Fighting with my carbs

Options
2 weeks in, 8 pounds off. So far, so good (6 off the first week which I know is mostly water).

I have been logging faithfully and as always I see/know where my problem lies or will lie in the future.

I love bread, rolls, bagels, flatbreads, naans, pitas, you get the general picture. MFP has my levels set at 55% carbs and without trying, I find I am right up there most days. If I don't get my carb levels up to those levels, I find my calories are way under and I'm hungry. I'm supposed to be on 2400 kcal a day.

So, I'd like suggestions or ideas on how to reduce the carbs but still get the calories in.

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein

and fat
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    birds are tasty.
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    2 weeks in, 8 pounds off. So far, so good (6 off the first week which I know is mostly water).

I have been logging faithfully and as always I see/know where my problem lies or will lie in the future.

I love bread, rolls, bagels, flatbreads, naans, pitas, you get the general picture. MFP has my levels set at 55% carbs and without trying, I find I am right up there most days. If I don't get my carb levels up to those levels, I find my calories are way under and I'm hungry. I'm supposed to be on 2400 kcal a day.

So, I'd like suggestions or ideas on how to reduce the carbs but still get the calories in.

MFP kinda guesses on these levels. i did a genetic test to find out where my carb/fat/protein ratio should fall. for me its 55carb/25fat/20protein is the best ratio for weight loss for me. ive found its easy to still eat some whole wheat bread or wheat tortillas, fruit, vegetables, etc and maintain that ratio. make sure you are avoiding all the processed grains. only whole grain carbs and carbs from plants, etc.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    ditto--protein is the answer.

The more carbs you eat the more your body wants and it seems your body is never satisfied with carbs. Protein will help you reach a place where you feel full and satisfied. May not happen overnight as your body will continue to scream for carbs. My personal opinion is that MFP sets the carb % too high, and the protein % too low for most people to be successful at weight loss. I'm not saying you need to go drastically low on carbs, but I find that my body runs better on fewer carbs and more protein.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

MFP kinda guesses on these levels. i did a genetic test to find out where my carb/fat/protein ratio should fall. for me its 55carb/25fat/20protein is the best ratio for weight loss for me. ive found its easy to still eat some whole wheat bread or wheat tortillas, fruit, vegetables, etc and maintain that ratio. make sure you are avoiding all the processed grains. only whole grain carbs and carbs from plants, etc.

a genetic test huh? What's involved in this? Sounds amazing.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Protein fills you up and gives you long, sustainable energy. Healthy fats keep you satisfied as well. Carbs are fine, as long as they're complex (think whole grains) and not simple (think white bread, pasta, junk food, etc.). Carbs give your body short bursts of energy, so when combined with a high protein diet, they help you beat that 2 PM slump.

Replace some of your carbs with lean protein and that should do the trick.

I know other posters said this, but I had to throw my two cents in.
  • Eagles802051
    Eagles802051 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yeah just like everyone else said... protein. Makes you feel full and is good for ya. Especially if you weight train you'll want protein high
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Those are just default levels. There are all different phenotypes. For instance, I thrive best on 30% carbs, 25% protein, and 45% fat. Since fat is 9 calories per gram, it's easy for me to reach and stay near my calorie target while staying sated.
  • ciobair
    ciobair Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks for all the input.

Can I ask for some practical suggestions of ways for a middle aged guy to get lean protein into his diet (hoping and praying that there are alternatives to those protein powders I've been reading about).
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    ditto--protein is the answer.

The more carbs you eat the more your body wants and it seems your body is never satisfied with carbs. Protein will help you reach a place where you feel full and satisfied. May not happen overnight as your body will continue to scream for carbs. My personal opinion is that MFP sets the carb % too high, and the protein % too low for most people to be successful at weight loss. I'm not saying you need to go drastically low on carbs, but I find that my body runs better on fewer carbs and more protein.

You didn't answer the question.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm a middle-aged gal whose protein macros a couple of months ago were pitiful. Today mine was 143 without supplements I might add.

Chicken breasts
    Tuna
    Cottage cheese
    Eggs
    Milk
    Salmon

Yep, that pretty much covers it. Hope that helps.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

Can I ask for some practical suggestions of ways for a middle aged guy to get lean protein into his diet (hoping and praying that there are alternatives to those protein powders I've been reading about).

eye would start bye eating chicken breasts, protein powder, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. Their all good options.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

Those are just default levels. There are all different phenotypes. For instance, I thrive best on 30% carbs, 25% protein, and 45% fat. Since fat is 9 calories per gram, it's easy for me to reach and stay near my calorie target while staying sated.

Ewe are a special snowflake
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Ewe are a special snowflake

No doubt. I was raised by wolves.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Try eating more fats, like nut butters and healthy oils. You don't have to eat much fat to get a whole lot of calories. Also try adding in fatty fish and whole dairy products like cheese and yogurt to see if that doesn't push your non-carb calorie counts up a bit.

When I'm hungry and need snack to carry me through, I have 1/4 cup of almonds. It's 180 calories, high in healthy fats and low in carbs.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Lean meat of any kind (fish, poultry, beef, pork)
    Legumes and beans
    Greek yogurt
    Nuts
    Eggs and dairy

There's all sorts of goodies out there.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Chicken breast, eggs, skim milk, fat free greek yogurt, low fat cheese, fish
  • donniesgirrl
    Options
    I'm trying to eat lower carbs, too, because my husband is diabetic (and has to watch his carbs) & we are trying to reorient how we eat.

One of my favorite low carb meals is tuna salad on cucumber slices. For the mayo, though, I use half lowfat Greek yogurt instead of all mayo. And then I add in some chopped water chestnuts, green onions, and capers for filler. I read about using cucumber slices as "crackers" on another board & I think it's brilliant. They are low carb & filling bulk.

I also try to do salads once a day with protein (like chicken) and some sunflower seeds and almond slices, and then I'll portion out my salad dressing. Today's lunch was lettuce, sprouts, mandarin oranges (packed in fruit juice but drained & carefully portioned out), cashews (as the fat), and Newman's reduced fat Asian dressing. It was a bit of a splurge on carbs for me at 41g - I'm trying to stay closer to 30g per meal.

For breakfast, I've been doing a scramble lately, of one egg, 1/4 cup of egg whites, 1/4 cup whole milk, one tablespoon Parmesan, one tablespoon salsa, one teaspoon butter (for fat). I'll put in some spinach sometimes too. I'll have it with a homemade iced coffee that is 1/4 cup of whole milk and the rest is coffee. Occasionally I'll add a small piece of fruit. It keeps me satisfied til snack time.

This week for one of my snacks, I am doing some portioned out slices of pepperoni, a dill pickle sliver, and a cheddar snack stick.

I am not a big fan of protein powder...plus most of the ways I know to eat it involve adding carbs like fruit. :) Hope that helps.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I manage to get over 100g of protein per day eating wild alaskan salmon(you can buy frozen fillets usually) at about 22-25g per fillet, cottage cheese, Greek Yoghurt, Eggs, Tuna Steaks, Beans, Feta/Goats Cheese(fine in moderation) and peanut flour (which I stir into greek yoghurt with some stevia, instead of using protein powder). You can also, if you want to venture there, get some from sprouted breads(which are much tastier than regular bread imo), nuts, seeds and the like.

If a meat eater, chicken is great too. I just don't eat meat, pescetarian here.