HRM and water use: how to care for it

Options
I just bought a Polar FT7 and want to use it swimming, but I also don't want to damage it. I understand that you don't press any buttons when the watch is under water, but can you press buttons when it's wet or do you have to let it dry off first?

If anyone has any other tips on how to use a HRM in water please let me know.

Replies

• mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kristineevans
    kristineevans Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This won't be much help but I have a polar f4 it says you can use it in water but mine doesn't work! It hasn't stopped it working when dry and I have waited till I have dried it before pressing buttons but when in water it just says check heart rate monitor .
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sweet!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think you can press the buttons while the watch is wet.. just not while under water.

Also, make sure to wash the strap after using it in a pool... other wise the chemicals will corrode the strap. You need to wash the strap in a machine with detergent only, no fabric softener and then hang to dry.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think you can press the buttons while the watch is wet.. just not while under water.

Also, make sure to wash the strap after using it in a pool... other wise the chemicals will corrode the strap. You need to wash the strap in a machine with detergent only, no fabric softener and then hang to dry.

thanks for that tip! can I just throw it in with a bunch of clothes?

I'm going to test this swimming soon.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

thanks for that tip! can I just throw it in with a bunch of clothes?

I'm going to test this swimming soon.

As long as the clothes aren't being washed with fabric softener, then yes it can go in with clothes.

I always wash mine with my exercise clothes that don't need fabric softner.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Read your handbook or download one for your HRM.

As far as I know the HRM strap does not transmit through water - so you will not get your HR while swimming.

If the device is stated as waterproof then it should be ok unless you subject it to more water pressure than is indicated as safe - if it doesnt then bring it back to the retailer and complain.