HELP!!....insanity, tapout xt or zumba???

Options
Im wanting to try a new workout, i have currently done JM 30DS and banish fat boost metabalism but got really bored eith them so want to try something that has lots of variety! im planning on trying them out on you tube 1st but i have specific goals in mind and was wondering if anybody has any advice, i usually run around 5-6k as my exercise but have been really laking lately so planiing on getting back to running asap ( i try to run between 4-5days a week)....Firstly my goals are:

1. Reduce my body fat % ( i have found running really helps with this so not a main priority)
2. i HATE my legs especially my calfs ( they blend in to my leg with no definition and i have fat ankles) so i want to lean them out and get some def in my calf, and my thighs, are the same no shape or def and above my knee is fatty so wan tto get my thighs lean!
3. i have 2 young boys so have a very wobbly belly and of course that is the last place im losing :0( so to loose inches around my waist and try to tone it up slightly.

my stats are as follows
Height 5' 6''
weight 135lbs
waist 35''
thighs 20''
hips 36''

so as you can see for only being 9st 9lbs im actually quite big inches wise.....any help would be apreciated!!

Replies

• Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I can't stand her (Jillian Michaels) workouts they're like a warm up to me lol. After you've done Insanity you'll understand what I'm talking about. Half the exercises her and Bob do now they stole from P90X anyway lol. Or at least that's my opinion.
    Insanity is amazing I've done it and the Asylum 3 times each. I am now doing a Tapout XT and Les Mills Pump hybrid that I've pretty much created on my own. Insanity would be good for you after reading your goals. Do you like to lift weights at all? I've never tried Zumba so I have no idea, but I've done Rev Abs, P90X, P90X2, Chalene Extreme and Turbofire. Asylum is my favorite workout hands down but I am noticing that Tapout XT is similar to that and P90X. Apparently the guy who created Tapout is an ex Beachbody employee, or so someone on this website was saying. What types of workouts do you like. High intensity, medium, easy? If you get Tapout you'll get the same amount of cardio almost as Insanity and the benefits of some strength training by using the bands that come with the program, so that would probably be your best bet. YouTube them all and see what you like the most and what you think you will stick with. Good luck to you, hope you find something you really like. I can assure you that none of these will ever bore you.
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    thanks for that, i like something thats gonna make me really work! haha ive looked on you tube and think im gonna give insanity a try starting today!! any ideas on how many cals you burn?? i may not do it everyday maybe every otherday and running every other day with a day off on prob sat or sun or maybe a hour at the gym on a weekend (the only time i can go) xxxx
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've done both Insanity & TapouT XT. If you're running currently, then I would choose Tapout! Insanity is a lot of cardio and not as much strength. I fell in LOVE with TapouT! It was by far one of the most fun workouts ever!! You can keep challenging yourself by upping your resistance throughout the entire program!! I've never done zumba so cannot give my opinion on that one. I did 2 straight rounds of Insanity and by the end - it just got repetitive and a bit borning. I never felt bored with Tapout and plan on repeating that program as soon as I finish P90X! Good luck with your decision.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I am doing insanity and tapout atm and i am in a far worse shape than the skinny dude before me, insanity and tapout xt will make you really work, zumba is just for fun, maybe as warm up.
  • vixmonsta
    vixmonsta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba but then i love dancing so enjoy it... by the sounds of it it may not be as much of a workout as insanity though...
  • stephl21uk
    Options
    hmmmm just looked at insanity on you tube and love the look at it, will look at tapout now and i may alternate them during the week and get the best of both! x
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Or you can do like me, tapout xt in the morning, and insanity in the evening :)

@vix, you are right :) the intensity of zumba doesnt even come close to insanity :)
  • Anastasia0511
    Options
    hmmmm just looked at insanity on you tube and love the look at it, will look at tapout now and i may alternate them during the week and get the best of both! x

As much as I love Insanity I am really enjoying Tapout, it is awesome! You are going to feel challenged for sure. I hate to say this but I don't look at my calories burned and don't always wear my heart rate monitors :/ but I think I've burned from like 400-675 before? It's been so long since I've paid attention to that kind of thing. Everyone is different though as far as how many calories they will burn.
  • Anastasia0511
    Options

That's what I do too. Tapout in the morning and Les Mills Pump at night.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a fun workout but nowhere near the intensity of the other programs mentioned. In addition, Tapout and Insanity are structured and well-thought out. Tapout never gets boring!

That's what I do too. Tapout in the morning and Les Mills Pump at night.
  • stephl21uk
    Options
    ive managed to find all of the insanity workouts in full on you tube...woohoo....but only plyo, buns and guns, ripped conditioning and ultimate abs for tapout xt....i know someone who sells the full tapouts for £10 (copies) but what do i need for it do i need exercise bands etc? xx
  • Lsobriens
    Lsobriens Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Never have tried tapout, but did P90X and insanity. Insanity is mostly cardio and was really hard on my legs. After insanity, I had to take 6 months off from working out in order to let my knees heal up. If you have knee trouble, I would say try P90X. P90X is something new almost everyday. There are 13 different workouts, and each focuses on a different skill area, so you are always confusing your muscles. I am going to try to get back to P90X daily again. It is a longer workout like insanity, but without all the stress on the knees. I got so I could workout through the breaks, and was in the best shape of my life before turning to insanity and needing to back off of workouts. I had done P90X before insanity and found insanity to be pretty easy. JM's workouts are nothing in comparison.

Zumba is way too easy unless you are in a class with an instructor who pushes you. My zumba class was so easy, I used to come home and workout after to get a sweat going. Not my choice for fitness.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Actually, I would probably recommend that you check out P90X. You seem to have the cardio aspect of things down pretty well and something like P90X makes perfect sense for your goals. What burns fat above anything else? More lean muscle. With a focus on resistance exercise P90X's goal is to sculpt a better body composition. There is some cardio mixed in but may not be as intense for someone like yourself. Plyometrics is a very good cardio workout and if you find the others aren't enough you could always swap with your runs instead.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ive managed to find all of the insanity workouts in full on you tube...woohoo....but only plyo, buns and guns, ripped conditioning and ultimate abs for tapout xt....i know someone who sells the full tapouts for £10 (copies) but what do i need for it do i need exercise bands etc? xx

Yeah, for Tapout you'll need bands for the curls and resistance exercises. You'll also need shorter bands for legs. Get the workouts and figure out what resistance you need. It's tough to judge without doing the exercises. I had to buy several sets.
  • kashmirdreamer
    kashmirdreamer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the others but Zumba seems to be just cardio. The actual instruction involves tightening muscles but most of the instructors do not teach it that way, they focus more on it as a dance class. I think it's a good way to get cardio for people who like to dance or don't like to do traditional cardio. I got a little sweaty but I don't think it does the same targeting that P90x would do.
  • stephl21uk
    Options
    thganks for all the help guys.....just about to do the fitness test on insanity.....wish me luck :o)) will def look at px90 xx
  • Anastasia0511
    Options
    thganks for all the help guys.....just about to do the fitness test on insanity.....wish me luck :o)) will def look at px90 xx

Good luck, you can do it. :D