Intermittent Fasting (5:2 fast)

Options
OK, so after seeing soooo many people go on about intermittent fasting recently and say how good it has been for them I decided to look into the different kinds for myself. Having had a good look around I have decided to give the 5:2 fast a go, whereby you eat what you want for 5 days in the week and for the other two days you eat 500 cals (600 if you're a boy). It sounds like a great way to get the metabolism going and to help break me out of this plateau. Strength training is a must on this so I've redone my strength workout plan and am going to start tomorrow (Tuesdays and Thursdays are apparently the best days to fast).

I know IF isn't for everybody but I was just wondering what experiences other people have had with it?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    IF is a preferable diet for some people to space their meals, most often because it helps some with appetite control. There is no proof of any metabolic advantage.
  • TheLittleVoice91
    Options
    sounds good but i thought fasting is when you dont eat? and do you actually lose weight on this?
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    (Tuesdays and Thursdays are apparently the best days to fast).

Just had to ask about this...? Your body doesn't know or care what day of the week it is. Fast whatever days are best for your schedule.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the 5:2 fast, but I follow Lean Gains (fast 16 hours, eat 8 hours), and from the different intermittent fasting plans I've seen it seems the most practical, easiest to follow, and I've seen some great results from it (by myself and others). Go to LeanGains.com for more info -- I'd probably recommend doing it but if the 5:2 plan fits you better, go with that.
  • vicyvix
    vicyvix Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    In the UK, recently there was a programme called 'eat, fast and live longer' and it was all about the health benefits on fasting. Michael Mosley did a 5:2 intermittent fasting like you've mentioned and it gave him some fantastic health benefits including lower LDL cholesterol, higher HDL cholesterol (the good stuff), lower blood pressure and more consistent blood sugar levels.

Have a read of the review on the BBC homepage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

Its probably best to see the doctor before you start it because it can be dangerous for some people, like if you're diabetic or pregnant, but if you get a yes, I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go!
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who fasted for one day per week eating 500-1000 calories, and it helped her with her diabetes and blood sugar stabilization. I haven't seen the UK special yet, but I have looked at various forms of IF over the last 6 months. I am thinking of trying it out - starting with a 1 day weekly fast day and progressing to 2 days.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you want to watch the documentary, it's here -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM
  • littlejobo120
    littlejobo120 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    (Tuesdays and Thursdays are apparently the best days to fast).

Just had to ask about this...? Your body doesn't know or care what day of the week it is. Fast whatever days are best for your schedule.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the 5:2 fast, but I follow Lean Gains (fast 16 hours, eat 8 hours), and from the different intermittent fasting plans I've seen it seems the most practical, easiest to follow, and I've seen some great results from it (by myself and others). Go to LeanGains.com for more info -- I'd probably recommend doing it but if the 5:2 plan fits you better, go with that.

Sorry, should have specified - the Tuesday/Thursday thing is preferable because of peoples' lifestyles... I know that if I tried to do this on a weekend it would probably end in spectacular failure!
    In the UK, recently there was a programme called 'eat, fast and live longer' and it was all about the health benefits on fasting. Michael Mosley did a 5:2 intermittent fasting like you've mentioned and it gave him some fantastic health benefits including lower LDL cholesterol, higher HDL cholesterol (the good stuff), lower blood pressure and more consistent blood sugar levels.

That's what I was actually reading today - someone in work put me onto the concept of IF a while ago and this article was what actually made me decide to go for it.

and doingitmywaywithasmile - apparently so. If you have a read of the link kindly provided by vicyvix: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549 you'll see the benefits the doctor experienced.

Cheers for all the responses guys xx
  • redheadkirsty
    Options
    Fasting is a good way to lose weight but only if you eat to your full rmr on the non fasted days.
    The last 2 non fasted days I've had I've eaten to far under and that teamed with the fasts stalled my body and I gained 2lb.
    I've realised my mistake and had 2 days eating to my RMR and fasted today and it's dropped back down.

It's a bit of a minefield and it's easy to go wrong as I'm discovering but I'm doing alternate day zero intake fasts.

5:2 or 6:1 is what I'll do to stabilise my weight (once I get there) as fasting really does give noticeable health benefits that I wouldn't want to lose.

I'd advice seeing a doctor though. Fasting can show up unknown health issues. Also wouldn't recommend it for anyone who has experienced an ED where control of the diet is the main point. It can make them get back into an ED because they see the weight loss and think it will continue when it won't if you don't follow the guidelines.
  • broomnic
    broomnic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump, heard about this worth a try !
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i just posted a question as my status about fasting, i'm wondering about eating for 8 hours, then "fasting" for 16 hours? i feel that with my schedule, eating from noon-8pm during the day and "fasting" from 8pm-noon the next day would be best for me as i work 3-11 shifts and i don't eat breakfast anyways (eating in the morning generally makes me sick to my stomach lol) i was wondering, if i tried this, would my weight go wack-o and fluctuate or would i see weight loss? does anyone know a lot about fasting??

my big issue is, i don't strength train...i do cardio. will this affect my results?