Question about metabolism and TDEE

Options
I am 32 years old, 6'0 and 210 pounds. I have been following the 20% below TDEE plan which puts me at approximately 2100 calories. I have been eating at that level and not eating my exercise calories back. I have been jogging 4 times a week for about 30-40 minutes and according to my Fitbit which I wear every day, I have an average of 2750 calories burned each day.

After a month and a half, I am still not seeing any progress. I have been a yo-yo dieter for a while now and wonder if it is because of my metabolism. I have heard that I should eat at my maintenance level for a few weeks to restart, but wasn't sure if that would be the way to go. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am 32 years old, 6'0 and 210 pounds. I have been following the 20% below TDEE plan which puts me at approximately 2100 calories. I have been eating at that level and not eating my exercise calories back. I have been jogging 4 times a week for about 30-40 minutes and according to my Fitbit which I wear every day, I have an average of 2750 calories burned each day.

After a month and a half, I am still not seeing any progress. I have been a yo-yo dieter for a while now and wonder if it is because of my metabolism. I have heard that I should eat at my maintenance level for a few weeks to restart, but wasn't sure if that would be the way to go. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Are you using a food scale and measuring devices for your food? How often do you eat out (nothing wrong with it but tracking it can have lots of inaccuracies), do you track EVERYTHING that you consume that has calories?

My point: It's worth exploring whether or not you are having errors on the food intake side of things, before concluding any changes need to be made.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You might consider finding a place in your area that can test your RMR. That way, the base number you are working from is YOUR metabolism. Not the average for your age.

I had mine tested and found that I wasn't losing weight because my metabolism was extremely slow.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Are you using a food scale and measuring devices for your food? How often do you eat out (nothing wrong with it but tracking it can have lots of inaccuracies), do you track EVERYTHING that you consume that has calories?

My point: It's worth exploring whether or not you are having errors on the food intake side of things, before concluding any changes need to be made.

This.
    It is very easy to underestimate intake and overestimate burn, especially when you first start tracking. Start by making every effort towards accuracy. Good luck!
  • ekaplan1020
    Options
    I try to be accurate when food logging. I will measure what I can and try to be generous when estimating amounts.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I try to be accurate when food logging. I will measure what I can and try to be generous when estimating amounts.

I would do that and I would also try to minimize estimation by measuring. Do you own a food scale and measuring devices?

I'm not suggesting that you should ALWAYS for the rest of your life weigh and measure everything, I'm suggesting doing it for a couple of weeks to give yourself a very good idea of whether or not you are way off currently.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    In addition to what sidesteal said about accuracy, if you're not making any progress, increase your activity. 30 minutes of moderate cardio 4x per week isn't much. I'd recommend that you start lifting.
  • atoffan
    atoffan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed. I think the common mistake people make is underestimating their portion sizes. You would be amazed how small a half cup is for example.
  • ekaplan1020
    Options
    In addition to what sidesteal said about accuracy, if you're not making any progress, increase your activity. 30 minutes of moderate cardio 4x per week isn't much. I'd recommend that you start lifting.

I do try to lift a couple days per week as my schedule allows.