How often do you....

Options
...Grocery shop? I'm curious to know how much folks spend on groceries and for how many people. It's just my husband and I and we go every week! Just this month we spent $300!!!! That's a lot isn't it? We don't buy any junk food. I guess produce has gotten pretty expensive. We dont buy organic...well just certain foods. Why can't the government mandate that junk and fast food be more expensive than organic? We would be a healthier nation instead of the fattest nation.

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    We spend about $400 a month on 3 people.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    do you have an Aldi nearby? produce there is rarely organic but super cheap.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    We spend about $900 a month on a family of four. Lots of protein for 2 adults means lots of $$$$. :sad: :sad:

I could probably do better if I bought in bulk or started couponing, but I just haven't done it yet. :drinker:
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I live with my mom and $50 worth of groceries can last us about 2 weeks.
  • Substances
    Substances Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I go shopping once every week or so.
    Average two to three hundred dollars a month.
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I spend almost $400....... :/ And its just me right now. YIKES!!!
  • Cambury108
    Options
    Family of 4 me and my husband and we have 2 children (10 and 6). We spend between 450-500 a month.
    If you take the average at 500 that is 125 a week in a 4 week month which makes it 31.25 a person per week to feed. It sounds
    like a lot but really its not. We price match and I use coupons like crazy.
    I am hoping since we are on a family diet now that our grocery bill will go down some. Fresh produce and healthy snack items and other things might be the death of my pocketbook but I would rather that then it be the death of me.

Edited to add I go grocery shopping weekly to every week and a half depending on what the sale items that week are and what coupons I have.
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I spend almost $400....... :/ And its just me right now. YIKES!!!

LOL and I spaced the original question... I shop whenever I am out of something. I am terrible at making lists or trying to remember everything I need. Plus for some weird reason, my fridge is either too cold or not cold enough. So things like lettuce, squash, etc are freezing when they are in the fridge. So they go bad. :( And if I keep the fridge on lower, I dont buy as much, so they dont go bad. And I end up at the grocery store like 2 times a week. GRR... Sucks for my V8 tank!!!
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I shop weekly and it's about 600 to 700 a month.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    family of three (2 adults and a toddler) lots of fresh fruit and berries, lots of chicken and such. we average 800-900$ a month (cnd!)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Actually the (US) government subsidizes junk food (in a way).

We buy a lot of organics, fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains, legumes and what not. We spend about $300/month but we don't eat meat or dairy. We also don't live in cheap produce land.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i go every week for a 'touch up' (usually its something i've run out of or my muscle milk), 2-4x a month for items like certain veggies and fish (depending on how fast i eat it lol). and once a month for big staple stuff that lasts. i usually spend about 200 a month for myself including supplements.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I spend $50-80 on myself. I go once a week on Friday.
  • curxxx
    curxxx Posts: 16
    Options
    It's around $500 for 4 people..
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    We do a big shop about once a month, and a few times a week for fresh produce. Including diapers x2, we spend around 5-600 dollars a month.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    There's a few variables to consider - where you live, what type of store like Costco or a Whole Foods, organic...so answers might be all over the place. There is two of us and we eat out at least three times a week for lunch or dinner. We shop usually twice a week to refresh on produce and meat and our monthly total is probably close to 500 - 600.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It just my husband and I and we spend about $200 a month on groceries. I go to the store once every few days to get ingredients that I'll need for dinner the next few nights to make sure the produce is fresh when it's time to make the food.
  • somemansdream
    Options
    I live in a small town with one grocery store so I try to drive out of town to do it. It is just the two of us and we spend $600 a month. Ouch. Debbie :ohwell:
  • Missrachelf
    Options
    2 adults, 1 five year old. We eat out 2/Month and NEVER get takeout. We spend about 200-225/week. So about 900-1,000 per month. We make our own breakfast and lunch. Buy mostly produce and organic meats. Oh, I also use coupons, but groceries are expensive.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    We do a 'big shop' every 2 to 3.weeks where we buy meat, cleaning products etc..and it would cost around $180. On the other weeks we spend about $80... Plus bits here and ther at discount stores.. I would say we spend $500 a month for 2 adults in southern Ontario, canada. I think groceries seem to cost more here than in the contiguous states...thoughts? Food in our more remote areas are terribly expensive!