Who knew "aerobics" aren't the best for cardio?

Options

Replies

• Selfmadepsyche
    Selfmadepsyche Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have always hated aerobics of any form. So boring. I do all strength training. In any case, muscle looks better than fat, and more muscle burns more fat, so win/win!
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, cardio is therapy. i love long walks, steady jogs and brisk runs. it keeps me sane. i will say that when i added strength training this year, i toned up A LOT!!

I agree with you on this one.. If I didn't do martial arts twice a week I'd go nuts.. it's my outlet. I do weights at home but going to the studio and kicking people around is awesome.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    The theory I've heard before is that doing moderate cardio eventually will make your body 'get used to it' and therefore you won't keep getting the same benefit. If you look at my before pics in my profile, you can clearly see what I was doing was NOT working for me anymore! I then started ChaLEAN Extreme, which is primarily weight lifting (3 workouts per week lifting weights, one interval workout per week and one HIIT workout per week) and got incredible results (they're my 'after' pix). I'm a believer in weight lifting now but do need to keep my heart and lungs strong and my stamina up. From what I know, the trends have shifted from moderate cardio (say 45 mins on the treadmill or elliptical and not reaching your rate of perceived exertion) to HIIT (short intense intervals followed by recovery periods of less intense cardio) so that you're near your rate of perceived exertion and therefore it makes your heart and lungs stronger and keeps your metabolism guessing. I buy into all of this b/c it's working for me and i'm in the best shape of my life at 40...
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I seem to be in a minority here - I love waking, running , swimming and bikeriding and I don't get off on sitting still just pushing a heavy weight backwards and forwards lol. Each to their own and i may change but at the moment I'm very happy to swim 70 lengths or go for a run in the woods and see foxes and deer :-)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you much and I "know" nothing for sure but I am reading a book by an instructor for our Special Ops Teams, Mark Lauren. The book title was given to me by a gal here. It's called You Are Your Own Gym. It's about using our own body for weight-training to build muscle and get rid of fat. I was searching because I can't afford a gym or equipment for home. I also will not have time when school starts to spend on cardio, weight lifting blablabla. So I find out 20 minutes a day, 5 times a week will get me there, fit. I figure if it works for Navy SEALs and other special ops then why wouldn't it work for me. The author says no matter the weight or age he has levels for all to start at.

The book is online, ebook or hardcopy, and even better, it's in the libraries because I called to see if people who couldn't afford to buy the dang book could get hold of it, yes, they can!

I started a group here too so join us if you like. There is a guy that's coming through his 9th week of 10 and he is going to have photos for us.

I will say I agree with your guy at the gym because it sounds to me like he is right with the sources I've been reading from. I mean really, the cardiologist that came up with the term aerobic says he was wrong and that weight-training will do it all!

Denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Okay, I'm glad you posted this because I spoke with a trainer at my gym today, and of course, he wants me to sign up for 2 sessions at $124. I don't have that to get this information.

Here is what I'm doing right now: 30 minutes of cardio (elliptical, bike, etc) and really getting my heart rate up. Then I do 30 minutes of heavy lifting. And for me, heavy lifting is going as heavy as I can on a machine or free weights, for a minimum of 8 reps, and I do about 3-4 sets.

I only have about an hour a day to spend at the gym because of my kids, and well, life.

The trainer said I need to cut out my cardio and lift more, and lift heavier, and do less reps, and more sets.

I love the endurance I have now. But I have also stopped seeing results. So my questions:

1) how long should I lift for daily (assuming I'm working different muscles every day)?
    2) how long should I spend on a cardio machine?
    3) Is the trainer right? Should I be lifting heavier, less reps (between4-6) with more sets (he mentioned up to 12 sets).

I'd appreciate the help. It would save me $124.00. :smile:
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on 1. What you enjoy and will stick with and 2. What kind of goals you have.

there are many cardio lovers here and many lifting lovers here-both work-just depends on what each person hopes to achieve.

I love this statement ^^^^^^^^^
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    They guy I am following now is a Thai Boxer. I'm not sure if that is like martial arts but hey, if he believes in that then I'm ok with it. I don't think I'll be doing any but if you'd asked me a year ago if I'd be weight training I would have said probably not:laugh: I learn something new every day and I like learning:) denise:drinker: :drinker:
    in my opinion, cardio is therapy. i love long walks, steady jogs and brisk runs. it keeps me sane. i will say that when i added strength training this year, i toned up A LOT!!

I agree with you on this one.. If I didn't do martial arts twice a week I'd go nuts.. it's my outlet. I do weights at home but going to the studio and kicking people around is awesome.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm glad you posted this because I spoke with a trainer at my gym today, and of course, he wants me to sign up for 2 sessions at $124. I don't have that to get this information.

