Fruits and Veggies....HELP*

Options
I have been eating tons of fruit and veggies with my meals and making home made everyday. I have not eaten out in two weeks. I lost a lot of weight the first week and a half. but now I am up a pound one day and down a pound the next. I eat between 1200 and 1400 cals a day but see no results..what I do see that is alarming is the sodium intake even in the fresh fruit and veggies. Does any one have any suggestions??

Replies

• wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    are you sure the sodium is in the fresh fruits and vegies? I know home made can have high sodium if you aren't careful. Salsa, spaghetti sauce, pasta, lots of thing have lots of sodium.
    Track your protein and carbs. You really want quite a lot of protein in your diet. Change it up and try more veggies less fruit too. Fresh fruit, any fruit really can have a lot of sugar in it. Yes, natural sugars, but the body turns extra into regular sugar. You should always weight yourself at the same time. It is normal to fluxuate, you are looking for a slow gradual downward average.
    For me having less carbs later in the day rather than earlier and making sure they are healthy grains has helped. I always start with oat revolution! Yummy!
    Good luck. Don't give up! It is a gradual change. You may notice no change one week and 2 lbs the next! It will happen!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Your sodium must be coming from somewhere else. Fresh fruit and vegetables are not high in sodium.
  • Annzatgoal
    Annzatgoal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good for you for eating lots of fruits and veggies! I'm wondering if your calorie quota is too low and your metabolism is beginning to stall.You might try staying between 1400-1500 to see how that does.

I agree with the other poster about getting plenty of protein, but I'd say not to take in so much that you have to sacrifice the fruits and veggies, whole grains and low-fat dairy. I eat about 4 to 5 half-cup servings of non-starchy veggies and 3 fruits (small to average piece, or about half a cup each serving). There's negligible sodium in the fresh veggies unless it is added while cooking, but of course, canned veggies have quite a bit.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thanks Wlkumpf I will give this a shot, as I checked my dairy and 14 raw baby carrots come in at sodium 65, 1/2 cup lettuce is 11 and 1 celery stalk is 50. Going to really go through my dairy and cut out the things I see that are very high.
  • jojostar85
    Options
    It's actually normal to consume around 1700 mg sodium a day, so if you're within that range, it's fine. Also, your weight will fluctuate by 1 pound day to day depending on whether you're retaining water or not.

I agree about adding more protein, you don't want your body to think it's starving. (Big mistake I made last year, still working to undo it.)
  • misskarenq
    misskarenq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate a great deal within a week, depending on where you are hormonally, how much salt you've had and how much water you've been drinking.
    I only ever weigh myself once a week and it's always on a Friday morning (NEVER a Monday. I don't want to depress myself!). If I'm up a little one week and I know my eating and exercise is on track I don't worry about it, knowing that loss will show up the next week.
    So don't worry. Keep up the home cooking, drink loads of water and remember YOU'RE DOING GREAT!
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.