Can someone take a look at my diary?

Options
Hello,

I have just started using this app on my iphone. Can someone take a look at my diary to see if I'm eating the correct type of foods? I'd much appreciate it as I want to start out on the right foot.

The only other thing i'd like to ask is this, If I swim laps for an hour, would I be overestimating the calories burned if I were to eat 300 back?

Any input is most welcomed,

Thank you.

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Took a look at your diary, I'd say the foods are okay, but I would suggest getting a little more protein and lighten up the carbs a touch (I noticed you had the 2 wheat biscuits and a piece of toast, maybe switch one of those out for an egg or a cup of yogurt.) I'm not sure about the swimming eat back calories, check around online there are some sites out there that will calculate the calories burned and I think in the exercise section of this will calculate the number of calories burned. good luck!
  • rosecando
    rosecando Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi- i had a quick diary-veiw, looks good with good balance to me.You can either eatback your exercise calories, but that could hinder you loss.Another option is lower calorie foods eg-bread,spreads, and sugar free where poss.Some people find eating more protein and lesser carbs helps esp if doing hard-out exercise.
    Theirs stacks of great info on the message boards. Good luck.:happy:
  • LunaHare
    LunaHare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, with regard to the laps swimming, it depends how much effort you are putting in. If you are swimming constantly and getting your heart rate up then, yes I'd say you could eat those back.

There are a few great posts around here concerning BMR and TDEE etc. which are useful to have a look at when you are just starting.

I found cutting out processed sugar was really helpful at the beginning too, and stopped cravings etc and made life a lot easier.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • LunaHare
    LunaHare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Also eating back exercise calories will not hinder your loss. If you set up MFP accurately, then it is already at a deficit which means even without excercise you will loose, so you need to fuel your body too!!
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    looks ok to me, it's all the kind of stuff that I would eat, but in all honesty you have work out what's right for you. Someone else might tell you too much of this, not enough of that, but if you try to meet their criteria by eating in a way that you don't enjoy, you'll more than likely find it difficult to sustain. You are more than welcome to add me and look at my diary (altho it's been blank the last few days, but I am back to tracking now). I find it's nice to have friends with open diaries to get ideas from.

With regards to the exercise, I just go by what MFP says, and an hours swimming would give me a lot more than 300 cals, although I'm guessing I'm a fair bit bigger than you, but the general consensus seems to be to eat back 50-75% of the cals that MFP gives you, just in case it has over estimated.

Good luck with it all, this is a great site. :flowerforyou:
  • AllisonB145
    AllisonB145 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks good, 2 things...... Don't foget to log your water intake and also if I can make one recommendation instead of partially skim milk you might want to try almond milk or soy milk. They have alot less calories.

Best of Luck!
  • Marc2You
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I feel better knowing that I have a good start by eating the correct foods. I'll keep reading the posts on this site as there are so many that make very interesting reading.

Again, thank you all :smile:
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and it looks not too bad. But everyone's body is different and you will have to see what works best for you. Also Men and Women's body's are different. One thing I don't see people track is sodium intake, I track it and it is alarming high. I am not loosing anything right now.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's all good, but it's not much food volume-wise. Personally, I'd swap biscuits and toast for extra fruit and veg, you can eat more for less calories and feel fuller!