Any one quit smoking successfully?...help!

Options

Replies

• KlaMorgan
    KlaMorgan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    hi! im 21 and i started smoking when i was 14. I smoked for 7 years, and abou the last 4 years it was at least a pack a day, sometimes 2. I didnt want to quit i was fine, it stopped me from eating more.... then a family friend went into the hospital for a stroke. i went to visit one day and asked the doctor what was being pumped out of her (it was thick and a dark brown color).. the doctor told me it was being pumped from her lungs and it was caused from smoking. i threw out my cigarettes as soon as i got outside the hospital and i havent thought twice about it. its actually 8 weeks today and i havent had one craving... before that i tried over and over and i would last a few weeks and then start back up. but i was so scared seing the effects up close and personal.
    i feel so much better since quitting, breathing is easier. and i didnt gain weight, i lost it. instead of running out of breath when exersising i could go longer.

GOOD LUCK!
  • BirdieNYC
    BirdieNYC Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for 2 and a half years straight. It's obviously a mental crutch as much a physical addiction, so I attacked it at both angles:

-Physical:
    1- I used commit lozenges, and some gum. Whenever I was severely jonesing and on the brink of lighting up, I would pop one and it gave me my fix. It also helped replace the gratification of lighting up to popping one. I became addicted to the Commits temporarily.
    2- I also started exercising and eating healthier. The last thing you want to do after a long run or 30 min at the gym is light up- gross!

-Mental:
    1- I walked through all the damage it was doing to my lungs. And it helped for sometime. But really, I focused on the vanity (sounds terrible, I know). But I would visualize how my skin would become really dry and saggy and my lungs would be filled with tar.
    2- Then I identified the habit times and spots- after a coffee, when i jump in my car, when I'm out at a bar. And i would really have to work hard to replace a cigarette with a Commit or a piece of fruit.
    3- Also keep a calendar of how many days you've been smoke free!
    4- GET OVER THE FACT THAT YOU'LL GAIN WEIGHT. This was the hardest part- but just accept that it may or may not happen, and that the long-term health you're going to regain is worth every short term inconvenience.

BE STRONG!
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    On Aug 31 this year it will be 8 years since I quit! I did not use patches ( they made me nauseous) or nicotine gum or medication . I did use a website very similar to MFP called quitnet.com . It was VERY helpful! I did set an actual quit date and spent 2 or 3 weeks before my quit date (sept 1) . During those weeks I still smoked but I logged in daily and talked to others and browsed the forums . I started to desire quitting so much that I found my self smoking less and less everyday I went from about 30 cig a day to 3 before It was even my quit date . I quit one day early because my twin nephews were born that day and it would always be easy for me to remember my day ! I used additional stategies message me it you want to know more!
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I quit trying to quit, I just significantly cut back
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    i smoked starting at the age of 12, and smoked 3 packs a day from 18 - 34. I quit 14 months ago. Honestly, i can say that i tried SEVERAL times. and when you want it bad enough, you will do it. You just have to lay them down & NEVER EVER touch one again. No matter how much your body begs for one. It is a simple (yet not so simple) as that.

Good luck!!
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I quit 11 years ago and never looked back. It's a lot like changing your eating habits! Here's what I wrote about it: http://alicesadventuresaboveground.com/2012/07/22/habits-are-good/

Good luck!!!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Patches, over 10 years ago. Best thing I ever did. My brother and I quit together, we didn't live in the same town but I think it helped us both. Good luck.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I smoked from 1984-1998. I walked out of work one Monday night and lit the last cig in my pack. I either had to get off the bus in a snow storm to buy more or quit. So I quit. It was the only time I ever tried to quit.

I did get off the bus to buy Nicoderm patches. I bought one box (a two week supply) and used them full strength for a week. After that, I cut them in half for two week. And I was done.

I chewed a lot of gum while I was quitting. I also quit on 12/28/98. Three days later I was able to say, "I quit smoking last year." It was a mental trick but it really helped. I also told everybody I knew that I was quitting. I had to quit to save face.

Now I just need to lose the 50 lbs I gained after I quit....
  • fizaguirre
    Options
    I smoked for 10 years. You're probably not going to like this answer too much, but here it goes.

I wanted to get married, my fiancee hated the smoking, so I just stopped.

Was it hard? Oh yeah, I had to stop drinking at the same time since the two went hand-in-hand for me. After the withdrawals went away, I just never picked one up again. It took a conscious effort, and a realization that you have control. Stress, social pressures, depression, they're all just excuses we make because we really don't want to quit, but if you want it bad enough, then you'll just put them down and tell yourself every time you are tempted to buy a pack, or when someone offers, you just say no.

When you say no to others or yourself enough, it'll become a habit that you won't even have to think about after awhile.

