what can you use besides salad dressing on salads?

Options

Replies

• achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Avocado, and lime.
  • akaBean7
    akaBean7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Balsamic Vinegar + Olive Oil. Simple and full of flavor!
  • SuperSteph81
    SuperSteph81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i have also used fresh lemon juice. It's very refreshing during the summer and is great on a spinach salad
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Balsalmic vinegar, raspberry vinegar (NOT vinagerette), lemon, lime, greek yogurt...sometimes the salad is so yummy I don't even have dressing!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I use salsa!!! very yummy

^I do this! I also take romaine lettuce and add lots of fruits like blueberries, strawberries, apples, kiwi, mandarin oranges etc. Sweet enough on it's own, so it needs no dressing! YUMMY!!
  • argenterie
    argenterie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I add SALSA!

And, my FAVORITE discovery, is to add Ranch Dressing Mix (the powder) to some 0% greek yogurt, whisked with some water to make it more watery (runny). IT IS A MIRACLE and tastes just like Ranch dressing, but has like 22 calories!!! Love IT!
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I use salsa!!! very yummy

Me too....I love salsa on my salad!
  • thedougvelez
    thedougvelez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I supplement my salad dressings with "bone broth" - I know, it sounds horrible, huh? My Naturopath taught me to save my chicken bones and put them in the slow cooker with enough water to cover them and about 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Slow cook them for about 8 - 12 hours. The acid in the vinegar will leach the calcium out of the bones as well as the building blocks for the cartilage. The bones are done when you can crush them between your fingers - and it's because all their calcium will now be in the broth. The resulting broth will be all but tasteless, but it will contain some of the most bio-available calcium and glucosamine that you can get... for free. Freeze what you can't use right away. What you store in the fridge will thicken up into a jelly like substance - and that's due to all the things your body can use to make new cartilage!

Back to the salad dressing - most salad dressings have a lot of flavor and the amount you "need" to use is just to get a coating on the salad, so if you add some of the broth, you can use less dressing and substitute something that is almost calorie free has important nutrients.
  • Veronikitta
    Options
    I use Salsa too, (but I don't omit the dressing I must admit! you can even use mild if you don't like spicy food.
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    a tablespoon or two of greek yogurt and some apple cider vinegar.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice
    Rice vinegar mixed with a tiny bit of flavoring or olive oil

Try eating the greens unadorned. If they're fresh, they'll be tasty.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    using salsa as dressing is a great alternative. low cal and full of flavor!

I realize this is supposed to be about salad, but just had to add that salsa is also a great fat-free topping for baked potato. Just sayin.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese or a oil and vinagar
  • Circuslife5
    Options
    I mix salsa and avocado together and mix it all together in my salad. You could also use olive oil&vinegar. Good luck!
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Great ideas think I'm going to try some of these ideas
  • Chaneyb83
    Chaneyb83 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just use mandarin oranges. They get the greens wet and add lots if good flavor. I also use sunflower kernals just because they taste good together ;)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    OOOh Stirfired veggies with something saucy that makes it a little liquidy, like tomato.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Avocado, and lime.

YES!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    this is all very philosophical because the moment you put anything on top of your salad, it becomes salad dressing.

that was my thought exactly LOL.

Just make you're own and regulate how much you use.

Fat in and of itself is fine and delicious- so don't get scared of it.

Secondly- used minced garlic- or smash your own- and toss it in to a bottle of olive oil- add some vinegar- and boom- delicious dressing on Greek/Moroccan light salads.

So effing good.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    would like to know what you use on my salads .besides salad dressing that full of fat
    thank you

Olive oil and salt.