URGENT guidance needed !!!!!!!! Please help . . . .

Options
Good Evening All !!!

Im really in need of help as I am confused !!!!!!

Im coming well within my calories ( the daily message came up Im eating too little calories / starvation mode )

Im having Fat & Protein appearing in red, which means Im going over my daily allowance. Does this affect the weight loss although Im well within my calorie allowance ??

I was working so hard just concentrating on the calories, I have only just noticed these red scores at the bottom !!!

Calories 606 ( in green )

Carbs 151 ( in green )

Fat -2 ( in red )

Protein -16 ( in red )

Do I have to ensure that they all stay on green for weight loss or shall I just concentrate on the calories at the moment ?

Please Help !!!!

Dave

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    16 over in Protein is not bad, I wouldn't worry about that.

606 calories short for the day is, however, not all that great for you. That message is a WARNING, not congratulatory.
  • Funeral09
    Options
    Thanks for you response !

So going into red doesnt affect the weight loss ?

Ive been concentrating on the calorie intake !!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Lots of differing opinions on this, but basic weight loss is a calorie game. So, staying at, slightly above, or slightly below your calorie target is what will make the most difference. However, WHAT you eat, will make a difference on how you feel. Fill your calories with lots of processed food, and your nutrients will be bad and you'll be eating less volume of food for the same number of calories.

Being over on your protein is good, as MFP is pretty low on their standard protein recommendations. Being over on fat can be OK, especially if you're eating good fats. Being over on sugars is bad (unless it's mostly from fruits and such), and carbs can be iffy depending on what kind of carbs you're eating. Over on fiber is fine too.

If you're just starting, concentrate on the calories. Go for whole, natural foods like fruits, veggies, nuts, lean meats and dairy products. As you go through the process, you can/will gradually clean up your diet.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? I suspect that you are probably eating enough, but just not eating back your exercise calories. Men in particular should eat more protein due to additional muscle mass.

I've read from several different sources that you should have between 1.5-3.5 grams of protein for each pound of lean body mass. I set mine at 0.7 grams of protein for each pound of body weight since I'm around 28-30% bodyfat right now.

It's good that you are noticing the more advanced functions of the tools. This means you are really ready to move into high gear. MFP has so many great functions, just start clicking on stuff and tweaking your settings until you hit a perfect combo for you.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As you go day-by-day you will find what works for you. Too many calories you will gain weight, too few calories you will not lose weight. I personally early on experienced this because I will too anxious to get to my first mini-goal which was about 30 lbs so I dropped my daily calorie intake from 1600 to 1400. By the math I should have lost weight, but instead I stalled. It took about 2 weeks to start losing weight again.

Red numbers are not necessarily bad. For example if you have extra Vitamin C during the day (say you have an Orange) then you Vitamin C will be red, silly yes, but that is how the software works. Some people will tell you do not eat too many carbs, I would tend to agree. Too much protein will probably not hurt your weight loss goals. Too much fat will probably only affect your blood chemistry, but there are others here who can fill you in on that.

Please be encouraged, when I started I was 330 lbs (149 kg) and the doctor was concerned about my blood pressure too, but over the last several months I have manged to lose 50 lbs (22 kg) and I feel better already. My ultimate goal is to lose at least 100+ pounds and hope that at that time my blood pressure will be normal. The only real trick with MFP is to be consistent with the logging (make it a habit) and if you get to something that gives you some weight loss, don't monkey with it too much. Good luck!
  • Funeral09
    Options
    Thank you all on your responses !!

Really has helped :)

Dave