Starving in the mornings...

Options
Hi guys,

So I've been working out at night, and not eating afterwards because it will literally be time for bed, so come morning I am absolutely starving. So much that my 300 calorie breakfast plan (I'm on 1200 calories) won't suffice. So do any of you think/ know if it would be better for me, to count breakfast as my 400 or even my 500 calorie meal, and make my lunch and dinner be the lesser of the three?

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Unless eating right before bed will mess with your sleep, I don't see the harm in, say, a banana (~120 calories depending on size) or a cup of milk (90-150 cals depending on the fat content) or a tablespoon of peanut butter (~95 cals) after your workout. You might also try working out a little earlier, or split up your 30 minutes into two 15-minute workouts, one in the morning and one at night. I don't know your schedule so I'm just throwing out ideas. You could also just up your calories (change your goal to lose less per week) - you'll still lose, just slightly slower. It's not a race, after all, and it looks like you've met your (initial) goal, so unless you suddenly think you need to lose another 30 pounds (unlikely based on your picture), increasing your calorie intake gradually is the next step for you, transitioning into maintenance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So I've been working out at night, and not eating afterwards because it will literally be time for bed, so come morning I am absolutely starving. So much that my 300 calorie breakfast plan (I'm on 1200 calories) won't suffice. So do any of you think/ know if it would be better for me, to count breakfast as my 400 or even my 500 calorie meal, and make my lunch and dinner be the lesser of the three?
    Doesn't really matter how you get to your calorie limit. If that works for you better, then do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • softsculptor
    Options
    Oatmeal works well for me! It is light but very filling.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

This would be entirely a preferential decision. I would experiment.

I would also consider eating something right before bed and see how it makes you feel.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I use around 800 of my 1300 calories before dinner with a big breakfast and medium lunch. I find dinner the easiest to be small because meat and veggies aren't that caloric.

When I eat a good breakfast I am not hungry the rest of the day. If I don't eat enough at breakfast I overeat at night.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I don't have proper research to back this up, but I believe that some protein shakes with casein can actually help you sleep, so maybe you could have something like that after your workout if you just can't eat that late. That said, you mention that you are eating 1200 calories. Do you eat any of your exercise calories? If you're not this may be part of the problem. Eating the 1200 calories already has you at a deficit to lose weight. When you burn calories through exercise you are to eat those back (doesn't have to be all of them, just within reason) to fuel your body. So what I am saying, is if you burn 200 calories per day (random number) through exercise you should be eating closer to 1400 calories per day. So if you do have to go up to a 500 calorie breakfast, you should still be able to keep your other meals the same size.
  • worldofme
    worldofme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always have a post workout protein shake (approx 130 calories) It makes a big difference!! I would try to redeligate your calories to keep from waking up so very hungry!
  • joanrobinson2012
    Options
    Try a banana and pint of whole milk before bed.
  • Beckyf321
    Beckyf321 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to be eating something after your workout! Like a PP said, banana, apple with peanut butter, small bowl of cereal.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating something healthy after your workout and upping your breakfast calories a bit. I have to have a filling breakfast; otherwise I feel hungry all day.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. the real issue is i am a morning workout person all the way, except, my summer schedule has me riding with my brother'n'law who will only go to the gym at night. :/ i used to always take in protein after my workouts but he goes so late, that i have to get up so early in the morning i have to get to bed right away. i'm always sure to eat my workout calories back though, and when i know i'm going so late, i'll eat them before my work out. it's just not the way i like to do it :/