Expressions you hate..

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• ladybird_
    ladybird_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    "But I was just ___________"

My kids use it all the time and I also hear adults doing it too. Its an excuse, plain and simple, you were caught doing something you probably shouldn't be doing. It actually reminds me of what criminals say during events like the genocides... "But I was just killing ____"
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What on earth is 'YOLO' ?
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    What on earth is 'YOLO' ?

you only live once.
  • Sabs_21
    Sabs_21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    "I could care less." Then apparently, you must care. Or do you mean you COULDN'T care less?
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    "I could care less." Then apparently, you must care. Or do you mean you COULDN'T care less?

I have always wondered about this.
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you are able to care less than you already care, then you must already care even the smallest amount.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    "On the ground". --reporters use this all the time. "John King is on the ground in CO." As opposed to what? Floating in the air above the fray? That drives me nuts.

"Fixed income"--"Seniors live on a fixed income." Oh, that's too bad (sarcasm). In my mind that means they're guaranteed an income. Unlike the rest of us, whose jobs may be eliminated at any time due to a lousy economy or the whims of someone higher up.

"Could care less"--Other posters have said this, too. It should be "I could not care less" otherwise you're admitting it bothers you.

Not a phrase, but I dislike it when people use "there" instead of "their" or "your" instead of "you're".

I guess I'm kind of snippy this morning! :)
  • skatardrummer
    skatardrummer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I work in an urgent care and a lab, so we pretty much have a bingo going of all the phrases.

"Do I put my name here or the patient's name?"

I have *insert self diagnosis with a long medical term* and I need you to give me *insert self-prescribed treatment*

*Large yellow signs and arrows with candy in front of it "Sign in here"* "Are you ever going to call me? I didn't know I needed to sign in"

"Does it cost money to come here?"

"I know you can't give me medical advice over the phone but..."

"I know there are 20 patients and 1 nurse and doctor at the moment, but this can't wait..."

"My condition is more serious than that person's. Can you put me in the front of the line?"

*patient brings in 3 requisitions with 25 tests...after 5 minutes...*
    Patient: There are other people who got here after me and were called first. When am I going to be called?
    Me: You had a lot of tests to prepare. It is taking the prep team some time.
    Patient: *exasperated sigh* Can you check how long it is going to be please? I may have to go somewhere else.
    Me: Ok...*checks back for 5 more minutes. no requisition anywhere. patient was already called back*
    This happens about 10-20 times a day

"I'm in the system"

"I'm here once a month. I don't understand why you have to have my photo ID every time."
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I have always wondered about this.

I think David Mitchell puts it best in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXJHip7Su5o

made me laugh anyway!
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    “real women have curves” - um, no. real women come in all shapes and sizes. Sorry, but this is something that fat women say to make themselves feel better, I think. It pisses me off. Also, thin women can have curves too. And fat women can be shapeless. AGHHHH this one just annoys me to no end.

Not really an expression per se, but “I thought it would be more like a hamster” – common thing I hear when people are dumping their pet ferrets with me because they don’t want them anymore. Oh really, you thought a medium sized carnivore that retails for over $100 would be “the same” as a $10 vegetable eating rodent? Really? It never occurred to you to pick up a book and learn something about the animal before you bought him???

Actually there are a number of excuses people give when they are dumping their pets that annoy me but this is not the thread for those.