question for ladies only!

Options
ok, when you start TOM, do you work out those first couple of days? I know in theory it helps cramps, but i have zero energy and just don't feel great in general. any thoughts?
yesterday was the first day, and i thought i was going to vomit the whole time i was running, it was so horrible.

any input is appreciated.

Replies

• Lisa_Mahaffey
    Options
    Yes, absolutely! It helps ease your cramps, helps with bloating, and can just make you feel better overall. If you ever feel sick while doing any form of cardio, you should stop. It sounds crazy, but crunches help a lot with the cramping. Keep it up!!
  • ncislandgirl
    ncislandgirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel exhausted the first couple of days during TOM but find that at least doing something even if it is lighter than normal, I feel better and not as bad. I can't help with cramps since don't have those!!!! Good luck and stay strong!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe that you should workout those days... Even if it's lighter (as previously stated)... something is ALWAYS better than nothing in this case!
  • twilight_fan
    Options
    i know what you meen by feeling tired and bloated so i will too take the advice of excersise when my fiend visits thanks
  • just2bfit
    Options
    I am with you! No energy :0( What I do is walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes or so and watch what i eat a little closer. The few minutes on the treadmill keeps me in the routine of working out, so it is easy to return to my normal workouts after. Hope it helps.
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    My doctor suggested that if you're not up for your regular workout, that some stretching (like gentle yoga) is a great way to still get in some movement, keep your muscles strong, and ease the cramping,
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, alough I definitly believe you should make your workout less intense, or do a flexibility or strenght training workout if you feel sick from cardio. Though I will admit, sometimes, I just make that first day my "day off" <winks>.
  • littlemissyme
    Options
    I myself do not do anything the first couple of days. It makes me fell worse but everybody is different. As long as i still keep watch of my calorie count I have no set backs.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I just started my first TOM in nearly two years. :(

NOT happy about it. Kind of snuck up on me and hit me hard. I haven't altered any of my workouts in anyway but today I am BUSHED. Am dreading tonight's workout. ALMOST skipped last night's but pulled myself together at the end, sucked it up, and got it over with.

I say do what your body can handle. On days I don't exercise, I just eat less to account for the exercise calories I didn't earn. If you're up to working out, go for it!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Eating high iron foods or taking a supplement if you know you are low in iron anyway (or a mulitvitamin has your 100% iron) can help with some of the fatigue too. Ideally you would take a MV daily, but as it takes iron a little while to get into your system (I was told by the blood bank (after failing 3 consecutive iron tests) that eating steak / spinach the night before would do little to my iron count - I would have to do it for 3-4 days consistently to make a big difference) you may want to eat high iron foods the week prior to your TOM to help balance out some of the iron loss and hopefully some of the fatigue.
  • inkprincess
    Options
    I just started my TOM today. And I also worked out. Sometimes it really sucks to do it, I feel absolutely drained before I start the workout. But when i'm done I feel better.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    I agree, I have killer PMS and it runs for a week befroe TOM htis and the week of TOM, so if I dont push my self then I am looking at two weeks amonth to exercise...not gonna cut it! I have noticed that if Istick w/my work out TOM is lighter and shorter,so that is my motivation!! Plus if I jsut killed my self with Jillian then I am soooo NOT giving into my cravings for choclate ice cream, (I did call hubby and ask fo rsome frozen yogurt though)

Point being do what you can and try to do something most days. Even if I'm sick, unless it's bad I do a bit of yoga or at least walk on treadmill
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yep, I get the killer cramps, bloating, and nausea. I find it best not to push it too hard those days (I don't run) but I do some moderate biking or walking and it does help me feel better (once I get get going).