Who drinks Coke Zero on the regular? Who has given it up?

Options

Replies

• leopardjunkie
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of coke zero tried it the other day and i didn"t finish it. I am not huge on subsittutes and the taste difference does not do it for me. But i have cut my "coke habit" from 1 liter or more a day to 1 small 7.5 oz in the am and 1 12 oz in the evening and the rare occasion a fountain drink with meal. When I want the bubbles but not the calories I drink Sparkling ice Black raspberry falvored sparkling spring water. It is the only zero cal drink i like to drink with bubbles :) i am big on taste I wish I could get past it.
  • jww885
    jww885 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just bought a case of Zero coke this afternoon. Now the cases come in 18 cans. :) I drink this beverage from time to time but generally no more than two cans per day up to a maximum of 6 or 7 per week. While I enjoy its taste Zero coke has not replaced my first two preferences of bottled water (also zero calories) or 1% milk which is expensive calories wise (220 calories for an 8 oz glass).
  • charghetti
    charghetti Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im totally addicted! It is not the best for us, obviously, but it is better then having a regular and having the 150 calories per can! I am totally addicted to the Cherry Coke Zero sincei just discovered it this weekend at Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I honestly believe that cutting out the soda calories has helped me to lose my weight... i still splurge here and there and have a Dr. Peper or a Mt Dew... but for the most part it is Coke Zero to the rescue :smile:
  • karen91967
    karen91967 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3-4 cans of diet coke a day- I didn't give it up entirely but I now only have 1 can every 1-2 weeks! I thought I was addicted and would have a hard time cutting back so much that I thought I would have withdrawls and not be able to do it!!I actually don't crave it at all now nor do I miss it. I notice since I cut back significantly on the caffeine I sleep so much better and more rested.
  • af1angell0325
    Options
    I probably drink a minimum 6 cans of coke zero a day and I am definitely addicted to the caffeine. I don't like coffee though so it is my only source. At one point I was down to 1 20 oz bottle a day in the morning and I definitely felt better drinking less soda and more water. It's tough but I would like to get back to the 1 a day first thing in the AM again.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    A former Coke Zero fiend here. Gave it up, and all fake sugars (nutrisweet, splenda, sucralose, etc) on June 1, 2012. Lost 5 pounds, feel much better, and never going back to drinking/eating fake sugar. After reading Boost Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels, I swore off fake sugar forever. I've started to love and appreciate plain water.

This^

My addiction was regular Coke. I don't miss it and I will absolutely not put artificial sweeteners in my body, GRAS rated or not. One can do lots of stuff to water to make it taste more "interesting" and there are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of different kinds of teas. I love my coffee, and, for now, the caffeine does not concern me.

It makes me sad when I see so many people who have given up sugar and some artificial sweeteners, but still use Splenda (aka sucralose) and are convinced it's safe because "it's made from sugar" (yup they say exactly what the advertisement says!). I see it in lots of low carb recipes on MFP and even doctors promote it to diabetics (one of many reasons that I don't talk to doctors about nutrition). If I had to answer the question: "what's the most successful marketing campaign (with misinformation) ever?" My answer would be "Splenda". No it isn't just like sugar, adding chlorine makes it nothing like sugar.

Don't take my word for it; there's lots of information on it from a variety of experts. But if you think that there's nothing amiss with our food regulation agencies, and you think it's perfectly safe, HAVE IT. No need to ask everyone's opinion.
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i LOVE it!! But i notice when i dont drink as much my eyes are less puffy the next day. it must be the sodium...
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've given it up entirely. I don't need soda, diet or otherwise. I've heard diet is way worse for you than the regular stuff, and I can believe it. The stuff is addictive, so I've given it up entirely. If I want something to give me energy, I'll have a coffee. I much prefer a nice, homebrewed French press coffee with a tsp of sugar and a bit of cream if I want something sweet anyway.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    zero or Diet, one to two per day
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Soda used to be pretty much all I drank, but once I decided it was time to lose weight and be healthy, it was easy to give it up. I still have it on occasion, but always feel guilty when I do, so probably should stop that. Lol. Plus I have bad teeth, so for that reason alone I shouldn't drink it.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am a coke zero junkie as well. I have tried to give it up and it's just not happening. LOL
  • pdlrussell
    pdlrussell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is the devil! When Aspartame is mixed with your body's chemicals, it turns into formaldehyde. Therefore you are preserving your fat and not shedding it. It is highly addicting and causes people to go into "withdrawals" once they stop drinking it. I have been in Pharmacy for 17 years and it took 7 times of taking this drug to the table before the FDA finally approved it.
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi all :)

I am a coke zero fiend. I usually drink it everyday and I find that it helps me when I'm trying to lose weight as I like to have a glass with of after a meal to make it more satisfying. It helps me in between meals when I start to get cranky and also when I want to avoid alcohol.

