Its hard to stick with it!

Options
2»

Replies

• Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You say you have a very limited diet due to other health issues. Maybe you can turn this to your advantage. I find that having a limited range of foods in my diet helps me to stick with it. I eat nearly exactly the same thing every weekday, with the only variations being the type of fruit I eat or maybe a piece of toast and an egg instead of two eggs.

It's boring, but it works for me. I'm not constantly thinking about what I'm going to eat next because it's the same thing as yesterday. And I don't really get cravings during the week. Mondays are sometimes tough, since I'm more flexible about what I eat on the weekends.

I'd suggest finding foods that work with your other considerations, plan out your menu for the week as others have suggested, and turn your interest to other things.

Good luck!

The diet is my hardest thing due to my limitations. I wanted to consult a nutritionist but my insurance does not cover it and they hourly rate is crazy expensive. I have food I have to completely avoid and other I have to be careful of due to fiber. I have to follow a low fiber diet to be comfortable. I have gotten to the point that I eat the same thing all the time and get completely bored and that is when I screw up my diet.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I have been watching what I eat on and off for 3 years with very little weight loss success. I have been working out consistently until I had foot surgery 2.5 months ago. I now cannot workout at all and my weight has all came back to haunt me again.
    My question is.... What do you do that keeps you on your preferred eating plan? I start off with the best intentions and it lasts a week or 2 and I'm back to my old ways. I have completed the insanity workout before I had foot surgery and lost about 5 pounds doing that but I still had a hard time actually sticking to my calorie intake. I generally dont have a hard time sticking to my workouts...its just the diet that kills me. I do eat healthy but I eat way too much of the healthy stuff. Any tips of what you do to stick to your goal??

I had half of my left foot amputated because of bone infection, so I know where you're coming from. Diet is more important than exercise when it comes to weight loss. When I just worry about my diet, I lose about 2.5 lbs a week and that's while laid up. There are some exercises you can do while resting your foot like boxing on the Wii or even dancing in your seat (sounds lame, I know).
    If you want it enough, you'll stick with it. I ended up dropping my calories to 1300 and kept my sodium super low while laid up.

Best of luck to you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is hard.

We evolved to be gluttons, back in the deepest recesses of your brain is that primitive part of every human that worries about there being a famine tomorrow, add to that the fact that every 2nd ad on TV is for some fast food joint or something edible. We also live in a time of incredible abundance (at least for the "have" nations)

On top of that we evolved to move, to do hard physical labour and chase down our food. We now live, for the most part, relatively sedentary lives.

It's easier to give in to the lizard part of your brain and eat uncontrollably. It's easier to sit on your butt and play video games or watch tv.

Easy is killing us.............
  • Bluebox32
    Options
    I had surgery on both feet in November and luckily didn't gain the weight back - till I got back on my feet :blushing: But the only way to do this is by making the right choice every time. You choose what you eat and how much. By now you know what you should be eating, you have the knowledge just work on the consistency. I don't say this because I have it down myself, I say it because I understand and also have to consciously make decisions all day long. Good luck!

What type of surgery did you have and did you regain flexibilty back? I have a limp right now due to me not being able to fully flex my toe in the upward position that you normally do when you walk or run.
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The best news is you've started (as opposed to those out in the world that need to start, but deny they do).

The good news is you can increase veggies and fruit and real clean foods and keep your calorie intake low.

More good news is YES YOU CAN EXERCISE!! Just not walking, running. Try core training, arm/upper body working out.

The bad news is if you don't you'll only be hendering yourself.

More good news, we're all out here going through the same problems, and we'll still be here later on too! You're a strong woman sister, get out there and give yourself the best!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You have to find things to eat that are healthy AND that you enjoy as much as some of that other unhealthy stuff. I promise you there are things out there! If you constantly feel like you are being deprived of what you really want to eat, you will never succeed in the long term. There is no reason why you can't eat what you want within reason. It's all about portion control. There are many variations to this type of "lifestyle change" depending on the person. Some people may feel 100% satisfied by 100% clean healthy eating. Others may need to get their McDonald's fix in from time to time, or eat an ice cream at the end of the day. You have to find out what works for you. That is the only way you will stick with it.

