Too Much Protein...

Options
Hi Everyone,
I'be been training for my first half marathon, and I have a question about protein. When I started training in April, I was getting blurry vision from not enough protein. I bought a protein shake with 100% whey protein. With milk out had 44 grams of protein. Initially,I was using the shake to make my protein"quota" for the day. I have a toddler and an 11 month old, whom I currently stay with at home, all day. So, meeting my own nutritional needs, wasn't happening before I bought this shake. These days,I drink a shake only on my weekend runs when I get up by 545 am, and do 6+ miles. But now, I'm taking in more protein by the end of the day. Is it bad to have too much protein? I need something in my something before I run, so I don't get all weird, like before.any advice? Thanks

Replies

• Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can be bad, but it's hard to reach these numbers. There is no consensus on how much is too much. Some say 2g per pound of your weight per day, some say 3g... Chances are you don't reach these amounts, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your protein limits quite low. Unless you have kidney problems, more protein is just fine. Aim for 1gram/lb of lean body mass.
  • McGrew822
    Options
    Unless you have a pre-existing problem in your kidneys or liver, you won't start pushing protein toxicity until you're north of 300 grams per day.

As far as things that are bad for your body, however, I can't say the same for running marathons. Seen any long-distance runners that look good lately? Lol
  • ValentineMomma
    ValentineMomma Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks people. I appreciate any help. I use my fitness pal, and it shows me in excess by about 35~40grams of protein on the days I do my long runs.
    LOL about ever seeing good looking marathoners.I keep telling myself they all need a sports sunscreen for their faces.Right now, I'm just having fun. I like how running avg walking long distance clears the brain. :)