The customer is not always right...

Options
taylor5877
taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
In fact sometimes they're just a dumbass...

Having trouble bridging the gap between what they are telling me they need and what they have in their mind that they need.

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Yup.

But in the interest of making sales, keeping a customer and the gossip train.... they're always right.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i've been in customer service for over 10 years. I have trained customer service and technical support, and most of whom i have trained came in with the incorrect notion that "the customer is always right." It's not the case, and no company I have worked for ever advocated that we take that approach. I have always stressed courtesy, a willingness to assist and educating the customer, but not blowing smoke up his/her *** to make them think they were right.

as a customer, i know i am not always right, and most people think this, too. In fact, in my experience, if you have a customer that says "the customer is always right" to you, they are the ones who know they are the most wrong. because they are quoting some outdated mantra as their sole defense.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    i've been in customer service for over 10 years. I have trained customer service and technical support, and most of whom i have trained came in with the incorrect notion that "the customer is always right." It's not the case, and no company I have worked for ever advocated that we take that approach. I have always stressed courtesy, a willingness to assist and educating the customer, but not blowing smoke up his/her *** to make them think they were right.

as a customer, i know i am not always right, and most people think this, too. In fact, in my experience, if you have a customer that says "the customer is always right" to you, they are the ones who know they are the most wrong. because they are quoting some outdated mantra as their sole defense.

I agree!! Nothing irks me more than an irate customer being abusive and quoting "but the customer is always right" line of crap.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options

Sometimes?

Every time I worked in retail I hated the customers. HATED THEM!
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    I work at a finance company. You can imagine the quality of calls we receive if funds aren't being sent or items are being charged back.
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options

Sometimes?

Every time I worked in retail I hated the customers. HATED THEM!

I hated working retail!!! Never again!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I owned my own business for a while. I had a higher-end business that catered more to people with money. What I learned about all this is that often there is a mis-match between what a company offers, and the expectations of the customers. This typically happens a lot in retail, since any dub@$$ in the world can walk in. I have experience with retail, but it seems like it would be difficult.

For other businesses though, they sometimes bring it on themselves. I paid for a one-year hosting solution based on an add that they set-up for you and it's easy. After I paid on-line because that's how you had to do it, they started asking me for this really heavy technical information. I was like, WTF are you talking about. They really didn't want to explain, and acted like I was an idiot because I don't know what a DNS redirect means, or whatever. I got so pissed off with them, I demanded my money back. It wasn't easy, it wasn't friendly, it sucked and was a little bit demoralizing. When a place advertises, they need to stand behind it. If it's a bare bones operation, don't advertise like a full service, customer friendly place, and visa versa.

Companies often set themselves up for failure and make the cusomter support job difficult becasue they just try to get cusomters in the door, rather than work hard to get the RIGHT cusomters in the door.

One day, remind me to tell you my fish story. it's perfect for this.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    I've worked in retail and I now work at the front desk of a resort.

They are NOT right. In fact, it bothers me when they come in and try to tell you how to do your job. Like they know more about it. I'm always like "fine, if you know more, then you can do it yourself!"
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    I owned my own business for a while. I had a higher-end business that catered more to people with money. What I learned about all this is that often there is a mis-match between what a company offers, and the expectations of the customers.

Why? Salesmen seem to open that gap.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I owned my own business for a while. I had a higher-end business that catered more to people with money. What I learned about all this is that often there is a mis-match between what a company offers, and the expectations of the customers.

Why? Salesmen seem to open that gap.

That's what I said. What businesses should focus on is closing that gap. The more narrow your market, counter to popular belief, the better off your business is.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Amen. To all of this. I work in retail. Some people... >.<
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have worked in retail also and thought they were bad

then I got into the broadband business...lol boy was i wrong about retail..lol
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    -
  • taylor5877
    Options
    It's a small part of my job, and not the one that pays the bills, so I refuse to sell stuff to customers that will be of no use.

There are enough horror stories about the water treatment business without another one of us harassing someone or selling them some equipment that has no scientific merit.
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    HA! That statement is equal to saying "I'm a prick and don't give a *kitten* what you say. Give me what I want."
    I work at a help desk for IT... If they are an idiot, I make sure they realize it. Worried about losing customers? Nope. This is the military haha! I'm all they've got!
  • brenpope
    brenpope Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    unfortunately they are always right, even when they are wrong :) That's a hard thing to take, especially when you do what I do for a living, decorating cakes. Some people can be really picky, but they have a right to.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    swing.jpg
  • mysilentundoingx
    Options
    Remember, the customer is always right... (Except when they are wrong, which is ALWAYS)
    I've worked in retail since leaving Sixth Form and it's made me lose all faith in humanity...
  • taylor5877
    Options
    I think for crimes requiring community service, they should make them work the return counter at walmart on Dec. 26th until service time is up.