I've given it up over periods of a couple weeks to a month when I've tried to 'eat clean.' But I end up missing it so much and giving in to the sweet, acidic hit :/ I've been hooked for years now!

Does anyone else drink it as much as I do?

Has anyone given it up and noticed health/weight improvements?

Can anyone convince me once and for all not to spend $10 a week on a concoction of chemicals?

I do the EXACT same thing as you!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is the devil! When Aspartame is mixed with your body's chemicals, it turns into formaldehyde. Therefore you are preserving your fat and not shedding it. It is highly addicting and causes people to go into "withdrawals" once they stop drinking it. I have been in Pharmacy for 17 years and it took 7 times of taking this drug to the table before the FDA finally approved it.

Yeaaaah. OK, I gotta stop you right there.

Yes, Aspartame metabolizes into methanol and eventually formaldehyde (in extremely small amounts), but so does a ton of other natural foods (and in higher quantities I might add) like citrus fruit and tomatoes. Not to mention how much methanol is created when we imbibe alcohol (far higher). Aspartame has been tested for 3 decades, it's not poison. the human body can process small amounts of formaldehyde without an issue, it's less destructive than many other natural by products that human food creates.

You can find this myth and many others on all the current urban legends websites like snopes.com or urbanlegend.com
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Yeaaaah. OK, I gotta stop you right there.

Yes, Aspartame metabolizes into methanol and eventually formaldehyde (in extremely small amounts), but so does a ton of other natural foods (and in higher quantities I might add) like citrus fruit and tomatoes. Not to mention how much methanol is created when we imbibe alcohol (far higher). Aspartame has been tested for 3 decades, it's not poison. the human body can process small amounts of formaldehyde without an issue, it's less destructive than many other natural by products that human food creates.

You can find this myth and many others on all the current urban legends websites like snopes.com or urbanlegend.com

Yea. This is why I'm such a hardcore skeptic. Good on you for calling out misinformation!
  • bebaile2
    bebaile2 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm trying to sub out Coke Zero/Diet Coke with iced coffee, but I haven't given it up yet. Harris Teeter had a huge sale on Coke products the other day, so I gave in. I feel like as long as I'm not drinking the normal cans of coke (which I use to drink *at least* two of a day) I'm doing alright and saving myself a minimum of 260 cals/day.

Plus, I am sparing everyone around me from what I'm like when I'm without my morning caffeine. :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    We can debate the conspiracy theories all day long but I know that Aspartame gives me headaches.

I have it once a week, I used to be a daily consumer, not now.

And I certainly hate myself for letting my 7yo daughter have a taste in the past.

Sorry, but it's #@$%ing evil.
  • Leanalgreen
    Leanalgreen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can't dig up all the research right now because I'm on my phone, but the studies are out there. Many say that diet sodas are actually worse for you than regula

The addiction cones from caffeine, which I'm a huge fan of, but I will be giving that up too for better overall health. The one thing I can tell you with certainty is thst I was eating right and working out extremely hard for well over a month while drinking coke zero and did.not lose a pound. As soon as I stopped I started losing weight without a problem.
  • Leanalgreen
    Leanalgreen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What this really comes down to is what your goals really are. Are you someone who needs to lose weight or get healthier? If you are you absolutely need to decide that you will do any and everything to make yourself better. That means cut out everything that you know you shouldn't be doing and learning ways to enjoy the things you should

If you are happy and healthy then there probably isn't any harm in an occassional soda or cheat meal.

What do you really want out of life? Don't half butt your goals and dreams.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I can't dig up all the research right now because I'm on my phone, but the studies are out there. Many say that diet sodas are actually worse for you than regula
    Please do dig them out when you get a chance - as a regular 'user' I'd be interested to see some good research on this are.
    That means cut out everything that you know you shouldn't be doing and learning ways to enjoy the things you should
    Indeed - for me that meant drinking coke zero rather than normal coke :).