How to do this?

Try eating different things, in particular fruits and vegetables. Try cooking vegetables in different ways or dipping raw vegetables in different things -- i.e. yogurt based ranch dressing, salsa, or hummus. Think about how you can make healthier versions of meals or desserts you really enjoy. (Making something at home is almost always going to be lower calorie than eating out.) Check out Skinny Taste for some great recipes. Find replacements for your weaknesses. For example, if you like potato chips, see if there is something else you can snack on -- i.e. veggies and hummus dip or even pita chips and hummus dip. Of course, it won't hurt you to have potato chips from time to time. Maybe eating a peach or some raspberries will help out with your sweet tooth, if you have one. You can make chicken and fish a million different ways, many of them very healthy. Simply changing your portion size can make a huge difference. This requires some experimentation, but it is worth it. If you keep it interesting, you will be less likely to lapse.
  • Bluebox32
    Options
    I really appreciate everyones comments:smile:
    I am starting over today and be active on here. That will help me stick to it.

I just need to find a balanced diet. I only can have a limited about of fruit and veggies due to fiber and beans are a big no-no. I can eat 1 eggwhite a day and fish. Anyone know of a good blog or a member here that is a nutritionist?
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have had two foot surgeries and then broke 4th metarsal bone all in my right foot. One of the surgeries required me to be on crutches with no weight bearing for 16 weeks. Use the bike for cardio. It takes a little practice with the boot on but the last time I broke my foot, there were 4 of us in the gym with boots working out. Do upper body work. Get creative with what you can do. Watch the foot. If you hurt, it is going to take longer to recover. Eating healthy also helps with the recovery.
  • SP00KSH0WBABY
    Options
    Honestly... I buy the healthiest things I can. If I have to eat chese, I pay the extra $2 to get the "healthiest" cheese I can. I continue to buy things I like so I don't feel as if I'm struggling, but I just pay attention to what I'm getting... for instance, since I REALLY like junk food, I've started to eat jelly on multigrain slim buns. Tit for tat. I haven't been challened with going out with my friends to eat yet, but then I will try my hardest to find something to suit my needs. If I can't, then I try to make up for it by cutting the rest of my calorie intake for that day. Goodluck. Talk to others, surround yourself with supportive people. :smile:
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have restarted today for the 100th time and we will see how things go. I have a very limited diet due to intolerances and IBS but I am trying to follow a mix of the Paleo and Mediterranean diet. I am unable to workout due to my foot surgery so I know my diet is KEY at this point. I think I have 2-3 more months of no exercise.

Have you heard of sit aerobics? There are exercises out there that can be done sitting so there would be no strain on the foot injury. Do a google search on it, it may help get the exercise factor back in. Also as for the diet part of it, diet is like 80% of the weight loss and exercise is the other 20%. As hard as it may be if you committ to the diet side of it you will lose the weight. (My sister lost 100lbs by diet alone before adding in exercise.) I have found that by sticking to the changes to my diet it gets easier in time. Good luck to you!
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    If you are making large drastic changes, it will be much harder to stick with. Have some patience and clean up your diet - PERMANENTLY - one step at a time.

Pick one thing and eliminate it. Next week, pick another. Rinse, repeat until you have changed your lifestyle into something you can sustain. Going from eating like most people eat to Paleo is a BIG change. Paleo is a tough diet to stick to even if you already eat fairly cleanly.

Small steps and patience. Your body isn't going anywhere. :)
  • Bluebox32
    Options
    I have had two foot surgeries and then broke 4th metarsal bone all in my right foot. One of the surgeries required me to be on crutches with no weight bearing for 16 weeks. Use the bike for cardio. It takes a little practice with the boot on but the last time I broke my foot, there were 4 of us in the gym with boots working out. Do upper body work. Get creative with what you can do. Watch the foot. If you hurt, it is going to take longer to recover. Eating healthy also helps with the recovery.

I would love to use a bike but I dont have a gym membership. I guess I just need to focus on upper body and core work.