C25K Advice

Just looking for a little advice from those of you who have completed (or almost completed) the program successfully!

I started the C25K program yesterday doing week 1 day 1 (obviously!) and I found it surprisingly easy (with the exception of the final run which was up a big hill - bad timing!!!)

My question is - is it ok to skip to week 2? Everytime she said stop running I felt like I could have carried on for a little longer but today my legs are a little sore (I dont think I stretched as well as I should have!)

I averaged 4.1mph and covered 2.18miles in the 30minutes. Feeling pretty good about that pace considering only 8 minutes was running :-)

I used to do the 800m and 1500m and cross country running at school but that was 10years ago now and I'm so excited to start running again since I loved it so much back then!!

So do I carry on with week 1 or give week 2 a try?

Replies

• jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    I'd say keep going with week 1. You might be OK cardiovascularly, but you also need to worry about conditioning your body for running too. It's only a couple of days. Get em done and feel good about completing the program as a whole. Have fun!
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    I am starting week 4 this week. I am in no ways an expert, but I would suggest to run them, don't skip. What can it hurt?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I have never ran before in my life, and even though week one and two felt really easy, I carried on through the program like I was supposed to.

I suppose I could have skipped ahead, but I don't think I would have learned to run like I did had I skipped weeks. After Week 2, the runs get longer and the walks get shorter. Since I was running pretty fast during weeks 1 and 2, I had to learn to slow down a lot.. because other wise I never would have finished.

Now I'm due to start Week 9(30 minute/3 mile run) tomorrow and I'm pretty confident that I can do it without any major problems!
  • I would suggest NOT skipping...you need to build up and progress at a natural pace without injuring yourself and while you think it's "easy" now, there may be a time in the very near future that you don't think you can do it. Week 5 is a challenge for many people.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I personally would suggest following the program all the way through rather than skipping any weeks. I only say that because I have injured myself by pushing to hard through the C25K. I had to take a break from running and have finally been able to start running 2 miles at a time with no residual pain, which is huge because before I was running over 3 miles and was pretty much crippled the next day. That was with doing good stretching before and after.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I'd say go for it! If it ends up being harder than you expected, you can always go back to week one.

I was totally out of shape when I started, but I typically added an interval or two to the end of each run, and as I got near the end, I was running a little more than the program called for.
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    I wanna try this!
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    I would not skip a week. The plan works as designed, it will get tougher over time. Plus you run the risk of pushing too fast too soon and overtrain. If you over train, you will get discouraged and most likley quit.

I used to not be able to run for more than a few minutes at a time a few years ago. I did the C25k and now I am training for my first marathon. You will be suprised how quickly things come, just focus on making the intervals and the speed will come over time.

Good luck :)
  • BodyElectric1
    BodyElectric1 Posts: 120 Member
    I don't recommend skipping weeks. I tried doing C25k when I was regularly running 5k and 10kms. I wanted to do because I often had walking breaks. I knew I could run a distance and be on my feet for long periods, so I skipped a few weeks. I ended up not completing it, because I couldn't handle the intervals. That was two years ago. I stopped running and started running again this year. I decided to do a program but not the C25k, and chose the Runners World 5km program. The first three or so weeks were easy to do for me, but I done them. I'm sure if I skipped those weeks I would have not completed it. I realised that it's not only about physically preparing yourself but also mentally, and but skipping those weeks you miss out on the mental preparation.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Thanks guys!! Pretty unanimous vote for sticking to the program then, love this site for all the great advice as always :flowerforyou:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    You're asking how to follow a program without actually following it. If you want the benefits of the program, one of which is building confidence before ability, you should not skip weeks.

I'm not saying you're physically unable to do week 2. I'm just saying I think you should follow the program the way it was written, because the way it's written, it WORKS!
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    My husband and I did W3D1 this morning. It was the first time it was...not really hard but it was def a bit longer. The program, though it may be easy at the beginning, is training your body for the long haul. I suggest not to skip. If you find it to be too easy, try running harder :flowerforyou:
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    I wouldnt skip either, you need the time to build your body up to getting used to it, I'm hoping to run D3 of W6 tonight, I repeated W1 to get my legs upto it more, and I got a bit stuck at W4, just couldnt seem to nail it!
  • I wouldn't skip a week, just follow it

On week 2 and it is getting easier!!

Good Luck
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    I have completed the program before and have re-started today on W1D1. I considered skipping ahead, but I would rather ease my body into it to ensure the workouts stay in the "comfortable" range. It will allow my lungs, my muscles, and my brain to slowly get used to the higher increments.

The fact that you are a little sore following the first day is an indication that you are right where you should be. To push it further would risk injury, in my opinion.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Hello!

I was in a similar situation. I ran the mile, 2 mile, and cross country, but it was more like 20 years ago! When I started the C25K six months ago, I pushed it and jumped ahead. My lungs were fine, why not? mistake. My knees weren't ready for the stress. My body is TOTALLY different than it used to be, but my mind wasn't.

I read that the biggest mistake new runners make is pushing too hard in the beginning, then they get injured. I started the program again. I am on week 2. Taking it nice and easy to build up my knees before I start diggin' in. I am really excited about running again.