Ziploc omlet

Options
paddlemom
paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
ZIPLOC OMELET

(This works great !!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13
minutes [we did 15 minutes]. You can usually cook 6-8
omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Replies

• hollyj77
    Options
    I forgot about this! It does work and it's so easy. I can never make an omelet in a pan without messing it up or not cooking it thoroughly. Thanks for posting! :smile:
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe this - so I googled it - and it's all over the place. And the pics of the omelettes look great. This is awesome!
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    Awesome!!! I want to try this!!!!!

Just curious though: It is ok to put a ziploc bag in boiling water? I would think it would melt...maybe not!?
    VERY COOL!
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    This is toooooo cool! Thanks for sharing!
  • annette02
    Options
    I have to say.....my sister showed me this a couple years ago, and they are really good omlets...and healthy. NO grease or butter. And, I was shocked at how moist they were. This is a great idea that I had forgotten about....I think that's what I am making for supper. The kids will love to mix their own ingrediants! :)
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    That's cool !!! I'll have to try it.

Thanks for sharing !
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! My hubby will be very excited about this as he hates cleaning pans we've made omlettes in!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! My hubby will be very excited about this as he hates cleaning pans we've made omlettes in!

Ditto...except, it's somehow me doing the cleaning and I don't eat eggs, go figure. Besides he always uses the stainless not the non-stick.
  • J13Raven
    Options
    That is so interesting. I am going to try that tomorrow for breakfast!
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    We used to do this at scouts.

Mind the terrible name - throw up in a bag.

It was great for camping mornings.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Saving!
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    PLEASE make sure you use FREEZER bags only. The others are not designed to take the heat of the boiling water and some of the chemicals in the plastic can leach into your omelet. I called Ziplock. A bit paranoid, yeah, lol. We too LOVE these. Great way to get the little ones involved in making their own food, which they are then more likey to enjoy eating.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I must try this! This will be awesome for camping too! Thanks for sharing! :love:
  • FriedPicklePrincess
    Options
    One of the coolest things I have ever read! Thank you so much - this will make Brinner Nite so much fun at my house.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love omelets -- can't wait to try these!
  • cnbenton
    Options
    Saw Paula Deen do this on her show not long ago. I've been wanting to try it. Here's the link.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/omelette-for-a-crowd-recipe2/index.html
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    AH-MAZING! I hate making omelettes cuz they are SO difficult. I'm definitely trying this.
    Thanks for sharing!!:flowerforyou:
  • my2boystx
    Options
    What a great idea! TFS!
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am not so sure it is safe. I checked the Ziploc website, and could NOT find any statement that assured it was safe to boil food in a Ziploc bag. I did find this article (although it is already a couple of years old so might be outdated) which specifically says that Ziploc bags are NOT intended for boiling food. I'd want to see something in writing from Ziploc before I'd feel safe in feeding my family a meal boiled in that plastic.
    http://camping.about.com/od/campingrecipes/a/ziplocbaggies.htm
    Anyone find more current written information? Thanks.