healthy alternatives to junkfood weaknesses?

Options
elv1ra
elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
You guys found any?

I used to make a wonderful alternative to tacos. instead id make a taco salad and use fresh spinach instead of lettuce(just for the extra nutrients that lettuce lacks), grape tomatoes, extra lean ground beef with taco seasoning. onlions, avacado and instead of sour cream and cheddar id use lowfat or fat free cottage cheese. you can use regular tortilla chips or buy soft tortillas and bake them until crispy, or forego the chips altogether like i did. it definitely hit the spot.

Replies

• Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    try eating sweet fruit such as blackberries or blue berries. Try cutting in half your junk food and sooner or later you will not be eating it at all. Ckout the diet rehab book too, it has some good tips on loosing that junk food addiction.
  • elv1ra
    Options
    Ive been doing pretty well lately cutting out chocolate and chips. instead i munch on pumpklin or sunflower seeds which are loaded with salt, but i still think the switch off was beneficial.
  • ErinDrisc
    Options
    I love Beanitos. I crave chips on my period, and these are awesome because they are made with beans rather than potatoes.
    http://www.beanitos.com/health.html
    The part at the end about not causing gas is a lie though. Or maybe it's just the "period farts".
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas make a wonderful alternative to ice cream. I use one 8 in banana cut in slices and froze solid, 5 oz of frozen strawberries and 2 oz of frozen blueberries and 1/4 cup of milk. OMG it's really good and makes a huge amount, I can't eat it all so I split it with my son (I actually give him more than half) and it's half is 126 calories. Sometimes I use just the banana's and milk with 2 tbsp of PB2 for banana's and peanut butter ice cream. Still need to add chocolate to it so I can try that, but I promise you won't miss ice cream once you master this. I think I'm going to buy the yonanans machine so I can cut out the milk all together. This has so many possibilities and I've only just begun.
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    do you use a blender or a food processer?
  • 512cheangela
    Options
    I love Beanitos. I crave chips on my period, and these are awesome because they are made with beans rather than potatoes.
    The part at the end about not causing gas is a lie though. Or maybe it's just the "period farts".

Can we all agree to never use the phrase "period farts" in a sentence ever again? *shudders*
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I know that grinding walnuts in a blender (like my 20$ one)...no bueno. A lot of stop/starting.

I may have to break down and by a food processor (another gadget to cram into a tight kitchen space).

I think though bananas and frozen fruit should be fine and go down, especially with some milk (or milk alternatives I like soy milk and almond milk).
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I find a decaf coffee with a little agave syrup and soy milk is a real true, especially with some cocoa powder. That helps me from snacking.

I also eat soy hot dogs (lightly fried, using only pam spray or a tiny amount of olive oil) in a whole wheat bun. If I chop up tomato or bell pepper, even better. I may put a light amount of vegnaise if I am terribly hungry and ketchup/mustard. They hit spot for junk food. You can add sauerkraut too or relish. Vegan american cheese would work too (1 piece) on top. You might have to already though be used to vegan subsitutes. They half very little calories compared to their dairy/meat counterparts (vegan slice cheese is 40 calories while skim american cheese is more like 90 for example).
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Frozen seedless grapes are AWESOME! You'd swear you were having something bad.
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    celery and salsa instead of chips and salsa. Not quite the same, but you still get the crunch.
  • elv1ra
    Options
    ive been meaning to try the banana ice cream. and hey, no hating on "period farts" its a real thing.
  • Brandon130
    Options
    I get a bag of Nature's Harvest banana chips. I eat them pretty consistently throughout the day, just a few of the bchips whenever I get the urge to eat, so I'm not obsessively downing the whole bag haha.

Anyways, it's pretty cheap, lasts me a little while, and they taste delicious! At first I wasn't so sure, I'm not a banana fan to be honest, but there's something about these, yummy! You should look into them, I get mine from walmart. I know banana chips don't sound appetizing, but they are really so good! I'm a convert! haha

I used to eat out a LOT. I was working about 80-90 work weeks with college full time on top of it, and it was a LOT easier to just swing by somewhere and grabe a burrito, or a hamburger, etc.. I gained SO much weight by doing that. So needless to say, breaking this habit has been... difficult. I still struggle every now and then, but I just shove my mouth with banana chips and change my mind about being hungry haha. I hope this helps you if even just a little bit!
  • worldofme
    worldofme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So I will crave on occasion ice cream. To fix this, I take my favorite yogurt and place it in a ziplock back. I cut a small amount of the tip of one corner of the bag and pipe dollops onto a wax paper lined baking sheet. Then I freeze these dots. Once frozen, store in a freezer safe container or ziplock. When craving ice cream....I have dippin' dots style ice cream. Really satisfying and a great alternative to all the calories and fat!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The thing that I missed most is chips. I have plain, regular cheerios when I crave crunchy. A half cup is only 50 calories, low in sugar and provides some fiber. Yes, it's processed food, but for now, it solves a craving without a lot of damage to my diet.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Fruit smoothies as opposed to ice cream or shakes. Also, I eat fuit in place of dessert in a lot of instances. For Mexican, I do veggie fajitas on corn tortillas (no cheese, no sour cream), plenty of beans and guacamole.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

I use a blender..bananas in first grind up, strawberries in next just a few slices at at time and then the blueberries, then I add the milk. If you can purchase the yonanans machine you won't have to use any milk at all. Amazon has them but so does Bed, Bath and Beyond.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

Can we all agree to never use the phrase "period farts" in a sentence ever again? *shudders*

freaking awesome on so many levels.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I still have them ,just less, and less often.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    my most favorite snack ever right now (and really, it's more like a meal than a snack) are wasa crackers with hummus, baba ganouj, parsley salad & cucumber. i literally eat them all day.
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    slice carrots thinly and add seasoning that you like. bake on 350* until they are browned. just-like-fries.

you're welcome haha :laugh: