High Intensity / Low impact work out

Options
So I am still in the beginnig part of my weight loss journey. I am looking for a DVD that is high intensity and low impact. I walk two miles a day. But I want to start incorporating something different. Something challenging that will really get the weight loss going.

Any ideas?

I just dont want to hurt my joints or anything like that since I havent lost a significant amount of weight yet.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    You create your intensity. Want to make walking more intense? Walk faster or walk uphill at the same speed you walk flat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Can you try out cycling? It's as intense as you want it to be, and is very low impact.
  • slc3568
    slc3568 Posts: 15
    Options
    I don't have any DVD recommendations but if you have access to a pool, swimming and water jogging can be high intensity and are definitely low impact.
  • mandorla
    mandorla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great question, I look forward to seeing what replies you receive.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Have you ever done Leslie Sansone's DVD's before? I love her Walk Away the Pounds set. Even though you already walk, this does other moves too, like knee lifts, side steps, arm motions, different things to get your heart rate up. Also, if you have access to a pool, swimming or water aerobics is a great workout.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    So I am still in the beginnig part of my weight loss journey. I am looking for a DVD that is high intensity and low impact. I walk two miles a day. But I want to start incorporating something different. Something challenging that will really get the weight loss going.

Any ideas?

I just dont want to hurt my joints or anything like that since I havent lost a significant amount of weight yet.

Swim. Walk on hilly terrain. Add in short bursts of running to your walks.

You decide the intensity.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to follow the responses as well. Great ones so far. I'm just gathering ideas for effective HIIT, that is knee friendly, so I can accomplish the high intensity part effectively.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would label them HIGH intensity, but they are higher than walking. . . you might want to take a look at some of the 10 Minute Solution workouts. You can mix and match to form your own workouts to the amount of time that you need or want. I also really like Billy Blanks Jr workouts. And you could try some TaeBo, and just modify anything he does that is higher impact, like jumping jacks.
  • paperducks
    Options
    I literally JUST started Jackie Warner's 30 Day Fast Start dvd and it's amazing! There isn't any jumping or bouncing around. She just focuses on working those muscles through a pyramid workout. Jillian Michaels' videos are great, but her 30DS involves movements that bothered my knees just a bit.

Also, any yoga/pilates dvd would probably be great to have as well. The stretching that those exercises provide are extremely important when you're working your muscles :smile:
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have to do low impact stuff as I have bad knees.

The Turbo Jam DVD's always have someone to follow that is doing the excercise as low impact and I have been able to mix it up a little bit over time to do some moves as higher intensity/impact and the ones I need to as low impact. I like the Dance Party ones especially as you can get your own groove on. As someone else also said, the Leslie Sansome Walking Away the Pounds are good too for low impact but get the whole body moving. I have several of them and mix them up.

Good luck
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michael's yoga meltdown and Jackie Warners Xtreme time saver DVD. They are good workouts without any jumping.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Head to the local library and see what they have. I usually test drive my workout DVDs this way.
  • myrydythg
    Options
    how about the dancing to the oldies or zumba dvds they fun!
  • mskatee
    mskatee Posts: 33
    Options
    I second the Beach Body Turbo Jam recommendation. I did those when I had a knee injury and couldn't jump at all and they gave really good cardio. Also I grew to love the instructor, Chalene. She is really encouraging! I also liked being able to just do it at home, whenever, without having to leave the house or get to a class or a gym. Good luck! :wink:
  • angie6171
    angie6171 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love extreme makeover weight loss DVD!