How should I track calories for juicing?

Options
lhergenr
lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to using this site and have seen tracking what I eat daily, which is great. But I haven't been tracking the juice I make with my juicer because I'm not sure how to go about it. Say I make juice with 1 apple, 2 carrots, and a handful of spinach. Should I just track it as if I were eating these things? Somehow that seems inaccurate but I don't know so that's why I'm here!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat them instead of juicing them
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'd guestimate or measure the juice produced by each and use a preloaded approximate.

I'm sure there are listings for all the juice types you are making.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Search the database for "juicer." Lots of entries.
  • lhergenr
    Options
    Search the database for "juicer." Lots of entries.
    I did, and yes there's lots of entries, too many hah. I'd had to sift through quite a bit to find an answer to my question
  • lhergenr
    Options
    OOPS you meant search the food database! Duh! Hah, thank you!!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you have a good masticating juicer you get all of the calories, minus most of the fiber, I would imagine. So I would just log each of the fruit/veg you put in there.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to using this site and have seen tracking what I eat daily, which is great. But I haven't been tracking the juice I make with my juicer because I'm not sure how to go about it. Say I make juice with 1 apple, 2 carrots, and a handful of spinach. Should I just track it as if I were eating these things? Somehow that seems inaccurate but I don't know so that's why I'm here!

I juice as well. I search under "raw juiced" whatever it is.....or search under "juiced apple" There are a select juicer recipes, just hard to fine.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I make juice every day with a masticating juicer. Since I use pretty much the same ingredients each time, I looked up each of the items, totaled the calories & nutrition values, then subtracted the amount of fiber times 4 (# of calories in a gram of fiber) from the total calories, and saved it as a personal food. Does that help?
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

Some people (such as me) don't eat their vegetables/fruits as much as they should. Juicing allows you to get your daily (and more) vegetables and fuits. Such as the mean grean, which consists of 2 green apples, 4 stalks of celery, 4 leaves of kale, a piece of ginger root, a lemon, and a cucumber. Its pretty tasty, and I would never eat this in a day and this all comes in one big drink. :) I love it!
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie in the am for breakfast... I just log the food as if I ate it... that's not right?
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I drink some homemade juices from time to time and just estimate the amount of juice from each fruit/vegetable.

If I drink 24oz of juice and most of it came from carrot juice and the rest from fruit then I put 16oz of juiced carrot and 8oz of juiced apple.
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you have a good masticating juicer you get all of the calories, minus most of the fiber, I would imagine. So I would just log each of the fruit/veg you put in there.

This is what I do every morning.
  • lhergenr
    Options
    I do eat fruits and vegetables but juicing once a day or every other day gives me an extra kick of a bunch of vegetables that I would otherwise not be consuming.

Thanks everyone, several helpful comments
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Some people (such as me) don't eat their vegetables/fruits as much as they should. Juicing allows you to get your daily (and more) vegetables and fuits. Such as the mean grean, which consists of 2 green apples, 4 stalks of celery, 4 leaves of kale, a piece of ginger root, a lemon, and a cucumber. Its pretty tasty, and I would never eat this in a day and this all comes in one big drink. :) I love it!

That sounds great! I juice off and on, too.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I found this website today to help calculate calories for juicing. IDK if it takes into account whether or not you are using the whole fruit with pulp or not but it at least can give you the total calories for you juice.

http://myphytos.com/build