having surgery what should I eat after....

Options
I'm having neck surgery in 2 weeks and I'm wondering if anyone can help with what I should be eating afterwards...... I won't be able to do alot right off the bat and I'm single so I actually don't do alot of cooking anyway. So any help would be great!

Replies

• emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would get some Lean Cuisines watch the sodium count, at least under 700gm. Get some fruit, salad mix and dressing (check the lable) maybe some Morning Star Chicken patties or sausage links. You might want to get all your shopping in before that. Hope this helps some :flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine can be really high in sodium. I get Healthy Choice (especially the cafe steamers), most of which are 500 sodium or less. Also get yourself a case of Ensure. It's delicious & nutritious!
  • krisolso
    krisolso Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the type of neck surgery you are having. If it is a discectomy you could eat normal. However, if you have a neck dissection the doctor will prescribe what kind of diet he/she wants you on in order to swallow easily. If you can eat normal meals I would recommend making meals you like ahead of time and freezing them; or try going to a food place where you can pick up premade meals with the calorie count listed. Good luck with your surgery!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    You could make a big pot of soup or a big casserole before your surgery and freeze it in individual portions. Also, a lot of chinese restaurants offer steamed chicken or shrimp with steamed veggies. At the places I've gone, the portions are big enough to make 2 or 3 meals. Those little cups of jello and sugar free pudding will probably be your friends too.