explained at each level.

I don't know how much the book is, but the ipad app was dirt cheap and worth it for me. I started out not being able to do many reps and now I knock them out on a consistent basis. It's nice to be able to work on strength training without the need for weights.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    look for it at the library
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have the book and then got the app for my droid. I really enjoy body weight exercises...I think the program would work a whole lot better if I actually did it :sad: I've been a slacker lately...I'm not the best at self motivation.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I recommend it ALL THE TIME to people who want to strength train who don't have access to a gym. The programs are well designed and will allow a good amount of progression. It's about $10 on amazon, well spent if you plan to strength train at home.
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options
    pages 1-86 are on Google books for a preview, but I'll be getting it thanks!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I just borrowed it from my library 2 days ago. The exercises seem to make sense, haven't really read all the way to the plans yet. I am trying to come up with a routine I can do while I am out running, I am better at going running than doing strength at home. So I figure I might as well combine the two...
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I recommend it ALL THE TIME to people who want to strength train who don't have access to a gym. The programs are well designed and will allow a good amount of progression. It's about $10 on amazon, well spent if you plan to strength train at home.

This is where I am. No gym access. I was going to look into NROL4W, but ya... Right now I'm just doing some Jillian Michaels stuff. Tomorrow is Day 30 of 30DS. But I really want to get into some 'real' strength training lol. Also, I'm trying to get my husband to join in, and he is not interested in doing workout videos with me. He has agreed to strength train though, whenever I'm ready to get started on it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

This is where I am. No gym access. I was going to look into NROL4W, but ya... Right now I'm just doing some Jillian Michaels stuff. Tomorrow is Day 30 of 30DS. But I really want to get into some 'real' strength training lol. Also, I'm trying to get my husband to join in, and he is not interested in doing workout videos with me. He has agreed to strength train though, whenever I'm ready to get started on it.

If you don't have weights, it's actually a better program than NROLW, because you'd have to modify so much of New Rules, and then you can't follow the progression of new rules without weights properly. New rules is a great program, but you really need weights to do it as written. I recommend getting a chin up bar, if it's the only thing you buy.
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

If you don't have weights, it's actually a better program than NROLW, because you'd have to modify so much of New Rules, and then you can't follow the progression of new rules without weights properly. New rules is a great program, but you really need weights to do it as written. I recommend getting a chin up bar, if it's the only thing you buy.

This is what I was thinking. I just bought YAYOG on ebay for $9 :bigsmile:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym is a great introduction to bodyweight exercise, one of the better comprehensive programs. However there is a lot more out there in the world of bodyweight exercise, a multitude of exercises as difficult or easy as you need them to be.
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just looked up the free preview on google books. In the book, does he ever tell you what sets/reps to do?
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just looked up the free preview on google books. In the book, does he ever tell you what sets/reps to do?

Yes, he does. It starts about Chapter 12. The app pretty much lays out the programs and contains almost as much information as the book.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested, I have a blog dedicated to my progress with You Are Your Own Gym:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EPICSRT

I am nearing (3 days left) completion of the 'First Class' (my first 10 weeks) and will be moving on to the 'Master' level next week.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I've just bought this app for my iPad and gonna try it later :smile:
  • evanesco
    Options
    I have the book and the app and love them both! I recommend this to everyone. I only do 3 days a week because I'm doing C25K 3 days as well, with Sundays off.
  • herebeeri
    herebeeri Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JonnySmith0248
    JonnySmith0248 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tried the original book/app about a year ago and found it it difficult for me.....maybe I wasn't understanding my options sufficiently. However, I just recently looked into it again and found a newer version for women and started it last week. I am thrilled with the program......after being stalled at the same weight for three weeks the scale is finally moving again =)
    I had started the C25K the week previous - so next week I will be on week 3 of the C25K and week 2 of YAYOG "beginner"
    I am also excited because we are going on a cruise soon and I think these are both programs that I can easily accomplish while on vacation! Hoping.....really hoping.....that I can go on vacation enjoy myself within moderation with the food and still come home without having gained any weight!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I have heard nothing but good things about it.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I have heard nothing but good things about it.

ditto