That's the best answer I can come up with. The only magic pill is the one between your ears.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for 10 years (age 16-26), I quit in March of 2010 using Wellbutrin. It was a very slow process, but one day I just didn't want to smoke anymore! I started by not smoking inside my apartment anymore, then I stopped taking smoke breaks at work because it was too cold out, then I moved to an apartment only 5 blocks from work so I didn't smoke on my way home. Finally, I realized I was only smoking 2-3 cigarettes a day! The hardest one to give up has been smoking while drinking... But that's not very often. Do I slip up every now and then? Yes. But it's better than smoking a pack and a half on a Saturday night like I used to!!
  • dngortegae
    dngortegae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 10-12 years. I always said I would quit when I was ready to have kids and I did. It was actually easy. I honestly think it was b/c I had told myself of this event/date for so long that my body and mind knew I had to quit at that time. Weird, I know. However, I cannot lie when I say I would not love a cup of coffee or glass of wine with a cigarette, I would. I just don't b/c I am afraid I will start again. It was more of a cold turkey stop. Prior to stopping, I had tried the gum, it never worked and tasted really bad.
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    I quit smoking in 1997. I had been smoking since I was a very young kid, too...and let's just say that was a very long time. My father's diagnosis of tongue cancer helped to sway me in that I really needed to quit. With a friend, we started using the patch. She smoked more than I did so we got a strong patch. It was too strong for me because it would make my arm hurt where it had been placed. I decided, after a week, to forgo the patch and just go cold turkey. Haven't smoked another cigarette since. There are rare times (usually after a REALLY good meal) where I reach for a cigarette in my purse. So it never seems to really leave the body. Strange.
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate that although I was a long term smoker I've never been a heavy smoker. For the last 2 years I stopped bringing them to work and only smoked when I got home. In Feb I got a respiratory infection and wasn't able to tolerate cig smoke so after a week I decided to not pick them up again. It hasn't been too hard, even though I live with a heavy smoker sometimes I get the urge but it passes quickly.

The best advice I heard from a friend who quit was to do it slowly. He used to wake up every morning and light a cig first thing. For 2 weeks he waited an hour before smoking every day. Then, after 2 weeks he waited 2 hours for 2 weeks, then 3 hrs. etc until he was able to quit without shocking his system.

I hope you find the strength to quit...it's honestly the best thing I've done for my body in a long time.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and drinking at the same time (Jan 2011) and dropped 55lbs in 6 months. (not just from that, eating at a calorie deficit and exercising etc too)

If you want to stop you can, doesn't matter who you know that smokes or where you go. Simply tell yourself you no longer smoke and say it every time you want one. After a week or so it's just the habits that will cause you to want to smoke. Don't make excuses or think you can't do it because you can. It's fairly easy ONCE your mind is right.

Don't get patches or gum or eCigs or tablets or any crap designed to help you stop, just quit, cut all ties to smoking and don't look back.

Good luck with it,

Ben.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Quit cold turkey, just make up your mind and find things to keep you busy that won't make you think about it.

I quit 2 weeks before we left for a 1 week cruise. I was so busy with packing and details it got me through the 2 weeks so by the time we got on the ship, the cravings were not bad at all. We stayed soooo busy having fun, I forgot I ever smoked during the trip. The TEST, we came back to more snow than we have seen in many years. As I tried to drive, all I could think is; I need a smoke, omg I need a smoke. i made it through and it will be 2 years in December.
  • JamieAbnowski
    JamieAbnowski Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy smoker for 10+ years. HAPPILY quit cold turkey after reading Alan Carr's EasyWay to Stop Smoking. Read it. I am the happiest ex-smoker you will ever meet!!!! I LOVE being a non-smoker!!!! I feel so much better about myself and know that I will never smoke again. Best $8 I ever spent.
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    Today is 31 days of not smoking. I have smoked since i was 15. So i have smoked for 16 yrs. The only thing that helped me was being ready to quit, and taking chantix. Consult your doctor about the side effects. the only side effect i had was vivid dreams, but none were nightmares.

Good Luck,
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ive been smoking since I was 15, I'm almost 33. I gave up trying to quit along time ago until recently Ive been having the urge to do it again more often, maybe its my age, maybe its the fact Ive read alot of places that after people quit smoking the belly fat seems to come off easier, or maybe its my non smoker boyfriend who just moved in hates the smell, which means I feel like im constantly trying to get the stink off it, maybe its how proud my 7yr old newphew was when i told him I quit. I quit 3 days ago of all places at a bar drinking. Came home put on a patch and I am now a non smoker and don't plan on ever going back.

It hasn't been very long but I feel really confident and its super easy today. First day back to work since quit went through the day easy. It was actually empowering having coworkers come ask me to go out on break and say no, I dont smoke anymore.

I was a pack a day person, and on weekends, 1+ pack.

I am using the patch right now and plan on using it to curb any cravings I get, I'll leave it off for a bit until I get the urge. I also ordered a starter kit of the the vapor cigarettes. My friend swears by them but I am still suspicious I got these so when Im ready to go out to the bar or social gatherings again, I wont be temepted to smoke a real one, I'll have this on hand instead. Im not sure I'll need it after today though guess it all comes down to making your mind up!
  • sweatybettyboop
    sweatybettyboop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :smile:

I am an ex-smoker. I am 47 y/o & started smoking when I was 11, quit smoking for good when I was 31...By the time I quit, I was up to 2 packs a day!!

I tried to cut down, probably a dozen times or more...worked for a bit every time, but then I ended up increasing and I would be smoking heavily in no time.

Cold turkey worked for me. The first week was horrific, then it got better over time. Find activities to keep busy, read, write, paint, clean, etc etc.

I would say it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but I am still trying to figure this weight thing out once and for all.

I remember the first time I smelled lilacs in the spring because my sense of smell was improving - it was wonderful.

The truth of the matter is....sad, but true, I still have a phase here and there when I want a smoke. It correlates with when I am stressed. I also dream that I am smoking when I am stressed and panic when I wake up thinking I blew it and started smoking again, but then I realize it was just a dream and I breathe a big sigh of relief, into my healthy pink lungs :)

Good luck to you - you can do it!! :)

Cheryl