Healthy snacking while at the office

Options
So I definitely have a problem. About 5 minutes ago, I had a bag a Sun Chips. Which I know is pretty bad but I guess things could have been worse. Then more chips presented themselves and I had some Fritos...ugh! I have no willpower anymore..I really need to get it back.

Any good tips for healthy snacking?
or how to get my will power back..

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I bag my lunch, which contains a balanced meal and snacks.

This benefits me three ways:

1. I control my food intake without having to depend on willpower alone.
    2. It's a LOT cheaper.
    3. I bicycle to work, 14 miles with hills each way. The lunch adds to the weight of my pannier, burning more calories.
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I bring my snacks from home! Grapes, apples, cucumbers things like that! Makes it easier! And keeps me away from the snack machines!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I always pack my own snacks, so that I am not feeling snackish with nothing healthy to eat. I pack individual serving size baggies full of grapes, or a banana, an apple, etc. Sometimes I snack on seeds or nuts, but I also always prepackage them into individual sevings cause I tend to get carried away with them and they are high calorie. I have gotten into the habit of always taking snacks with me if I am going to be in a situation where I might be tempted.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bring things from home. You control the quantity and the quality : )

I usually measure out things into snack bags, like almonds or walnuts and keep them in my desk. I also keep protein powder and a shaker bottle on hand. The higher protein helps keep the hungries away.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bring snacks with you to work. This is the only thing that works for me. I know I'm going to want to snack once 3-4 o'clock hits, so I make sure I have healthy snacks so I don't wander down to Walgreens and get something bad for me. If you have something else to snack on, it is much easier to ignore the chips. I typically bring a ziplock baggie full of veggies (cucumber, cherry tomato, broccoli, bell pepper) and a cup of blueberries or a peach.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1) Plan. - bring enough snacks to keep you full all day
    2) Try to incorporate 1 or 2 veggie and 1 fruit - good for you, good for munching- try things like cherry tomatoes, greenbeans and sugar snap peas (Carrots and celery too, but I get SO bored with them SO fast)
    3) Also keep something protein-y on hand for bigger hunger
    4) Eat a bit heavier earlier and taper down with more but less filling snacks in the afternoon <-- That one is more of a personal preference. I like to eat more before about 330 and taper down to mellow dinner.
  • rachel_kiel
    Options
    :smile:
    I bag my lunch, which contains a balanced meal and snacks.

This benefits me three ways:

1. I control my food intake without having to depend on willpower alone.
    2. It's a LOT cheaper.
    3. I bicycle to work, 14 miles with hills each way. The lunch adds to the weight of my pannier, burning more calories.

Wow! You bike that many miles to work that's so awesome! I too have recently tried taking my meals to work. Definitely a LOT cheaper (and for a college student I need all the help I can get). But I am not sure how this will pan out once school starts and I commute to school; I'll have to figure out what meals I will take. I definitely struggle with willpower, but have found it is easier when I take my own things from home. Best of luck to you! :smile:
  • jmedfoster
    jmedfoster Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I keep a drawer of granola bars, apples, bananas, healthy snacks. AND I took all of the change out of my desk to stop my urge to go to the soda machine. I also keep some frozen yogurt in the freezer in our office, sweets always make it easier!! TCBY has great yogurt and it is pretty light on the calories and other bad stuff, just choose wisely.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots and preztels are crunchy just likes chips, but very low fat.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the bring snacks from home.
    If you are tempted to nibble on other things (chips), then try to log them before you eat them. That extra pause and realization of how many calories can sometimes help the willpower kick in.
  • Rayzback
    Rayzback Posts: 73
    Options
    Fruits and Veggies for most of my snacks (whcih I like ot bag in grams) and the other snacks I do buy are usually packaged in 100 cals. When I eat the really tasty treats (in the 100 cal packs) I act as if they are the last one on earth... nibble and enjoy.
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So I definitely have a problem. About 5 minutes ago, I had a bag a Sun Chips. Which I know is pretty bad but I guess things could have been worse. Then more chips presented themselves and I had some Fritos...ugh! I have no willpower anymore..I really need to get it back.

Any good tips for healthy snacking?
    or how to get my will power back..
    As I was literally JUSTTTTT about to go to the lobby and get a pack of Doritos...I see this..haha, I guess I'll just wait till I get home!
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Things that I keep in my desk...

Unsalted soy nuts
    Emerald Cinnamon Roast Almonds
    Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds
    Chocolate or Caramel mini rice cakes
    Raisins
    Instant oatmeal
    Pure Protein bars (only eaten 1 hour before my workouts at the gym)

Things that I keep in the refrigerator in the office...

Baby carrots
    Celery sticks
    Whatever fruit is in season

Thing that I keep in my head...

No matter what you eat, you must not eat too much of it! Everything in moderation.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I bring my own lunch, which because of my work, tends to get eaten over the course of a couple of hours so snacking just doesn't happen very often.

I've learned that I can't keep anything in my desk because I will simply eat it. All of it. Often without really thinking about it.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I bag my lunch-always try to have an apple and yogurt for the snaking time. Also just bought Garden Veggie Straws-38 are only 130 calories! Satifies the crunch and salt crave...also have had Genisoy Snacks...5 grams of protein!
  • lilbrowngirlsj
    lilbrowngirlsj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I make my own trail mix, since the pre-made ones almost always have things I don't like in them. I put in walnuts, yogurt covered raisins or regular craisins, dried cherries or blueberries, banana chips...whatever I'm in the mood for. I break up the walnuts into fourths though, since those tend to have more calories and it makes me eat less of them. Then I keep that at my desk. I also keep the Snackwell's yogurt covered pretzels (100 calories) or the new Fig Newton brand blueberry crisps (3 are 120 calories, I think). It helps to stave off the munchies for me. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I keep healthy snacks in my desk or the fridge at work - nuts, dry roasted edamame, low sugar granola bars, fruit, veggies, hummus, peanut butter, cottage cheese, string cheese, low sodium V8, etc.

Will power is much easier if you are not hungry, so grab yourself a healthy snack before the chips have a chance to present themselves.
  • carlyhawks05
    carlyhawks05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, I plan to eat lunch a little after noon. Then, I bring 2 snacks with me to work to have around 2:30 and 4, knowing that I leave work at 5. I found this to be a good way to get me through the afternoon and keeps me satisfied through my workout, which is usually around 5:30. My snacks of choice:

1. Carrots and hummus (I measure my hummus and only bring 2 Tbsp with me so I don't over do it)
    2. Any fruits, my favs are apples / bananas / peaches / melon
    3. Greek Yogurt

I look at my day to make sure I am not taking in too much sugar with all of the fruits I eat.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    OFFICES ARE EVIL. PPL BRING HORRIBLE *kitten* TO WORK AND EXPECT EVERYONE TO "ENJOY." sorry, my office is notorious for catered lunches, catered bfasts, gormet baked goods, etc etc. i'm also dealing with it today. and i'm tired. RAPTOR RAWR :angry:
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I used to work in an office I tried to make sure I brought my own lunch every day with snacks and didn't carry any change in my purse so I couldn't be tempted by the vending machines!

The sorts of snacks I took were flavoured rice cakes, carrot sticks and houmous and mixed berries. I used to buy the berries or carrot sticks and separate them into bags straight away so they were ready in the fridge to just grab in the morning before work :)