what can you use besides salad dressing on salads?

Options

Replies

• lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing spritzers!
    this sounds good and light
  • nijeka
    Options
    Depending on the time of year (and depending on where you live), if you can get fresh tomatoes, rather than cutting them up and putting IN the salad, an old family secret of my husbands Italian family is........you SQUEEZE the tomato into a bowl, infuse with fresh garlic, salt and pepper.....they also add oil/vinegar, but I prefer just the plain "tomato juice" w/out oil or vin......summertime is great for the juicy tomatoes.....I'm getting hungry for salad now!!!!!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I bought a spray bottle, washed it and poured lime juice in it. I use that to spritz on my salads and then sprinkle with Mrs. Dash's Fiesta Lime. I don't even log it in because it's virtually zero in every category.
  • dansu2000
    Options
    One tablespoon of no sugar added raspberry jam and a little water mixed together. Tastes great over spinach leaves and low fat blue cheese.....yum
  • hessond
    hessond Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Nice ideas!! I have been looking for alternatives for salad dressings. I like light raspberry vinaigrette.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    walden farms salad dressings
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    A tiny bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lots of herbs! I use italian seasoning and garlic salt or sea salt.
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love lemon, so I almost always use that on my salads
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The more I've been exposed to fresh salads with high-quality greens, the more I find I do not even need dressing. I can hardly believe it, but the flavor of the greens and other vegetables you could put in are so great, I often feel that dressing covers them up! sometimes I make my own dressing, but if I used it at all, it's very, very sparingly, like 2 teaspoons for a smallish salad: extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, (add vinegar first then add oil to it slowly and whisk) and minced garlic is a good start. If you like more tangyness, add a good mustard that you like. Lemon is nice, too. I like vinaigrettes over creamy dressings, because I find them to be more light and refreshing (and they're better for losing weight, too, obviously)...another good thing to put on salads is pickled green beans with fresh dill and maybe a few crumbles of reduced fat feta cheese in addition to tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli. You might find with such flavorful ingredients such as dill and feta, you won't miss the dressing!
  • StacyMcKnight
    Options
    If you can't find anything you like and decide to keep using salad dressings my friend had a great tip for me. When you order of make a salad, keep the dressing on the side and dip your fork once before picking up the salad, you use WAY LESS dressing but it seems to be the perfect amount taste wise.
  • snowbunnyak
    Options
    I use 1 table spoon lemon juice, 1 table spoon extra virgin olive oil, half a clove of garlic, and a dash of salt...
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki (Greek), definitely!!! It's not just for Gyros and Souvlaki (which I miss, being on a diet). Use it on garden salad or Greek salad, or toast some multigrain pitas with a little Greek seasoning and dip in to this sauce. It's great. I found the owner of a local pizza place is from Crete, and he always makes this for me when I bring the kids in for pizza (he knows I'm on a diet).

Ingredients
    2 (8 ounce) containers plain yogurt 2 cucumbers - peeled, seeded and diced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
    3 cloves garlic, peeled

Directions
    (revised--it was missing a step that would solve the runniness problem. Drain the yogurt in a colander for a few hours. This is the way they do it the Greek restaurants. You should also salt and drain the cucumbers for an hour.)

In a food processor or blender, combine yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic. Process until well-combined. Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavor.
  • sincereme
    Options
    I bought a spray bottle, washed it and poured lime juice in it. I use that to spritz on my salads and then sprinkle with Mrs. Dash's Fiesta Lime. I don't even log it in because it's virtually zero in every category.

Oh thats a great idea! Thanks!!!
  • jsullybooker
    Options
    I have discovered Italian Rose fresh salsas, one is mango based and the other is tomato based. They can be purchased at Sam's. I make my usual salad with lettuce, tomatoes, and whatever other fresh veggies I have on hand. I add 1/4 cup of dried cranberries, a sprinkle of sea salt, and a sprinkle of Splenda. Then I toss the salad in 1/2 cup of whichever salsa I am in the mood for that day. The tomato salsa (1/2 cup) has 40 calories, 0 fats, and 8 grams of carbs. The mango salsa (1/2 cup) has 140 calories, 0 fats, and 40 grams of carbs. You could use less salsa to cut the calories even more, but this is the amount that I like.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    im not a fan of shop bought salad dressings i find them way too oily for my liking, i opt for just a squeeze of lemon juice or a bit of vinegar instead
    or a yogurt and mint one is rather tasty but i tend to use that more of a dip for carrot and cucumber sticks :D
    x
  • SueGlazier
    SueGlazier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My 18 year old son decided one day he didnt want mayo or salad cream and rummaged through the different dressings in my fridge. He came across the mint sauce that we would have on roast lamb. That seemed rather strange but was absolutely delicious. Only vinegar and mint so virtually no calories at all.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I like the yogurt based ideas! Get some extra protein too. I don't know why I didnt think of that! The Taziki idea sounds great. I wonder how many calories this actually saves. If it's not significant I say enjoy the fat.

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Caesar-Salad-Dressing-_cook-Yourself-Thin_-Recipezaar

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Low-Fat-Creamy-Italian-Salad-Dressing-Food_com-104888

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Yogurt-Tomato-Dressing-Recipezaar

I also do love trying different vinegars rice and red wine are my favorite. I'm also going to try some anchovies, yum! Yes, I said yum.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You can make a vinaigrette out of almost anything. If you like the flavor, can fit it in a bottle and add some vinegar and oil to it, you can make a dressing.
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I frequently mix 2 TBS ff plain greek yogurt with salsa verde.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I use 1% cottage cheese and vinegar.