Delicious holy falafel... from scratch.

Options
kayemme
kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
I'm writing this out for an MFP friend, but some of you might like it, too. Falafel is super easy to make and doesn't have to be deep fried. I pan fry mine, and I've even baked them, but they're really better fried.

There are so many variations on the holy falafel, that you can't really mess it up. I had some falafel up in Provincetown (MA) that was more like fried hummus. How far you take the beans is really up to you.

I always use dried chickpeas (garbanzo) and I don't really measure things so be patient and accept the vague for what it is. all of this is pretty much to taste, so you can add more or less of things as you see fit. you can also add other things in there, this is just a base recipe.

maybe 1c of dry chickpeas soaked overnight & boiled until tender.
note: I say maybe because I usually soak like 1/3 of a bag at a time and use some to make hummus and the rest for falafel.

1/2 bunch parsley
a medium sized onion
a couple cloves of garlic
1tsp ground cumin
chili powder, cayenne powder and/or paprika
1/2tsp salt + or -

some people use a little baking powder. I don't find it terribly necessary, but it's not a bad idea if you have some on hand. I'd probably use about a teaspoon or so.

1 egg < this makes it not vegan and actually, not traditional either. the original recipe i have used doesn't call for egg, but whenever i have tried to make it without a binder, it has literally disintegrated in the oil leaving me with absolutely NOTHING to pull out.

you can add many other things, but I would dice them, like: carrots, olives mushrooms or even celery depending on your mood. maybe even super fine beets. get creative with it.

i fry mine in peanut oil, but you can use any high smoke-point oil you want. i've done it in olive oil, but, it's not really a good idea. it gets very smoky and probably actually destroys the nutrition of the oil.

edit: gah, i forgot to tell you HOW to do it.

so i use a food processor. i chop the beans until they are just before hummus stage. then i scoop those out into a bowl. I add dry spices (the mixture should be on the dry side) and then chop the onions & garlic next in the food processor, then i scoop those out, add those to the mix, then chop the parsley in the food processor, same deal.

i like to go heavy on the parsley and sometimes i do it with cilantro or a blend of the two. it doesn't matter if it's curly or flat parsley it's all delicious.

mix it all together and give it a taste. if it tastes good, add the egg, mix / hand beat and then shape into patties.

heat up a heavy bottomed skillet with maybe 1/4" oil or something, not much. let that oil get super duper hot. gently place the falafel in the pan and turn after about 40seconds. drain on a towel or something (i use a cloth).

with the leftover bits of parsley, onion & garlic in the processor bowl i start my hummus. i add the other beans (not chopped) with more garlic, blend, add some lemon juice while blending and some olive oil and i just keep blending until it becomes hummus.

edit again because i keep forgetting things: for the hummus you might want to add some tahini. i sometimes put a roasted pepper in it, too. and heavy on the garlic, yo. that shiz is good for ye.

Replies

• mandersatx
    Options
    I have everything to make this in my house right now. I'm making this in the next couple of days - thanks for the recipe!
  • kayemme
    Options
    you know what else goes really AMAZINGLY PERFECTLY AWESOMELY AWESOME WITH IT?

quinoa lentil salad

1/2c dry quinoa, rinsed & cooked

1/2c dry lentils, rinsed & cooked

everything else to taste:

parsley (i like about 1/2c, chopped)

chopped onions

chopped garlic

chopped cherry tomatoes *

diced cucumber *

salt & pepper

cumin *

cook quinoa & lentils, mix together & cool in fridge

then add chopped other stuff & fluff

serve as you would tabbouleh. best with hummus, tziziki & falafel.

* optional
  • kayemme
    Options
    also tziziki is super easy, it's just yogurt, garlic & dill. maybe a little salt if you use homemade yogurt. probably not necessary with commercially prepared yogurt.

and baba ganouj

roast an eggplant with the skin on, then scoop out the roasted insides and add to the food processor with a butt ton of garlic (it's good for ya!) and some tahini
  • kayemme
    Options
    I have everything to make this in my house right now. I'm making this in the next couple of days - thanks for the recipe!

yer welcome.
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    nom. thanks for this!!!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Saving! Thank you!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    you really remind me of myself and my passion for cooking. I absolutely love experimenting with healthy cooking! I'm not a big fan of pan frying but I would love to try it cooked in a nonstick skillet for a nonfried version. The last time I had falafel it was SO rich and filling! This would be an awesome supper in the middle of winter!
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    bump
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    mostly, *bump*

but, also... I make my tadziki with mint and cucumber, along with the other ingredients mentioned above.
  • kayemme
    Options
    you really remind me of myself and my passion for cooking. I absolutely love experimenting with healthy cooking! I'm not a big fan of pan frying but I would love to try it cooked in a nonstick skillet for a nonfried version. The last time I had falafel it was SO rich and filling! This would be an awesome supper in the middle of winter!

I've baked them before... they're not bad baked! I use cast iron, so it's already non-stick. i've brushed them with a little olive oil before baking and that helped.
  • kayemme
    Options
    mostly, *bump*

but, also... I make my tadziki with mint and cucumber, along with the other ingredients mentioned above.

yum! i haven't put mint in it recently, but i've had it and it's good! also a little in the quinoa salad would be nice, too, but just a little. i prefer a heavier parsley flavor. i'm really big on parsley :)
  • kayemme
    Options
    tonight i had them as "meatballs" for some zucchini "pasta" ... omgosh, it was pretty good! really, they serve an almost endless list of possibilities.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I make my falafel in the crock pot! I brush the bottom and sides of the pot with a little olive oil, then layer in the falafel balls. If I have to stack them up, I brush a little more oil onto the bottom layer of balls before I stack more on top. They take about 4 hours to cook on high.

This does essentially the same thing as the baking method Kayemme described - I just like to use the crock pot instead of the stove whenever I can, because it doesn't heat up the house and is very energy-efficient. I also cook my chickpeas (and other beans) in a small 2qt. crock pot. I've found it works well if I put the dried beans in the pot, then pour on boiling water and cook on high for about 6 hours.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I need to make this soon!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - you are so creative! I must try this... now go try the Baked Onion Bhaji .. .very similar.... :)
    USE Chickpea flour, Vidalia onions and LOTS of cumin!
    http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/12/onion-bhaji-recipe.html
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, those bhajis look incredible. Thanks for the link!
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Everything here sounds delicious! Can't wait to try.