Plese help! How to make salad more interesting??

Options
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my daily salad at lunchtime, but after two weeks it's getting a little repetitive. Currently I'm having iceberg lettuce, cucumber, carrot, celery, cherry tomatoes, pepper and sweetcorn with either some houmous or tuna, a dash of balsamic vinegar and ground black pepper.

Any ideas to liven it up a bit?

Replies

• Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    almond slivers
    raisins
    green grapes (halved)
    boiled egg whites
    beans (any kind)
    black olives
    chicken chunks
    onions and celery
    mushrooms

I keep trying to switch it up quite often so I don't get burned out. :)
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Changing up the dressings helps me the most.
    Try adding either raisins or dried cranberries to your salad, it gives it a nice little kick, Also try adding Black Pepper or Mrs Dash,
    Avocados, etc.
  • linds2324
    Options
    I like wasabi peas & pumpkin seeds (in moderation), chickpeas, lentils, strawberries, bean sprouts in addition to everything else that was mentioned!
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    mix and match some of these:
    apples
    dried cranberries
    feta cheese
    grilled chicken
    sliced turkey/ham
    blueberries
    strawberries
    sliced almonds
    walnuts
    sprouts
    spinach
    boiled egg slices
    tuna
    raspberries
    mandarin oranges
    etc.

Those are just some of my favorites :)
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    Try mixing up the greens in your salad by mixing in spinach, arugula or romaine. Then experiment with a few of these at a time:

dried fruit like raisins, cranberries or apricots
    nuts
    egg
    grilled chicken or steak
    raspberry vinegar
    diced apple or pear
    feta or sharp cheddar
    cottage cheese
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You guys are legends.

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into an exciting new salad tomorrow!

Lydia
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I put a big steak in it. :happy:
  • Brandip714
    Options
    My favorite is spinach, strawberries, blueberries, pecans or walnuts, feta cheese, dried cranberries, and fat free raspberry vinaigrette! You could also add salmon or tuna for protein :-)
  • glitterysam
    glitterysam Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    chillis/chilli flakes
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Squeeze half a lime onto it. Mmm. Also, take a couple of mini babybel light cheeses and chop them up and throw them in there
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Try a new lettuce? Kale, spinach, romaine? That will change the flavor some. Also, vary your dressings, if you want something creamy but low cal Bolthouse Creamy Parmigiano yogurt dressing tastes soooo good (like its terrible for you) but is only 45 cals for two tablespoons. Also, try adding in different textures, try a savory salad with nuts one day and try a salad with dried fruit or apples the next. Happy eating!
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend recently introduced me to this dressing that her mom makes and I am addicted to it like no other....

1 tbsp - Rice Wine Vinegar
    2 tbsp - Soy Sauce*
    1 tsp - Sesame Seed Oil
    squirt of lemon juice

*You can use an extra tbsp of Soy Sauce to cut the bite of the vinegar if you wish.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Broccoli salad w/roasted red peppers, red onion, artichoke hearts, fresh chopped hickory bacon, chopped walnuts, yellow pepper strips and a homemade buttermilk Ranch-style dressing.

Baby spinach, strawberries, chopped almonds, yellow and orange pepper strips, thinly sliced bermuda onion (very spicy), white mushrooms, fresh made vinaigrette

Add shrimp, chicken, steak tips..
    what ever floats your boat!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Beetroot
    Beansprouts
    Reggiano
    Different vinegarettes
    Olives
    Spicy chicken
    Flaked haddock
    Boiled eggs
    Cottage cheese
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Put gobs of ranch dressing, loads of cheese, tons bacon, and heaps of croutons. Then when you notice your pants tightening up, you can thank your interesting salad.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Try using different greens and top it with a bean salad.

Also, Romaine with an avacado smashed into it for dressing, with fresh squeezed lemon, salt, and pepper to taste. It's my wife's favority. About 1/2 avacado per head of Romaine.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I make a southwest one with spinach, red pepper, black beans, onion, tomato, salsa and a spoon of fat free sour cream.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like to add sunflower seeds, chopped celery, and cheese to it.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If I'm having a salad as my meal, I love to add nuts (cashews are my favorite) and feta cheese! YUM! Be careful though, these are great sources of protein, but also add quite a bit of calories and fat. Also, try switching up your lettuce - the darker green, the better (more nutritious) - Iceberg has almost zero nutritional value.

Enjoy!!
  • EbonyHKQ
    EbonyHKQ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Iceberg, spinach, rocket, tomatoes, sweetcorn, sweet peppers, grilled chicken pieces, crunchy red apple pieces and either french venigerette or sweet onion dressing.

The above is my all-time favourite but you can mix it up with other meats/seafood

Also why not have a small omelette with your salad, that's what I have today (mushroom and ham omelette with lettuce, cucumber and tomatoe on the side mmmmm yummmy and I am full)