If anyone wants to weight-train but can't afford gyms..

Options
..or home equipment, I have started a group that was inspired by my reading the book "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. Wow, I am so pumped about it, literally:laugh: and it also is full of guidance on every, healthy aspect of losing fat, gaining muscle and becoming the best you can be, all w/o gyms or equipment.

I know some will only want to use it as a supplemental program but it may be others like myself, will use it for their EVERYTHING:drinker: :drinker:

PS the book can be bought of course but also, I checked w/the library and it is available to check out. You can even download it, from the library onto your pc, NOOK, or Kindle.

This programs goes right along with the mfp setup although you may want to customize your settings. One step at a time though:) There are many things I like about this book(only into it 6 chapters so far though)but one is the short amount of time for workouts rather than hours in the gym. Many people need to work out whenever they can and at intervals. This allows you to workout anywhere you want and has 125 exercises you can actually do only using your own bodyweight, no gadgets of any kind. I've done pushups today, lunges, situps and squats, so far.

There is some startling information on aerobics and even a statement by the Cardiologist that coined the word, or first used it. Lots of static over this I'll bet but this is only for those that feel in their gut, like I did, it is dead on!! I figure also if it works for our special ops(which Mark has trained over 700)it will work for me. Only worry I have is "will I just do it" :laugh: :drinker: :drinker: denise

Replies

• Chetanpayne
    Options
    where is the group, I would like to join! I workout at home. I do have a small gym...well ,if a tread mill and some hand weights is considered a gym! :glasses:

But I am very interested in sharing my tips and learning some too!
    Let me know where to go to see or sign up for the group.
    Hugs,
    Chetan
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    cliff notes? That's too much to read. Are you suggesting buying a book to learn about body weight exercises?
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Chetan!! Just go under "Groups" above and it's called "Hooya" Give Me More!! So glad to have you and yes, lots of people just incorporate Mark's info into their established programs. He doesn't say anything about not using weights, he does give a lot of info on how you don't have to though;)

hugs, and dreaming of Italy!!! Denise
    where is the group, I would like to join! I workout at home. I do have a small gym...well ,if a tread mill and some hand weights is considered a gym! :glasses:

But I am very interested in sharing my tips and learning some too!
    Let me know where to go to see or sign up for the group.
    Hugs,
    Chetan
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Only for those that don't know about them and specific exercises that will cover your entire muscular system. And no, you need to read again, I also mention on the book being free to check out from a library.

Denise:drinker: :drinker:

PS I think most people know also that there is plenty of info on bodyweight exercises online. I just happen to be inspired by Mark Laurens story and it wasn't too much for me to read because for me, it is was a great read.
    cliff notes? That's too much to read. Are you suggesting buying a book to learn about body weight exercises?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Only for those that don't know about them and specific exercises that will cover your entire muscular system. And no, you need to read again, I also mention on the book being free to check out from a library.

I just can't imagine a whole book dedicated to it. I can hit every muscle in my body in under 20 exercises......different strokes for different folks. If you enjoy it that's really all that matters. :drinker:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    That's great because I think it is an awesome way to go, in fact, for myself, it is THE way to go:) Best of luck to you and I'm sure you would be a great asset to our group. No one has to read the book or even like it to join the group. Just an interest in using bodyweight rather than machines/gyms etc.
    Denise

I just can't imagine a whole book dedicated to it. I can hit every muscle in my body in under 20 exercises......different strokes for different folks. If you enjoy it that's really all that matters. :drinker:
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options

The "You Are Your Own Gym" book is more about variations of body weight exercises and transitions to work the muscles more (or less) using your body weight and your body as leverage.

I think most people can hit every muscle in the body by doing a number of different workouts and/or DVD's etc. This book is dedicated to strength training primarily using body weight. If you look up YAYOG on YouTube you will see a few of the types of exercises that are in the book. The progressions are where the main difference is. You can progress from a more moderate push up (knees on the ground) to a harder (classic push up) to push up with legs raised to a one armed push up, to planche push ups to hand-stand push ups etc.

The shortcut to reading the book is the phone app which has all the exercises, pictures, the four levels of workouts and almost as much information as the book itself.
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been working out at home since last April...it was a chore to drive 20 min to the gym and rush through a workout..thankfully, a friend pointed me in the direction of Chalene johnson and I started doing CHALEAN EXTREME, then TURBOFIRE and now I'm doing CATHE FRIEDRICH's STS... I love to workout at home.. So convenient ...if I could just get my eating habits under control :/