Running a 5K--am I stupid?

Options
13»

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You are not stupid! You can do it! Most 5ks are walk/run anyway...currently, that's how I have to do them...YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Entering an event will help you get out and do the training - that's a good thing

Getting anxious about whether you will complete it and then overtraining and increasing risk of injury - that's a bad thing.

Keep the balance and you'll be fine.
  • MandaKayMakesIt
    Options
    Nope - not stupid. In fact the opposite. This will be a new beginning for you. Next year you'll be looking at 10k's. :drinker:

Love this!

Thank you, guys! I'm going to keep training and just go out there and do it--everyone else be damned! :)
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I am signed up for my first and currently doing C25k.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea to me!

Setting a scary goal and training to accomplish is a great idea!

Once you finish the 5k, sign up for a 10k and keep right on training!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    IMHO.....RUN IT! Do it the best you can this time around. It will give you a starting point, then run another one a little later.....breaking Personal Records is an amazing motivator! Just have fun with it.
  • leafstucker16
    leafstucker16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Not at all! I also just signed up for my first 5k on September 30th, I am doing c25k as well and am a bit nervous as I still have a lot of my weight to lose. But there is still weeks between now and then, just keep training and you will do great!
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nooook, you're smart! It's a great goal, you can do it. Even if you walk the whole way, you'll feel terrific. There's something so satisfying, inspiring and exciting about an organzied race--think you'll become addicted and immediately look for another to sign up for! My guess is that you'll run most of the way if not all the way. Remember, running is 80% mental--start believing you can do it...! Good luck and tell us how you do!
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    u dont have to run the whole time, its easy to get caught up and worn out fast i think with everyone around you, just go at a pace that u know is manageable. 5k isnt really that far, no ones gonna shame u for taking a break if u need to, im sure there will be ppl that are just walking the entire time. dont stress. id go out on ur own ahead of time and give it a go... see where ur at ability wise, maybe if u have a better idea of where ur at, u will know how to handle it better when the time comes. good luck! :D
  • kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am totally proud of you!!! Remember to post back after the marathon to tell us how you did and felt!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Its never a mistake to get active and commit yourself to a goal. Regardless of size, if you can complete the C25k workout, you can complete a 5k. I stretched the c25k program out a bit, but I eventually completed and can now run for an hour without stopping (although I am pretty slow). I was amazed the first time I ran 5k and I've surpassed that distance several times now. You should do it! If you train consistently, you'll be most of the way through the program when your race comes. Just enjoy the race and focus on completing it. Choose a sustainable pace and listen to your body - walk for 30 seconds here and there if necessary.
  • nuffexercise2012
    Options
    Let go of the negatives,YOU CAN DO THIS:bigsmile: . I've done a 5krun/walk it was awesome, go at the pace that's comfortable for you. Run when you can walk to recover, or just power walk it all the way, just have fun:drinker: