Low Fat vs. Low Carb Diet

Options
Which one is better for weight loss and why? Discuss.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The comparisons are pointless without considering context, such as the individuals dietary needs and how you are defining low.

Generally speaking, fat is physiologically more important.

Weight loss will primarily be driven by energy balance. Macronutrients matter for various reasons such as body composition, hormones, etc.
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The comparisons are pointless without considering context, such as the individuals dietary needs and how you are defining low.

For an average/normal man or woman. As far as defining low, I mean limiting (or eliminating) one while likely raising intake of the other. Thanks for your input!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    In research where all other factors are the same and calories are strictly monitored, neither has been shown to have an advantage.

In studies that show a low carb diet to be superior, usually the low carb diet is higher in protein, and/or calorie intake is self reported.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I don't think either is particularly great for long term health, or optimal for weight loss.
    It may be worth your time to check out "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman which is a high nutrient content diet style. I started 6 weeks ago and have lost 26 lbs in that time period, I no longer count calories, lost my hunger cravings (except at mealtime), and feel better than I have in a very long time. Anyway, it's worth looking into.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    How about just Low (er) Calorie?
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If those are my only options, low carb all the way. Fat is yummy.
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options

That's what I'm doing now. I'm just curious what people have to say, that's all. :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The ins, outs, and whatnots of all the various diet types is dicussed in this series of articles:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/comparing-the-diets-part-1.html

The basic gist is that it doesn't matter at all. Pick whicher you can stick to easiest. Unless you are diabetic/prediabetic, then chances are low carb is best for you.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Fat is an essential nutrient. Carbs are not. Take that how you will.
  • cjc166
    Options

Lower calorie by itself is no good if you're eating Twinkies at all of your meals. :bigsmile:

Lower calorie is certainly good if it's healthy.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

For an average/normal man or woman. As far as defining low, I mean limiting (or eliminating) one while likely raising intake of the other. Thanks for your input!

As far as "limiting' goes, that again depends on context. I would say that there's a lower threshold for fat intake that you wouldn't want to go under for a prolonged period of time.

If you're talking about eliminating or getting as close to zero as you can, I'd remove carbs before removing fat, for physiological reasons.

But beyond that (and for the record, look at FireBrands post too because it's correct), I think both are silly as arbitrary diets.

The ideal would be to look at the individual and his or her personal and performance needs and structure your macro intake to meet that. I don't function well when I go below 200g carb for example. Someone else may not do well going over 50.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Lower calorie by itself is no good if you're eating Twinkies at all of your meals. :bigsmile:

I know you're probably just being silly but the above also depends on context. I could eat a twinkie at every meal and look the way I do now and have great health markers.
  • Selfmadepsyche
    Selfmadepsyche Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I found it easier to give up bread than bacon and full-fat cheese. In the sticking-with-it sense, that makes a low-carb diet better for my weight loss goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Study after study that I have seen point to better weight loss with High protein, moderate carb and fat when calories are equal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15466943

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18769212
  • laurie858
    laurie858 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    IMO, low carb is better for weight loss, specifically fat loss. Your body needs fat (good fats: 2% milk, a drizzle of olive oil to cook chicken breast, some avocado on a salad, etc). We don't really NEED bread, pasta, twinkies, candy, etc.

Every day I shoot for 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat.

I REALLY limit carbs like bread of any kind or color including tortillas and wraps, pasta, sugar, crackers, chips, etc. Most days I go without eating anything in the "grain" category except steel cut oats in the AM, sweet potatoes (no butter!), and brown rice.

But I don't feel guilty for having a big salad with lots of dark leafy greens, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, avocado, chicken, and my favorite Newman's Own restaurant style italian dressing (not light). It's got "carbs" but I don't personally count veggies as "carbs" even though they technically are. I eat as many veggies as I want. And it's got fat from the avocado and dressing. But it's super healthy, good protein, and guilt-free in my book.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I believe that most people find low carb easier for weight loss because it allows you to eat more satisfying foods and a high fat/high protein diet is better for satiety than many other diets.
  • cjc166
    Options

I know you're probably just being silly but the above also depends on context. I could eat a twinkie at every meal and look the way I do now and have great health markers.
    You probably could, as long as you were eating very well otherwise.
    I was actually referring to the diet where one would eat nothing but Twinkies. It's worth a google, or, maybe it isn't. :smile:
  • cjc166
    Options
    I believe that most people find low carb easier for weight loss because it allows you to eat more satisfying foods and a high fat/high protein diet is better for satiety than many other diets.

I used to think this same thing until I found the nutritarian diet style. It's worth investigating if you haven't heard of it.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I used to think this same thing until I found the nutritarian diet style. It's worth investigating if you haven't heard of it.

Saying that one should eat primarily nutrient dense foods is kind of beside the point.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

U dont need to eliminate either! You're body needs both fat & carbs. I suggest a balanced diet 40/30/30