Flax oil/seed?

Options
2»

Replies

• YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Flax is a decent source of fibre but a poor source of omega-3, which many people take it for. You would be better off with fish oil capsules if you want an omega-3 supplement.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4920084

What he said. It's 100% true.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I take the Flaxseed Oil Softgels 1000 mg two or three times per day
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I take a TBSP daily of the liquid straight...tastes like cucumber peel to me. Not awesome but certainly not disgusting either. I have noticed great benefits from it - joints, hair, nails, skin, inflammation. Great source of omega 3's and 9's. It's something I would certainly recommend to friends.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love every form of flax! I've never just chugged a cup of flax oil and I don't particularly care for eating the seeds or meal by itself, but I LOVE it on and in EVERYTHING! I only use the oil in/on things that aren't cooked. As others have said, it's very good for many aspects of health. But if you reeeeeeeally want a vegetable based source for Omega 3's then I have to recommend Verdolaga/Purslane.

All the best on your journey!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I used flax seed oil daily. I take a Nature Made 1400mg softgel every day. There is no aftertaste, burping bad taste, nothing. It has many dietary benefits, but I take it because it has helped get my triglycerides down because it is a rich source of Omega-3.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    looks like I need to try flax seeds then! my skin and hair needs all the help it can get! lol x
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Flax is a decent source of fibre but a poor source of omega-3, which many people take it for. You would be better off with fish oil capsules if you want an omega-3 supplement.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4920084

Thanks for that very educational link...i will be more religious with my fish oil supplements. I always assumed the flaxseed oil was enough.
  • clarkindee
    clarkindee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I put them in oatmeal in the morning (seeds). We already take fish oil supplements but I want the flax seeds too -- I'll basically do anything I can to lower my husband's cholesterol naturally.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have been taking flax seed oils and fish oils for years on a daily bases. I use gel caps and have no after effects what so ever.
  • Villy17
    Villy17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to eat flax seeds everyday until I read about Chia seeds. Chia is more expensive but it also brings much more to the table nutrition wise.

- More Omega-3's
    - More fibre
    - A good source of calcium
    - They do not need to be ground up in order to absorb nutrients

This is the new superfood that has become a staple in my diet!
  • Lila90
    Lila90 Posts: 27
    Options
    I take 1 tbsp of Barlean's Highest Lignan Flax Oil everyday.

It tastes repulsive on its own to me *gag*. So i can only tolerate it in my smoothies to mask the taste.

I :heart: :heart: :heart: how it makes my skin more supple, glowing, younger-looking, & baby smooth soft!

It's better to take it in liquid or seed form cause you would need to take 14 capsules to equal 1 tbsp of flax oil/seeds.