Too good to be true?

Options
jo_marnes
jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
So, I bought these Grand Mexicana yellow corn wraps.... primarily because they are gluten free, but also because they are low cal. So low cal in fact, that I can't quite believe it's correct! Per serve (2 wraps, approx 6 inch diameter) is apparently only 27 cals.... according to the packet nutritional info. Really? I can't recall ever seeing any bread product with cals that low. Anyone shed any light?

Replies

• misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I don't know how that's possible since there are 4 calories per gram of carbohydrates and there are 29 carbs per serving. I could just be way off base though...
  • ScottCadi
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-mexicana-corn-tortillas-i159484

I think that this is more realistic. The number of grams vs the macronutrients don't really addup with the numbers you were given.

Too bad too, I got kind of excited!!!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    do you mind posting the full nutritional facts including the ingredients? i've seen some low cal gluten free stuff but it was high in carbs...idk.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Ok, I have copied this straight off the packet....

Per serve (56g)

111 kJ
    2.1 g protein
    1.4 g fat
    28.7g carbs (0.3g sugars)

Ingredients: yellow corn (stoneground corn, food acid 297), cellulose gum, preservative (202, 282), water, corn starch, preservative (280)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have copied this straight off the packet....

Per serve (56g)

111 kJ
    2.1 g protein
    1.4 g fat
    28.7g carbs (0.3g sugars)

The "kj" is the calories.

from Wiki: Kilojoule (kJ), an International System of Units unit of energy equal to 10 [to the third] joules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KJ

• Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The "kj" is the calories.

Well... the kJ is the energy content, but 111 kJ is equivalent to (roughly) 27 Calories. So, at least according to this label, the 27 Calorie note was correct.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I'm wondering if the packaging is wrong.... perhaps 111 cals instead of kJ would seem more realistic