Sleep deprivation and weight loss

Options
I feel like pretty much every doctor will agree that a good sleep schedule is not only is necessary for overall health, but is also very beneficial for weight loss. What constitutes as good varies from person to person, but for me personally 8-9 hours starting and ending not too late is what I prefer. If I sleep less, I'm more likely to not only eat more, but eat more bad stuff and exercise less, creating a super caloric surplus. I also feel super bloated and get stomach upset so that causes water weight and distension. But I feel like those are more indirect affects on weight loss as opposed to being "I slept x under min. amount and now will gain y amount of weight."

However, my mom told me that she once read that being very tired burns a lot of calories so I'm very curious about what is the relationship between sleep and weight loss. I'm assuming that the less you sleep the slower you metabolism is, which doesn't seem like it would help you burn calories, but has any one heard or read differently?

I practically pulled an all nighter last night and I'm very curious about the science of this so any articles would be greatly appreciated. And regardless of the results, I'm not planning on in cooperating sleep deprivation into my weight loss strategy :D

Replies

• Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any scientific studies on the subject; I sure you can find some on the internet. I can tell you my personal experience. When I don't sleep well, I feel tired and sluggish, and I'm much less apt to exercise that day. Also, I tend to eat more as if that will offset the tiredness. Of course it doesn't, but I go to food for comfort.

Hope this helps.

Melva
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've heard getting enough sleep helps with weight loss, I wish I could get more sleep.

I get myself up by at least 7am everyday and even when I try to go to sleep early I just toss and turn. I usually fall asleep around 1.30am
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Sleep absolutley helps weight loss. It gives your body a chance to detoxify and repair.