Dead lifts...what are they and what do they do?

Options
My friend and I were discussing dead lifting. I..have no idea what is it. Does it provide results? What does it do?

Replies

• Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a video explaining how to do them:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-deadlift

It's an exercise that hits more muscle groups than any other exercise you can do and is fairly effective at building a lot of strength. Someone out there can probably give you a more technical explanation as to why it's important. You really do need to stress proper form though if you decide to incorporate it into your routine.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    You pick things up, and put them down. :p

lol
    heres a decent link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlift

the short answer.. its picking up a barbell thats on the ground.
    its one of the 3 major compound lifts, and it works your torso (especially your back), legs, hips and butt.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    From my understanding - form is even more important for this lift so I would recommend paying a personal trainer to work with you on this lift.

If you look up Mark Rippetoe and dead lift on youtube - he provides excellent demos on the dead lifts. His books go into pages and pages about the exercise.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Women are generally weaker in the hamstrings than the quads which can cause injury due to the imbalance. Deadlifts help balance you out. I love deadlifts, so so much. And I can deadlift more than I squat which is another reason I love them :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    One of the best overall body exercises that can be done. Many a lifter will tell you that if they were limited to just ONE exercise that they could do, it would be the deadlift since it works basically every muscle in the body.

Legs: It works the quads, hamstrings, and glutes (with more emphasis on the hams and glutes)
    Back: It works the lower back, upper back and mid back efficiently
    Torso: Abs, serratus, and obliques get targeted
    Forearms: Improves your grip strength

While it doesn't hit the chest and arms as much, they are still involved in the lift.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Many a lifter will tell you that if they were limited to just ONE exercise that they could do, it would be the deadlift since it works basically every muscle in the body.
    I donno.. I think squats are more fun. lol.
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump for info
  • cjstrong
    cjstrong Posts: 54
    Options
    great compound lift but really it works lower back and legs the most. Doing it properly is hard, I consider this an advanced movement no matter what people think. Too many people do it WRONG
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Question - say you are doing the standard two body parts per day work outs. Where would you lump this into? Back? legs?

Say you do the following? (note that abs/core is done three nights a week)

Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs
    Shoulders

Would you create a new day for deadlifts?
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Well. Today is my weights day and I was interesting in trying it. I'll ask one of the YMCA workers to help me (: Thank you very much
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Question - say you are doing the standard two body parts per day work outs. Where would you lump this into? Back? legs?

Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs
    Shoulders

I would put dead lifts with your back day ( just my opinion ), but I have my week set up like this.

Pull

Legs

Push

So I put it in my pull day.
  • MrDude_1
    Options

Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs
    Shoulders

I wouldnt be cutting it down to the old "two parts per day" workout.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Women are generally weaker in the hamstrings than the quads which can cause injury due to the imbalance. Deadlifts help balance you out. I love deadlifts, so so much. And I can deadlift more than I squat which is another reason I love them :)

It looks so, so simple, but I know form is important so I'm nervous to try on my own.

What do you deadlift and squat (weight and reps/sets)? I've started off my squats with a 45 pound barbell, but I can do 3 sets of 8 pretty easily so I may be able to move up...it seems like a really light weight to me.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    One of the best overall body exercises that can be done. Many a lifter will tell you that if they were limited to just ONE exercise that they could do, it would be the deadlift since it works basically every muscle in the body.

Definitely.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

Legs: It works the quads, hamstrings, and glutes (with more emphasis on the hams and glutes)
    Back: It works the lower back, upper back and mid back efficiently
    Torso: Abs, serratus, and obliques get targeted
    Forearms: Improves your grip strength

While it doesn't hit the chest and arms as much, they are still involved in the lift.

IDEA Fitness member

Toss in some squats and you will have a fantastic back side.

I love my deadlifts and squats. Arm day is just another day. Back and Leg day are my FAVORITE!!!

My wife deserves me having a great *kitten*.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs
    Shoulders

Back. And do them first.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs
    Shoulders

Back. And do them first.

IDEA Fitness member

Why do them first? I always do I'm just wondering what the reason behind it is.