Here is what I'm doing right now: 30 minutes of cardio (elliptical, bike, etc) and really getting my heart rate up. Then I do 30 minutes of heavy lifting. And for me, heavy lifting is going as heavy as I can on a machine or free weights, for a minimum of 8 reps, and I do about 3-4 sets.

I only have about an hour a day to spend at the gym because of my kids, and well, life.

The trainer said I need to cut out my cardio and lift more, and lift heavier, and do less reps, and more sets.

I love the endurance I have now. But I have also stopped seeing results. So my questions:

1) how long should I lift for daily (assuming I'm working different muscles every day)?
    3) Is the trainer right? Should I be lifting heavier, less reps (between4-6) with more sets (he mentioned up to 12 sets).

I'm not a trainer but 12 sets is an awful lot of the same strength exercise. If you're going for lean look, you want to lift heavy enough to fail between 12-15 reps and no more than 2 sets. If you want to actually build a little muscle (you're a girl, you won't bulk up unless you take steroids lol) then you wanna lift heavy enough to fail in 8-10 reps and no more than 2 sets of each exercise. That all being said...I tried weight lifting on my own for years with no luck till I started Chalean Extreme and learned that the order you do these exercises in makes all the difference in the world!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    yes, it's personal choice and for all of us, I hope our choices are the healthiest ones:drinker: :drinker:
    I think it depends on 1. What you enjoy and will stick with and 2. What kind of goals you have.

there are many cardio lovers here and many lifting lovers here-both work-just depends on what each person hopes to achieve.

I love this statement ^^^^^^^^^
  • Selfmadepsyche
    Selfmadepsyche Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've read You Are Your Own Gym too. Good stuff. I'm currently doing the Convict Conditioning program. Love that I don't have to waste time and money on a gym!
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That's great Shelli, I just started that group so please feel welcome to join or stop in for a read. I am going to try a weight program that is just about using my own body-weight. I don't have weights or a gym membership and with this, I don't think I'll need one! We hope;)

denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I have been recommended by several people who really know what they are talking about to do some weight training in order to lose weight and tone up. One is my brother who has been into it for years and is a dietician. Another by a good friend who is a beach body coach. We've been friends since high school, and went to college together, also. Both say the same pretty much. It's a good idea!! I have started to dig out the weights to try out.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    This was a good read, thanks for it. I'm going to check out Chalean Extreme, hadn't heard of it, denise:drinker: :drinker:

I'm not a trainer but 12 sets is an awful lot of the same strength exercise. If you're going for lean look, you want to lift heavy enough to fail between 12-15 reps and no more than 2 sets. If you want to actually build a little muscle (you're a girl, you won't bulk up unless you take steroids lol) then you wanna lift heavy enough to fail in 8-10 reps and no more than 2 sets of each exercise. That all being said...I tried weight lifting on my own for years with no luck till I started Chalean Extreme and learned that the order you do these exercises in makes all the difference in the world!
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That's great Shelli, I just started that group so please feel welcome to join or stop in for a read. I am going to try a weight program that is just about using my own body-weight. I don't have weights or a gym membership and with this, I don't think I'll need one! We hope;)

I have been recommended by several people who really know what they are talking about to do some weight training in order to lose weight and tone up. One is my brother who has been into it for years and is a dietician. Another by a good friend who is a beach body coach. We've been friends since high school, and went to college together, also. Both say the same pretty much. It's a good idea!! I have started to dig out the weights to try out.

There's a great FREE app called 'Fitness Buddy' for your phone - has lots of exercises for weight training using either bodyweight or with weights.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    That's what got my attention. But wow, all that I am learning is so much more then I expected. I honestly just opened the book, at first, and looked for the dang exercises. Then, a bulb went on in my brain and I thought actually "reading" the book may help:laugh: I'll never be sorry I am reading it:) denise:drinker: :drinker: PS I heard about the convict one too and I have seen some guys come out of prison that look like they've been "away at the olympics"!
    I've read You Are Your Own Gym too. Good stuff. I'm currently doing the Convict Conditioning program. Love that I don't have to waste time and money on a gym!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thanks Georgina, I may have to get a smart-phone one day so I can try some of these apps:) Drop by our group, we would love your help with the bodyweight training;) denise:drinker: :drinker:

There's a great FREE app called 'Fitness Buddy' for your phone - has lots of exercises for weight training using either bodyweight or with weights.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to check out that book! :-)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    You may not be a trainer but you do look great!! Denise

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    K, just one more thing though, I agree:laugh:
    WEIGHT TRAINING > CARDIO
    'nuff said
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    You are welcome, it's a good read, not boring, that's for sure;)
    Thanks! I'm going to check out that book! :-)
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love my cardio!!! I will never give it up. They both have their benefits.. I do need to add more lifting into my workout schedule. Cardio is NOT bad for you!