Confused about calorie intake, don't feel it's enough.

Options
13»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    just set a lower target weight loss if it's too low for you, and/or increase your activity level.

I think 1200 can be a bad number, as it's high enough to stall some and the maths goes a bit wrong for small folks.

I agree. If you're not happy, go to half pound a week. And eat those exercise calories!

I would also use your calories wisely. A few nuts or other high protein snack will help you feel less hungry. Trying to keep my carb calories under 50% has also helped me feel less hungry.

Read your diary carefully. What are the big calorie items you can drop? I wound up dropping sugar, cake, cookies, bread, and rice. And now it's actually hard for me to hit my 1300 and I often net way lower, even though I only walk for exercise.

You might also switch from beer to something with fewer calories.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    just set a lower target weight loss if it's too low for you, and/or increase your activity level.

I think 1200 can be a bad number, as it's high enough to stall some and the maths goes a bit wrong for small folks.

I agree. If you're not happy, go to half pound a week. And eat those exercise calories!

I would also use your calories wisely. A few nuts or other high protein snack will help you feel less hungry. Trying to keep my carb calories under 50% has also helped me feel less hungry.

Read your diary carefully. What are the big calorie items you can drop? I wound up dropping sugar, cake, cookies, bread, and rice. And now it's actually hard for me to hit my 1300 and I often net way lower, even though I only walk for exercise.

The thing with the beer or really any alcoholic beverage is, it never just stops at one with me, so no matter WHAT I switch to, I'll just end up drinking enough to where it doesn't really matter anyway that I switched. Well, not all the time, but when I go out, I go out, it's not just a 1 or 2 at dinner with a friend type deal.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Girl.. I totally get the drinking thing. I am definitely NOT an alcoholic, but I do binge drink. There's a country song called "The more I drink" and it is me to a damn T!
    I do the whole pool thing on the weekend & just fill myself up with water first. I went to a concert the other night & I only had 2 shots and 1.5 beers. I thought I was going to throw the shots up.

You just have to keep telling yourself it isn't worth it. If you can't have just one (or three)... then don't have any at all. When your clothes start fitting better & you feel amazing, you will say F U to booze :)

I'm almost to that exact point!

Thanks! I'm glad someone else gets it. When I talk about it, I feel like people think I'm an alcoholic. I go all week and don't drink till Friday night and Saturday night but it's just WHEN I do, it doesn't really stop, haha. I love that song that you mentioned by the way! My biggest down falls are concerts, sporting events. I went to Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan last Thursday and did pretty good, I think. BUT then I went to the Reds game the next day and had 4 beers there, which for me, only 4 is good but when coupled with having just drank the night before, not so great on the body.

Thanks for the input and help!! :)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and subract 20%. This has really been working for me. Try this site...

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I wasnt losing on 1200 either. I hope this helps!

Doing this, I came to about 1776.

My friend has a desk job, she was eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight. She bumped it up to 1800 + eating back exercise calories, she started losing 1 lb a week after that. She is 5'1" and 135lbs. She also has a desk job so I would recommend trying this.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and subract 20%. This has really been working for me. Try this site...

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I wasnt losing on 1200 either. I hope this helps!

Doing this, I came to about 1776.

My friend has a desk job, she was eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight. She bumped it up to 1800 + eating back exercise calories, she started losing 1 lb a week after that. She is 5'1" and 135lbs. She also has a desk job so I would recommend trying this.

Thanks so much!! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

The thing with the beer or really any alcoholic beverage is, it never just stops at one with me, so no matter WHAT I switch to, I'll just end up drinking enough to where it doesn't really matter anyway that I switched. Well, not all the time, but when I go out, I go out, it's not just a 1 or 2 at dinner with a friend type deal.

Well at some point it comes down to, whats more important, the body or the beer. I see it all the time, especially with women, that can cut fat due to alcohol comsumption. Its a toxin that your metabolsim to slow down for in order to eliminate the toxin from the body. And when you eat, you increase the chance of those calories turning to fat.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options

Well at some point it comes down to, whats more important, the body or the beer. I see it all the time, especially with women, that can cut fat due to alcohol comsumption. Its a toxin that your metabolsim to slow down for in order to eliminate the toxin from the body. And when you eat, you increase the chance of those calories turning to fat.

I'd rather instead of cutting it out completely, just finally grow out of my "20's" lifestyle of party, party, party and do things in moderation. But I'm still young and in completely normal body weight average for someone my age and height so I'm just going to be more healthy about it, do it in moderation and not look back 15 years from now and be like, "wow, I really wish I had done that or this.. but I didn't..because I was dieting.."